Lullaby

by Chuck Palahniuk | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by non-fiction of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 2/25/2005
Journal Entry 1 by non-fiction from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, February 25, 2005
(I read this book a couple of years ago now so my memory of the smaller plot details are a bit hazy..)

When it first came out I thought this would be the first massive mainstream success for Chuck Palahniuk (not counting "Fight Club" that rode on the coat tails of the movie version). The basic plot and premise are great but the execution seemed to fail to fire on all cylinders..at least for me.

A journalist studying cot deaths comes finds a strange common element - a book of lullabys containing an ancient african "Culling song" (meant to rid families of sick or unwanted children in hard times). Looking back to incidents in his own past he realises the song's powers are very real and sets out on a mad quest to rid the world of all printed copies of the book containing it. It turns into a bit of a road trip story and contains a cast of the usual wild & wacky characters.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, February 26, 2005
Picked up at the breakfast meetup this morning (nice to meet you, non-fiction!)

I've heard great things about this book, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

v

Journal Entry 3 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, March 03, 2005
A seriously powerful book - difficult in parts, but with such amazing ideas that it's worth the struggle. I've never read Fight Club (though I want to even more now!), but I've seen the movie, and the feel of this book is very similar to the narration in the film - the feeling that there are many different levels of understanding, and we're not sure which level we (or the narrator) are at; the repetition, not just of words and phrases, but of scenes and ideas, so that it becomes a kind of exploration, a taking of each idea as far as it can go; and above all the menacing feeling throughout that there's something really big going on that we're just catching glimpses of.

I think I'm starting to ramble, so I'll give up trying to explain why I enjoyed the book, and just say it was really good :-)

v

P.S. Someone's just *got* to turn Lullaby into a movie - it's begging for it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, March 24, 2005
This book is going in a goody bag for the NZBC Convention - hope whoever gets it has a fantastic convention!

v

Journal Entry 5 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, March 25, 2005
This sounds like an interesting book from what I briefly read on the back of the book. :o)

Seems it was in someone else's goody bag and now I have it, as it came from the table......

Journal Entry 6 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, May 03, 2005
My boyfriend's sister has borrowed it to read.

Journal Entry 7 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, April 12, 2006
I have the book back now, and I finished a book this afternoon.
So I am starting this one tonight. (Wednesday 12th)

Journal Entry 8 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, April 19, 2006
The book was ok, an interesting way of being able to kill people.
I found it was often repetative which annoyed me at times. Too much describing of stuff.
The whole foot thing grossed me out!!
I will see if anyone wants it at the next Meetup or it will be released into the wild.

Journal Entry 9 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Took this to the Meetup tonight.

Journal Entry 10 by Jason5012 from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Thursday, December 14, 2006
A bit too disturbing for my liking,but I'm sure someone out there wil enjoy it