The Diamond Age

by Neal Stephenson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BigrTex of Cedar Park, Texas USA on 2/24/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BigrTex from Cedar Park, Texas USA on Thursday, February 24, 2005

From the Publisher (via Amazon.com):
Decades into our future, a stone's throw from the ancient city of Shanghai, abrilliant nanotechnologist named John Percival Hackworth has just broken the rigorous moral code of his tribe, the powerful neoVictorians. He's made an illicit copy of a state-of-the-art interactive device called A Young Ladys Illustrated Primer Commissioned by an eccentric duke for his grandchild, stolen for Hackworth's own daughter, the Primer's purpose is to educate and raise a girl capable of thinking for herself. It performs its function superbly. Unfortunately for Hackworth, his smuggled copy has fallen into the wrong hands.

Young Nell and her brother Harv are thetes--members of the poor, tribeless class. Neglected by their mother, Harv looks after Nell. When he and his gang waylay a certain neo-Victorian--John Percival Hackworth-- in the seamy streets of their neighborhood, Harv brings Nell something special: the Primer.

Following the discovery of his crime, Hackworth begins an odyssey of his own. Expelled from the neo-Victorian paradise, squeezed by agents of Protocol Enforcement on one side and a Mandarin underworld crime lord on the other, he searches for an elusive figure known as the Alchemist. His quest and Nell's will ultimately lead them to another seeker whose fate is bound up with the Primer-- a woman who holds the key to a vast, subversive information network that is destined to decode and reprogram the future of humanity.

Vividly imagined, stunningly prophetic, and epic in scope, The Diamond Age is a major novel from one of the most visionary writers of ourtime.

Journal Entry 2 by BigrTex from Cedar Park, Texas USA on Thursday, February 24, 2005
I received this book for my birthday a few years ago. It's an excellent book by one of this age's best Science Fiction authors.

I enjoyed it alot, but probably won't read it again. I occasionally still think of it when looking at or thinking about PDAs or eBooks.

I'm offering it up on the "A 'Gem' of a book" bookrelay this evening in exchange for Goldilocks by Ed McBain (the first Matthew Hope Novel).

Journal Entry 3 by BigrTex at on Monday, February 28, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (2/28/2005 UTC) at

I PM'd Merinda when I put it up on bookrelay because she had it on her wish list. She picked it up and I sent it to her this afternoon.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Merinda from Salem, Ohio USA on Saturday, March 05, 2005
Whee! Received this today and can't wait to read it =)