The Joy of [Pi]

by David Blatner | Science |
Registered by Cyberkedi of Atlanta, Georgia USA on 2/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Cyberkedi from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Sunday, February 27, 2005
I have just started reading this, and even after only the first chapter realize this is too good a book not to share. I will be offering it as a Bookring.

Journal Entry 2 by Cyberkedi at Sent in the mail in Atlanta, Georgia -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 09, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (6/9/2005 UTC) at Sent in the mail in Atlanta, Georgia -- Controlled Releases

Sent to begin the book ring. The final order is:

prplpec - Kennesaw GA
sonia23 - Hiram GA
Komowkwa - West Palm Beach FL
ppagano - Miami FL
megi53 - Danville VA
Purplemyst - Seco KY <-- On the way!
smitsp - Cincinnati OH
Ramya - Plainsboro NJ
njdebdeb - Vineland NJ
MaryZee - MD

Journal Entry 3 by prplpec from Kennesaw, Georgia USA on Monday, June 13, 2005
Received today in the mail. :)

Journal Entry 4 by prplpec from Kennesaw, Georgia USA on Friday, June 17, 2005
For a mathophobe like me, I found this book pretty interesting. The history was fascinating, and I especially liked reading about how people go about memorizing pi, although why they would want to is beyond me.
In the mail today to sonia23.

Journal Entry 5 by sonia23 from Hiram, Georgia USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Since I ordered another copy to replace this one, I'll be sending this one out asap.

Journal Entry 6 by Komowkwa from West Palm Beach, Florida USA on Friday, September 30, 2005
I got this a few days ago, but forgot to log it in. I started reading it immediately and love it. I will finish it right away and send it ahead.

Journal Entry 7 by ppagano from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, January 12, 2007
I rec'd this book a weeks or so ago and forgot to journal it. I am reading now and will journal again when finished.

01/22/07 I just finished reading today and was able to share with others at work. I found the history very intriguing and the jokes very humorous.

Thanks for sharing. I pm'd megi53 for her addy.

Journal Entry 8 by ppagano from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Sent to megi53 via post today.

Journal Entry 9 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, January 29, 2007
Received today and already read 2 chapters -- easy to understand (although the pi-to-a-million-places sidebars are intimidating!).

Journal Entry 10 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Friday, February 23, 2007
I've forgotten so much math (didn't get further than trigonometry anyway) -- could not recall anything about rational numbers, transcendental numbers, arctangents, cosines, etc. to help me understand the first part of this book.

However, I persevered and was rewarded beginning with the chapter about the Chudnovsky brothers. What fascinating personalities! Even better was the sarcastic, entertaining Augustus de Morgan and his book, A Budget of Paradoxes. My favorite of his many pithy quotes: "Madmen reason rightly upon wrong premises: Mr. Smith reasons wrongly upon no premises at all." (Mr. Smith being one of the infamous nineteenth-century tinfoil-hatted "cyclometers" who believed they could square a circle.)

I loved the mnemonics for memorizing pi -- think I will stick with the short ones: "How I wish I could calculate pi(e)" and "How I like a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics."

Mailed to Purplemyst on 2-26. Delivery confirmation #:

0306 1070 0004 9688 7458

Journal Entry 11 by purplemoonmyst from Jenkins, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
As tempted as I am to keep this book I will send it to the next person on the list on Monday