South of the Border, West of the Sun

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Ally1665 of Silsden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 3/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Ally1665 from Silsden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 05, 2005
slight little book which is an easy but thoughtful read.

Released 15 yrs ago (3/9/2005 UTC) at Releasing near Dom Tower or around Utrecht in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Near the Dom Tower, 15.00hrs

Journal Entry 3 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 09, 2005
I've written down this title several times, wanting to read this book and now phantomcougar took this with her on her trip to Holland. Well, needless to say I took it.

After reading this book myself, the book will go to zzz.

Journal Entry 4 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, April 08, 2005
Poetically written, sensual story about love. Will definitely read more of Haruki Murakami.

Whatever has form can disappear in an instant.

The hands of a clock run in only one direction.

Everyone just keeps on disappearing. Some things just vanish, as if they were cut away. Others fade slowly into the mist. And all that remains is a desert.

The important question is what is missing. Something's lacking. In me and my life. And that part of me is always hungry, always thirsting.

Journal Entry 5 by zzz from Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on Tuesday, May 17, 2005
I've received this book long time ago, but was absent. In the meanwhile I started reading it and is almost finish. Quite relaxing and pleasant reading - something I was dying for.

Thanks Olifant!

UPDATE: 10.06.2005.
This book is nice, not breathtaking but is OK. As phantomcougar wrote before "slight little book which is an easy but thoughtful read".
I could identify myself with Hajime while he was in my ages but then I found something childish in his acting as an old, ups pardon, middle-aged man (maybe that is coming with age). I really couldn't understand relations between people in marriage and level of sacrifice ability, but then I guess that is love (and I'm single-not in marriage) which could be an explanation.
Anyway, nice book.

Now I've promised this book to my friend after finish with it. But he (my friend) will be absent during the summer so I thought it would be better to give to someone who could read it now instead to collect dust waiting the end of the summer.

Which means Book-Ring!

This is Haruki Murakami!

Journal Entry 6 by zzz at on Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (6/22/2005 UTC) at

Mailing list:
1. Muffin77, Dresden - Germany (read and released)
2. CatharinaL, Tampere - Finland (read and released)
3. Ftarazu, Aveiro - Portugal (read and released)
4. Sirannon, Vitoria - Spain (read and released)
5. Secotyne, Geneva - Switzerland (read and released)
6. bookmaniac70, Sofia - Bulgaria (read and released)
7. CosmicGirl, Belgrade - Serbia (read and released)
8. Xeyra, Palmela - Portugal (read and released)

Safe voyage!!!
ENJOY!

Journal Entry 7 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, July 01, 2005
I just received this by mail today - thanks a lot *zzz* for having included me in the ring and also for all the very nice stamps!!!!!!!! I will spend quite a few hours in the train this weekend - so maybe I can manage to read some =:o)))

Journal Entry 8 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
OH MY!!!!! One of the best books I ever read. I loved Murakami before and maybe my mood at the time I read the book also influenced my opinion about it - but really, a brilliant book, easy to read yet full of feelings!!!! I got totally lost in it (and that did not happen too often lately due to the everyday-stress). Thanks soooo much for having included me in the ring!!! (and sorry for the delay in making the journal entry only a few days after I finished reading it)
-----
PMing CatharinaL now to send it on (will be faster - I will be in Tampere only July 28th....and also then I don't have too carry it all the way there =:o))

sooooo sorry again for the delay - I attended a big conference (www.zebrafish-dresden.com) which was a great one but also very intense.... today was the first chance to go to the PO again - and so the book is on its way to Finland now.... hope it'll be in Tampere before me!

Journal Entry 10 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, July 20, 2005
Received the book this morning -- thanks muffin77 for sending! Will see if I finish reading this before you arrive :-)

Journal Entry 11 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, July 21, 2005
There's something very similar, dream-like and seductively simple in form, in both Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto.

This novel was not the best of Murakami, true, but the intensity and the essential sense of mystery were definitely there. I also love the way his work always leaves an ethereal feeling of ease.

zzz, thank you so much for organizing the bookring!

Journal Entry 12 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, July 25, 2005
Mailing to Ftarazu in Portugal. Boa viagem!

Journal Entry 13 by Ftarazu from Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, August 11, 2005
I had this book waiting for me when I got home from my sunny hollidays. Looking forward to reading it...

Journal Entry 14 by Ftarazu from Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, August 29, 2005
I did love this book. Haruki Murakami has a way of writting that totally hipnosis me and I just cant stop it... This book is full of feelings and is so intense yet so sweet.
Thanks so much for the ring...
Waiting for Sirannon address...

Journal Entry 15 by Sirannon on Monday, September 05, 2005
Just received the book from Portugal, will start reading it soon

Journal Entry 16 by Sirannon on Sunday, September 11, 2005
I'm oficially a Murakami fan after reading this. It's an easy read, very thoughtful book. Perhaps it was my moon when I read it... but I found it brilliant.
I still prefer Norvegian Wood, but will definitely look for more Murakami books
PMing Secotyne for adress

Journal Entry 17 by Secotyne from Carouge, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, October 05, 2005
The book landed this morning in my mailbox. Thank you Sirannon.

Journal Entry 18 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Saturday, October 29, 2005
I got this one along with another Murakami book.It`s my Murakami season! I like so much to read his novels,I can`t wait to throw myself into his mysterious world!

Thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 19 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Just a quick note to apologise for my delay. I have been very busy with work and kids and fell quite a lot behind my reading. I hope I will be ready with this book in 10 days.

Journal Entry 20 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Sunday, November 27, 2005
Started reading. I will finish it pretty soon.

Journal Entry 21 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, November 28, 2005
I loved the book. I always symphatise with the main character,the narrator,in Murakami`s novels.Hajime is a typical Murakami`s character- treasuring the past,saving an ideal childish love.However, at the end he realises that he worships something which has already passed,which is dead in itself.It is one of the main subjects in Murakami`s novels- the longing for the past,for something pure and ideal which has been frozen in the passing of the years. I liked that Hajime recognised the death of his dream and chose to live with the good things he had in the present.The women`s images were distant and lacked personality but I think this was done with a purpose.
I`m very glad I had the opportunity to add this book to the list of Murakami`s novels that I`ve read. I`m a great fan of his writing,and this one added to my high opinion.

Journal Entry 22 by bookmaniac70 at by mail in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (12/2/2005 UTC) at by mail in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent to cosmic-girl in neighbourhood (Serbia).

Journal Entry 23 by CosmicGirl on Sunday, December 18, 2005
i've got it thanks to bookmaniac70. More about it when i read it. Hope that will be soon.

Journal Entry 24 by CosmicGirl at on Friday, May 19, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (5/19/2006 UTC) at

Sent to Xeyra... Hope you'll enjoy!

Journal Entry 25 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, May 30, 2006
It arrived today. It doesn't seem to be a book that'll take me long to read once I start it (under 200 pages). And I've been wanting to read more by this author since I read my first book of his (Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World). Thank you for the bookring zzz, and for sending it to me, Cosmic.

Journal Entry 26 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Friday, June 23, 2006
I can't believe I haven't written a JE on this book yet with my opinion. As always, Murakami delivered a winner novel, with a beautiful story. Like always, the end leaves questions unanswered and events open to interpretation. The whole importance and stygma of being a single child seemed a bit exaggerated for me (too much time spent talking about it!) but this takes place in Japan and theirs is an altogether different culture than mine. It was my second book of his and I really enjoyed it, reading it swiftly, which leaves you thinking about many things, especially the power of love.

This book is making its way home, back to zzz, as of today. Hope it arrives safely. Thank you for the opportunity to read it!

Journal Entry 27 by zzz from Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on Monday, July 03, 2006
OK the ring is over!
This is my first completed ring :)
Thank you all for being part of it.

Journal Entry 28 by KarinAlyssa on Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Wow, this tiny book traveled quite a lot around the world and I'll keep it that way after I've read it of course! Thank you zzz for sending this incredible good-looking book, January suddenly seems quite bright!