Where or When?

by Anita Shreve | Romance |
Registered by ILuvToRead2 of Chicago, Illinois USA on 2/20/2005
Journal Entry 1 by ILuvToRead2 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, February 20, 2005

Race to 2 Million Challenge

Journal Entry 2 by Apolonia from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Friday, March 18, 2005
Book is here, thanks. I will journal again once I've read it and deceide where it's going next.

Journal Entry 3 by Apolonia from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, March 29, 2007
I am about to start this book. I am going to release it at the 2007 Bookcrossing Concention in Charleston, South Carolina when I'm finished.

Journal Entry 4 by Apolonia from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Monday, April 02, 2007
Annotation
A fiery, destructive affair begins when a businessman happens upon a picture of an old flame. Their passion is rekindled, beginning a powerful relationship that turns into dark obsession.

From the Publisher
Charles Callahan is reading the Sunday paper when an alluring and oddly familiar photo catches his eye: it is Sian Richards, his first love, a face he has not seen for more than three decades. He is entranced by her image, flooded by memories of their teenage summer together, and utterly conpelled to make contact with her again. Charles sends Sian a letter, knowing all the while that "from the very first sentence of the very first note there was nothing innocent about it." Sian writes back - she is now a poet living with her husband and small child on an onion farm in Pennsylvania. She is intrigued that Charles has sought her out after so many years but wary of where their correspondence might lead. For Charles, troubled by financial woes, on the verge of losing his home, and concerned about the security of his family, the letters become a secret obsession and another source of instability in his already complicated life. Despite their reservations, the power of Charles and Sian's attraction leads them to meet again . . . and again. As Charles understands it, "for the two of them, eros is linked with time. It is the very urgency of time he dreads, the sense that their minutes together are short and numbered, that he must say what he has come to say before she leaves, that gestures and words cannot be wasted." Anita Shreve takes the classic theme of Romeo and Juliet and gives it an unusual twist: two lovers struggle against formidable odds, reaching across a lifetime to reclaim what they once lost. In doing so, they set in motion a tumultuous series of events that moves inexorably to a shocking conclusion.

I have to say I was disapointed with this one. I have read a couple others by Anita Shreve and enjoyed them, or at least had a strong reaction to them but this one just didn't do it for me. I though the end was bad, and I didn't like the camp flashbacks. I didn't really think they were relevant.
I am bring this with me to the 2007 Bookcrossing Convention, I am going to give it to Aceofhearts as a Rabck.
I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 21, 2007
received as a RABCK from Apolonia at the Charleston Convention. Thanks so much

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 30, 2011
Charles Callahan is reminded of his first love, Sian Richards when he chances across the picture of her in the newspaper. Charles met Sian at a summer camp in his late teens. He decides to write a letter to her and warily she answers him back.

Charles is in the midst of financial woes but has a wife and three children. Sian is living on a farm with one child. The letter-writing becomes more and more intense until a meeting is arranged and then an affair starts.

I liked the premise of lost love but found this book to be way off the mark. First of all, this was lust and not anything approaching love. I find it hard to believe an all-encompassing love could be found at a summer camp and left behind all those years while each of them found alternate partners. The ending also was completely unsatisfying.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2012
mailed to MsJo who won this in a YBS swap on BookObsessed

Journal Entry 8 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Saturday, January 21, 2012
Well, I hope I like this one more than apolonia or AceofHearts did.