The Greatest Stories Never Told : 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder,

by Rick Beyer | History |
Registered by quilts4u of St. Petersburg, Florida USA on 2/20/2005
Journal Entry 1 by quilts4u from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, February 20, 2005
FROM THE PUBLISHER

History isn't always made by great armies colliding or by great civilizations rising or falling. Sometimes it's made when a chauffeur takes a wrong turn, a scientist forgets to clean up his lab, or a drunken soldier gets a bit rowdy. That's the kind of history you'll find in The Greatest Stories Never Told.

This is history candy — the good stuff. Here are 100 tales to astonish, bewilder, and stupefy: more than two thousand years of history filled with courage, cowardice, hope, triumph, sex, intrigue, folly, humor, and ambition. It's a historical delight and a visual feast with hundreds of photographs, drawings, and maps that bring each story to life. A new discovery waits on every page: stories that changed the course of history and stories that affected what you had for breakfast this morning.

Consider:

* The Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer
* Some Roman officials were so corrupt that they actually stole time itself
* Three cigars changed the course of the Civil War
* The Scottish kilt was invented by an Englishman

Based on the popular Timelab 2000® history minutes hosted by Sam Waterston on The History Channel®, this collection of fascinating historical tidbits will have you shaking your head in wonder and disbelief. But they're all true. And you'll soon find yourself telling them to your friends.

Journal Entry 2 by quilts4u at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Jersey City, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (3/30/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Jersey City, New Jersey USA

Found this one on Famfatale's wish list, so it's off to her. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by FamFatale from Chantilly, Virginia USA on Wednesday, April 06, 2005
I received it today and have already started devouring it. Am loving it. Three hours later - Finished. Enjoyed it. Thanks so much !!

Journal Entry 4 by FamFatale at on Sunday, May 01, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (5/1/2005 UTC) at

Released to kayote via bookrelay

Journal Entry 5 by wingkayotewing from Champaign, Illinois USA on Tuesday, May 10, 2005
This came a few days ago, but since I sat right down and started reading it, I decided to wait on journaling it until I was done.

I LOVED this book! The stories were fascinating, most I'd never heard of before, they gave enough detail you had some feel for what was going on, and the illustrations were nifty. There was lots of information, and some just amusing bits of trivia.

The first train Lionel built was a small wooden one with a steam boiler of his own design when he was a child. It exploded. :) (And he invented the flashlight--but considered it a flowerpot illuminator!)

I knew about the Articles of Confederation, but didn't know there were presidents under them. Very interesting. Wonder why it was decided to ignore that bit in history class?

Very interesting. I've had to resist reading so much of this aloud. Because I'm sure I'd annoy everyone with breaking in to read every few minutes. Very much recommended.

Not sure where this copy is going next. I think I'll ask Shimono if he wants to read it, otherwise I may just hang onto it until I find my own copy. Because I do want one. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingkayotewing at Urbana, Illinois USA on Sunday, July 29, 2018
After moving, I decided I HAD to start letting go of books (and a lot of other things. So many boxes. So very many boxes). So I'm releasing a bunch that were on my keeper shelf.

My neighbors were having a garage sale, so I put out a "free" box and put this in. It was gone when I brought the box in.

Enjoy!