Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Left Behind #1)

by Tim LaHaye, Jerry Jenkins | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by Libby2 of Omaha, Nebraska USA on 2/21/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, February 21, 2005
Book #1 of the popular series of apocalypyic thrillers. This was a New York Times Best Seller in the Christian fiction genre. Enjoy! UPDATE: Mailed to BookCrosser "rednumbertwo" in a controlled-release trade on March 14, 2005.

Journal Entry 2 by rednumbertwo from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 23, 2005
A book came in the mail for me today! Thanks, Libby2!
The series is described on the inside flap as "wildly popular - and highly controversial." From the back: "In one cataclysmic moment, millions around the globe disappear."
What will happen? How will people cope? I will be reading this very soon.

Journal Entry 3 by rednumbertwo from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 24, 2005
Ok, I admit it. I received the book yesterday and finished it today. But I'm sorry, a book about the apocalypse is not going to sit on the shelf very long with me around. I definitely enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly perfect.

I guess I felt sort of 'manipulated' throughout the whole thing. Maybe it's me being paranoid, but knowing the book was co-written by a Bible prophesy scholar makes me uncomfortable, as if I'm expected to start believing or something. A few points that were not so clear to me. For instance, were any non-Christians taken up in the Rapture? The book stated that people from all countries were taken, but that doesn't specify their religion. Also, why didn't people freak out more? I mean, if half my family disappeared and I was convinced that the Second Coming was around the corner, I think I'd be a little more upset than just weeping a little.

I'm hoping to read more of this series, because it's not everyday that you read books featuring the AntiChrist. However, it's not topping my list of favorite end-of-the-world books. Points for originality, though. And points for sending me to read Revelations again.

Journal Entry 4 by Matty from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, June 02, 2005
Oh man! I am really excited! My sister sent me three apocalyptic themed books from Halifax. This may have to jump the queue in my TBR pile!

Journal Entry 5 by Matty from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, June 29, 2005
I liked it! The Christian angle was only slightly creepy for me although I also was disturbed by the idea that only born again Christians seem to go to heaven. I love apocolyptic stuff so I think that I will try to find the many (many) books in the series and keep reading.

My mom expressed an interest in reading it so I will let her read it before it becomes "officially" available.

Journal Entry 6 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Matty brought this to the Meet-Up tonight and I just couldn't resist taking it home because I am fascinated by end of the world stories. Looking forward to it. Thanks Matty.

Journal Entry 7 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Ironically, I am writing this review on June 6, 2006 (06/06/06) which some people claim will be the day of the apocalypse. If I believed the message of this book I would think only practising Christians would be called to heaven and the rest of us will be left to suffer on earth. Although I was raised in the Christian church, I was never confirmed and I do not attend church regularly. I would say I believe in a supreme being but I don't think one has to attend church or belong to an organized religion to be a good person. I certainly don't think that all those other people in the world who are religious but not Christian are doomed. Christianity has been responsible for a lot of death and destruction such as the Crusades and the struggles in Northern Ireland between the Protestants and the Catholics. So I don't think it can claim a moral high ground as this book leads the reader to believe.

Having said all that, it is probably not surprising that I gave this book such a low rating. However, that is not the only problem I had with it. I thought the book was repetitious for those parts of it that dealt with seeking salvation. On the other hand, there really was very little attention paid to the fall-out of having millions of people disappear. I find it hard to believe that within days of such a cataclysmic event, air travel and international meetings would continue as usual. I was also irritated by the lack of discussion of events outside of the great U. S. of A.

I'm going to offer this book on cnfotp's Widely Travelled Release challenge to see if anyone wants to have it travel further. If not, I'll release it myself.

Journal Entry 8 by cnfotp on Wednesday, July 05, 2006
-*Well Travelled Wild Release Challenge 2006*~

This book arrived safely with me 2 days ago. Apologies for the delay in making this entry but I lost my internet connection for a while...

To be read and released for the challenge... I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks gypsysmom :)

Journal Entry 9 by cnfotp on Thursday, August 03, 2006
I completely echo gypsysmom's thoughts on this book. There wasn't enough attention paid to the wordwide event, the book is focused on the USA and Israel. Everybosy did seem too calm and life did just seem to carry on as normal - there are only passing references to the dramatic increase of crime and the atmosphere of pre-Rapture life isn't caught as I would have expected.

It does come across as though the authors are on a mission to convert people to Christianity. To be fair, that probably is the goal, and it is a very good attempt at that. The messages in this book could easily be seen as being forced upon the reader.

However, all that said, behind the religion and the inaccuraces here lies a great thriller. The scene is set on a aeroplane when halfway through the journey a large number of passengers vanish leaving their clothes behind. It soon becomes apparent this has happened everywhere and all the children and babies worldwide have vanished. I was taken with it immediately and did not put the book down until I had finished it.

I thought the passages where the characters examined why they had been left behind depsite being Christians very poignant. The hypocrosy of the church is something that keeps me away.

I have just checked the forum and it seems that no-one else was waiting for this book - so it's coming out with me on my travels today to be released for the Well Travelled Wild Release Challenge (release notes to come!)

Thank you to gypsysmom for sending this over from Canada - a truly well travelled book!

Journal Entry 10 by cnfotp at The Broadway in Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 03, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (8/3/2006 UTC) at The Broadway in Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

**RELEASED FOR THE WELL TRAVELLED WILD RELEASE CHALLENGE**

I left this on one of the concrete benches outside the shops. It's an interesting read, I hope whoever finds it enjoys it :)

Journal Entry 11 by marmite88 from Faringdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 24, 2006
Thank you for leaving the book on the bench, What a pleasent surprise. An easy read, enjoyed it immensely , think the fact that it was my first traveling book added to the experience... Have passed the book on to a friend who promises to release the book once he has completed his journey....