The London Pigeon Wars

by Patrick Neate | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by parsleyraisin of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on 3/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by parsleyraisin from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, March 04, 2005
This is one of the few books that I started but couldn't finish - so I have decided to send it on a ring...

"the hat maker can't sell her hats, the dot.com whizz kid's gone bust, the tv personality's continually stopped in the street, mistaken for someone else. as for the poet? it's all too embarrassing. meanwhile, london's pigeons are at war. they're not sure what they're fighting about. it could be politics or personality or territory or religion. whatever. but it's definitely got something to do with the appearance of a bloke called murray ...the london pigeon wars is hilarious "

Journal Entry 2 by parsleyraisin from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 06, 2005
This book is now going out on a ray.

The list is:

Caro1
UrbanSpaceman
nice-cup-of-tea

Nice-cup-of-tea is going to release the book in Zurich at the end which is fab!

Journal Entry 3 by parsleyraisin from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 13, 2005
In the post today to Caro1.

Journal Entry 4 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 18, 2005
Arrived safely this morning. There are a couple of books ahead of it on my TBR pile, but I'm a quick reader, so no problem. Thanks for sharing parsleyraisin.

Journal Entry 5 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 03, 2005
Am just starting this. My last book took much longer to read than expected so I'm running behind! Sorry.

Journal Entry 6 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 07, 2005
A really different and quite strange book.
The novel weaves together two parallel stories, the human story of a group of former school friends who on the return of the "social terrorist" Murray into their lives decide to rob a bank for kicks. The second, bird story is narrated by a pigeon who tells of how he and the rest of London's pigeon population became self-aware and capable of language all at once on one particular day. I really enjoyed this part of the story which is written in a brilliant invented language using words like 'peepniks', 'squirms', 'niblets' and 'coochie'.
I'm not sure I necessarily understood all that Neate was getting at, but this was still a quirky and very entertaining read.
Thanks for sharing parsleyraisin.

On its way to UrbanSpaceman.

Journal Entry 7 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 09, 2005
Just had this from Caro1. I have one and half books ahead of it in the queue and a busy week to come, but I'll get on it asap.

Journal Entry 8 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 20, 2005
No need to summarise the story as that's been done by Caro1 (see above). An inventive and interesting tale with an unexpected twist at the end. Thanks to parsleyraisin for raying it.

Will send on to ncot today or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 14, 2005
Just got back from a work trip and this book was waiting for me after having travelled (the book, that is) to Switzerland and back (I think the pigeons must be homing ones!)

Truth is, somehow I got the n-c-o-t's last name wrong (doh!). Anyway, I'll have another go and see if I can't get it right this time.

Journal Entry 10 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, June 16, 2005
Just got this book today, passed on from UrbanSpaceman - thanks! Shall read and journal, and then wild release in Zurich - maybe on one of the Bears! Can't believe it got from London to Zurich in 2 days - US/C must have sent it on a space shuttle or summat!!

Journal Entry 11 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, June 20, 2005
I thought this was a brilliant boo, and I really enjoyed it! As Caro1 says, the invented language is brilliant, and I particularly loved all the alliteration of the pidgeon's language! I also like the use of 2 different fonts to distinguish between human and pidgeon chapters! The same events are related by the pigeons then the humans, and vice versa.

I think Neate really captures the essence of thirty-somethings in London, trying to find their way. My favourite quote:

"This party? It was full of successful London people. They were not all rich or powerful or happy but at least they took the starring roles in the imagined movies of their own lives. They were good at London and knew how to chew on the city like cows on the cud, pick it clean like jackals, gorge on its waste like pigeons." p18

I will be releasing this book in Zurich, I'm going to find a suitable Teddy on which to leave it!

Journal Entry 12 by nice-cup-of-tea at Teddy Summer 2005 in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (6/21/2005 UTC) at Teddy Summer 2005 in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

I went to Buerkliplatz to release this book! The Buerkliplatz is the bridge which connects the Limmat river and Zurich Altstadt with the Zuerichsee (Zurich lake). Zurich doesn't have much of a pigeon problem (too clean and tidy and even the pigeons are 'swiss') but the Buerkliplatz does get some pigeon and swan visitors.

I found the perfect bear, called Zurich lake tourist to look after this London book :-)

Click here for all the Teddy Releases!

Journal Entry 13 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Photo of Buerkliplatz, with pigeons and swans and the lake in the background!