Running with Scissors

by Augusten Burroughs | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Starry-Starry of Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on 3/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, March 05, 2005
Heard a lot about this book so I snapped it up when I found it in a bookshop for remainders for £1!

From the back of the book:
"This is the true story of a boy who wanted to grow up with the Brady Bunch, but ended up living with the Addams Family. Augusten Burrough's mother gave him away to be raised by her psychistrist, a dead ringer for Santa Claus and a certifiable lunatic into the bargain. The doctor's bizarre family, a few patients and a sinister man living in the garden shed completed the tableau. In the perfect squalor of their dilapidated Victorian house, there were no rules and there was no school. The Christmas tree stayed up until summer and Valium was chomped down like sweets. And when things got a bit slow, there was always the ancient electroshock therapy machine under the stairs..."

17th June 2006
On second thoughts, I don't think this is my cup of tea, so I've offered it on the bookrelay site to bestfriends to fulfil a wish. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 2 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Book arrived safe and sound today. I don't think I ever received a bookrelay book that quickly! Thanks Starry-Starry, also for the postcard.

I will make a new journal entry when I've read it.

June 27th: In spite of a high MTBR I moved this one to the top and am already half way through. I like coming-of-age memoirs. This one is a little weird to say the least, but sofar I enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
I finished reading today and enjoyed it (I skipped the chapter about the cat though).
A weird, sometimes hilarious, often crazy childhood memoir. Well written! I have already joined a ring for "Dry" by this author.

Thanks again Starry-Starry

Article in VanityFair

Journal Entry 4 by bestfriends at Jalhay, Liège / Luik Belgium on Tuesday, September 14, 2010
This book should be moving again now. Living in a French speaking part of the country I don't release in the wild very often and so far I nobody was interested to give/send it to. I now offered it at BoochMooch thinking at least the book will get a new home that way. There are a lot of BC-ers that are a member too and if not, they might get interested to become one. You never know.

December 20th update:
Mooched by Lara in France. Will be mailed after the holidays.

Journal Entry 5 by bestfriends at Aachen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, January 03, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/3/2011 UTC) at Aachen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Briefkasten Vaalserquartier (Grenze). Deutsche Post Büchersendung.

To Bookmoocher Lara (non BC) in France by mail.

KTMC # 1 (if the challenge will still be on in 2011!)