The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Caro1 of Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 3/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 04, 2005
This extraordinary, magical novel is the story of Clare and Henry who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. His disappearances are spontaneous and his experiences are alternately harrowing and amusing.

An enthralling read. One of the best books of 2004!

Journal Entry 2 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 04, 2005
Welcome to The Time Traveler's Wife bookring.

Happy Bookring Reading!

Any problems, please PM me.
The list is as follows:

teachie, High Wycombe
Beebarf, Sheffield
tiggsybabes, Pontefract
...then back to me.

Please remember to journal the book BOTH when you have received it (so we all know where it is) and once you have read it (so we all know what you thought of it).

I am really looking forward to hearing your feedback, thanks for participating.

Caroline

Journal Entry 3 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 07, 2005
On its way to UrbanSpaceman in London.

Journal Entry 4 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 08, 2005
Just arrived from Carol1. I'll be as quick as I can!

Journal Entry 5 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 14, 2005
This was a beautful, poignant and inventive story full of humour, romance and sadness in equal parts. I think I'm going to be haunted by it for some time to come.

Will send it on to nice-cup-of tea tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, March 21, 2005
Just received this today from Urban Spaceman - will read & report back!

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, March 22, 2005
I'm sitting at my desk, having just finished reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" and I feel almost wordless; I can't remember the last time a book genuinely trapped me so completely. The narrative holds you fast, and you read hungrily to see how the narrative pans out. As the chapters fall away, you can sense the resolution and you start to prepare for it, but the ending still creeps up on you.

This is the sort of book you read and re-read, to make sense of the narrative and the structure, but also because the book demands it. This will definitely be a book I buy and read many times. I'd like to re-read it now, but I'm eager to post it to Vespa, so that they can enjoy it! (More detailed thoughts below!)

Despite the tear-jerking and heart-wrenching nature of the story, did you find the novel was also positive and uplifting in some way? Or did you find it unremittingly bleak?
(Question courtsey of Caro1 and Random House!)
As with all questions of this type, the answer is somewhat ambigous, there are no clear certainties! Certainly the novel revolves around a main axis of themes: loss, death, grief. The time traveller's wife has to wait, and deal with the repeated loss of her husband; and she deals with the loss of other loved ones. However, alongside this experience of loss comes a realisation and understanding that love, happiness, life are to be experienced in the here and now, that there literally is "no time like the present". I think that this is an idea that we have forgotten in today's world, we hope and worry about what is to come; we regret and fear the past; and we fail to appreciate the life we currently live. I think it is also noteworthy that Henry and Clare are both artists in their own way, entranced by words and book and paper. Other main characters are motivated by music. This reminds us I think that art (with a capital A!) is timeless and has the capacity to teach us about the world. I think that Niffenegger uses the quotatations, particularly Rilke's poetry, to highlight this. Our sense of loss and beauty and emotion are not just experienced by us, they are universal.

Journal Entry 8 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Sending to Vespa
(Posted March 23 2005)

Journal Entry 9 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, April 02, 2005
Arrived this morning. Can't wait to start this one.

Journal Entry 10 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 06, 2005
Wow. Stunning. I kept finding my mind straying to Clair and Henry throughout the day and I cursed the fact that the kids were all on holiday, because I longed for the chance just to curl up in a chair with this book and read it right through.

Journal Entry 11 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 09, 2005
Ahh, I think this is the third ring to arrive this week. However I hope to finish all my coursework next week so I will then be concentrating on reading. I'm really looking forward to reading this book as I've heard lots of good things about it.

Journal Entry 12 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 19, 2005
posted out 18/05/05

Journal Entry 13 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 19, 2005
Despite finding the book confusing at the beginning, with the changes in age, I really enjoyed it. I started to believe in Harry's illness, Chrono-Displacement Disorder, and have spent a lot of time thinking about what it would be like to time travel in such a manner. Although it is intriguing I don't think the lack of control would be nice.

I love the concept of the book and think it is one of the most original I've read recently. I would like to know how the author thought of it. My only dislike of the book is I think it was too long; I was getting bored towards the end. 100 pages less and I think it would have been 10*s.

Journal Entry 14 by heathwitch from Glossop, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 20, 2005
Received this yesterday from akg, and reading it already. And I love what I've read so far :) More detailed entry coming when finished.

Journal Entry 15 by heathwitch from Glossop, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
I started out really, really enjoying this book -- especially the early description of libraries, which made me cry and laugh and whoop, because it means that someone understands: "I have a sort of Christmas-morning sense of the library as a big box full of beautiful books." This is exactly how I feel when I walk into any library, or any bookstore. That crazy nostalgic-kid Yuletide-magic feeling at the thought of books, books, books! all waiting for me to delve into. Squee! :)

And from then on in, I was bouncing about reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" at every available opportunity. Each time I had a spare few minutes I delved back into it. And it was, on the whole, an enjoyable read which I found to be a careful examination of human emotion and the things people do for love. I found the ending to be a little bit of a let-down, but it was nicely saved from being a complete disaster ;p The added quotes from other literary works has encouraged me to go hunting for those, too, like Byatt's "Possession" :)

On its way to teachie now. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 03, 2005
The book arrived this morning.What a super idea to put starting points for discussion at the front, and a matching book mark! I am off on a 3 hour car journey tomorrow with husband doing the driving, so an ideal time to start reading it, can't wait.
I will journal my thoughts when I have finished the book.
I think this is by far the best book I have read this year...the speed it was read in shows that, read in 2 days!
I think that the way this is written is very convincing, his illness is very believable. I certainly didn't find the story bleak.
I thought Henry was very tender and protective with the young Clare and the older Clare reciprocated after she was married to Henry by not telling him things he hadn't yet found out in his life about their relationship.
His dying was a real tear-jerker, had to try hiding the tears as we were driving back down the M6 with the hood of the car down at that part of the book.
I didn't want the story to end.

I am posting this off to Tiggybabes tomorrow

Journal Entry 17 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, June 12, 2005
Caro1 - you were right, I was due another one of your bookrings! This was waiting for me at home when I got back from the meet! Thank you!

Journal Entry 18 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, July 29, 2005
I really enjoyed this book, and read it in two days. It only gets an 8 because of the ending and a couple of inconsistencies - generally, it was a believable and plausible account of time travel - rather better in that respect than "Do You Remember the First Time" another time travelling book I've read recently.

Although the book is suffused with a sense of grief and loss, the powerful love between Clare and Henry made it uplifting and positive.

To me, I thought the book was an allegory on the nature of memory. Although we live in a chronological, linear way, our memories don't. For example, at any given point, I can imagine say my father anywhere between 30 and 64, and because of his stories, and old photographs as a child or a young adult too. And these stories are part of my reality even though chronologically I couldn't have been there.

And of course, memories are all that are left when a loved one leaves, and it is often argued that they never really leave us whilst we can remember them...

Thanks Caro1 for another fascinating book - I think I'm going to sign up to all your rings because they are always interesting reads!

Will PM Tiggsybabes to see if she wants me to post the book or hand it over at the next Sheffield meet.

Journal Entry 20 by tiggsybabes from Pontefract, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 11, 2005
Passed to me at the meet by Nic. I've been looking forward to reading this for ages. I do have 2 or 3 rings by the side of my bed plus I'm reading one now (one of Beebarf's I think!) The 3 of us seem to have very similar taste in books :)

Journal Entry 21 by tiggsybabes from Pontefract, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Beautifully written book. It didn't reduce me to tears, but the ending was very poignant & made me stop & think. I would love to be loved as much as Clare was, it must have been wonderful to have kept her going nearly 50 years on her own waiting to see Henray again.

Very glad to have read this, thank you for sharing :)

Journal Entry 22 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 11, 2006
Passed back to me by tiggsybabes at the Sheffield BXers meet, so I left it to continue its journey. Thanks to all who participated in the ring, I'm pleased it received such positive comments.

Journal Entry 23 by kittiwake on Sunday, February 12, 2006
Picked up at yesterday's Sheffield meet.

Journal Entry 24 by kittiwake on Sunday, June 25, 2006
I lent "The Time Traveller's WIfe" to my mother and she has just given it back to me, saying that it is a very interesting book.

But I still don't fancy reading it myself, so I'll be taking it to the Unconvention next weekend.

Journal Entry 25 by Hudsons-Plym from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, July 06, 2006
Picked up at the BC UK 2006 Birmingham Unconvention specifically for release in the Plymouth Hudsons OBCZ (because it's such a great book).

It's *marvellous* to be able to release a book with such great history.

Cheers!