Seabiscuit: An American Legend

by Laura Hillenbrand | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by thebooksleuth of Columbus, Ohio USA on 2/23/2005
Journal Entry 1 by thebooksleuth from Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, February 23, 2005
Oh, so much better than the film!

I liked the film so much that I walked directly from the theatre to the Barnes & Noble and bought the book. And, boy am I glad I did.

A remarkable story.

Journal Entry 2 by thebooksleuth from Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, March 09, 2005
On hold for starreader's address.

Journal Entry 3 by thebooksleuth from Columbus, Ohio USA on Tuesday, March 15, 2005
On its way to stareader Saturday, March 19. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by stareader from Jeremiah, Kentucky USA on Friday, April 22, 2005
Thanks for the book!

Journal Entry 5 by stareader from Jeremiah, Kentucky USA on Monday, May 30, 2005
Sending to another bookcrosser!

Journal Entry 6 by Adia415 from Cleves, Ohio USA on Monday, June 06, 2005
Thank you for sending this along my way. I just watched the movie a few weeks ago, and I'm excited to read the book!

Journal Entry 7 by Adia415 at Cleves, Ohio USA on Friday, October 18, 2019
Despite having very mixed feelings about the sport of horse racing, I really enjoyed the book. The author wrote it in such an engaging way that I found myself really attached to everyone by the end. The historical context is also just fascinating.

It'll be available until I can release it.

Journal Entry 8 by Adia415 at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (10/22/2019 UTC) at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece

Mailing out this week to the most recent winner of the Book and Bookmark sweeps. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Monday, November 04, 2019
This interesting book arrived safely in Delphi along with a set of cute magnetic cactus-themed bookmarks and a beautiful Murphin Ridge Inn postcard.
The biography of a racehorse! It sounds intriguing!
Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 10 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Thursday, March 12, 2020
This is not a book or story I was aware of, but it turned out to be a very interesting and good read.

I'm not sure how I feel about horse races, but Laura Hillenbrand managed to write a book both educative and captivating. There is information about many diverse things and many horses and people, the main focus been of course Seabiscuit his self, but also his trainer Tom Smith, his owner Charles Howard, his main jockey Red Pollard, his replacement jockey George "Iceman" Woolf... All of them unique personalities, leading interesting lives.

The author managed to make everything in the book interesting, even the description of specific races, to a reader who's not familiar with horse races at all. She communicates in an engaging way the feelings of the individuals, their struggles and the general ambience of the era too. I wasn't expecting to find this book that charming, but I did, actually I found it even moving at times.

Seabiscuit's story might be known in the USA ( or not?), but it was completely alien to me and I'm happy I discovered it, especially as I got to know it through this engaging book. A book that I would never had picked by myself, but hey, the charms of been a BookCrosser...

Thanks once again for sharing everyone!

Released 3 mos ago (5/7/2020 UTC) at Non-Fiction Sweepstake, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Seabiscuit is now travelling to meet the winner of the Non-fiction sweepstake, Round 14!

Good Luck little book and Don't forget to write your news from time to time!