The First Stone

by Helen Garner | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by hunnyb of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 2/19/2005
Journal Entry 1 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 19, 2005
About 2 uni students who alleged that their college supervisor sexually abused them. Highlights issues of sex, power and where feminism has taken this generation's women...

Journal Entry 2 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 03, 2006
I don't think I'm mature/ knowledgeable enough to understand all the things going on in this book. I suppose it comes down to the dangers of making assumptions about people and their actions - for example the students' supporters about Garner, and also Garner about them in turn. Has feminism really gone too far? Garner quotes a friend in saying that it has "[taken] an idea whose purpose was to free people, and turn it into something that strangles truth". I'm not quite sure how to react to that one...

Will release at the new OBCZ?

Journal Entry 3 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, November 13, 2006
Bringing along to November meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 14, 2006
I resently read Garner's 'Joe Cinque's consolations' and was incredibly moved by both the story and the writing.

In the last few weeks, all of Garner's books have found their way into my house.

Now, all I need do is read them! But, I am very much looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 5 by jubby at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 28, 2017
Dashing out the door and plan to release this at The Sydney Writer's Festival.

Finally read a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Will have to come back and edit later.

Released 2 yrs ago (5/28/2017 UTC) at Sydney Writers' Festival, The Rocks in Sydney, New South Wales Australia

Plan to release near Pier 2/3.