Crime and Punishment

by Fydor Dostoevsky | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by DJgib of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 2/12/2005
Journal Entry 1 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 12, 2005
One of the most impressive books I have ever read. Dostoyevski is extremely clever in making you feel sorry for a man who commits a murder for no apparent reason, and afterwards cracks under the strain. A true page-turner, though it is a little depressing.

Journal Entry 2 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 15, 2005
I'm turning this into a bookray. Participants so far, in mailing order:

Aramena (US, ship int)
Rico-Verde (US)
kitiarablue (US, ship US)
Sunshinedreem (US, ship US)

As soon as I've got Aramena's address I'll get it under way

Journal Entry 3 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, March 31, 2005
This arrived yesterday! I shall probably start reading it within the next day or two.

Journal Entry 4 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
I agree, you do actually feel sympathetic for the main character, in fact, when he was ill, I actually forgot for awhile that he had committed a murder! Some of the reading was awkward for me, the constant use of complete names, even when characters are in conversation with each other, and why does no one actually talk, but it's always he shouted, or she cried? Everyone seems so excited and agitated all the time, it wore me out!

Sunshinedreem said she is fixing to move and to skip her, so I have PMd Rico-Verde today for an address. Thanks for sharing this, DJgib, while I'm not sure if I really enjoyed the book or not, it was an experience!

Journal Entry 5 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Friday, April 22, 2005
Mailing to next Rico-Verde today!

Journal Entry 6 by Rico-Verde from Leesburg, Florida USA on Tuesday, April 26, 2005
Recived today; thanks Aramena. I'm rather swamped at the moment. It will likely take at least a month for me to read this. I hope kitiarablue's not in a tremendous hurry. If so, I'll happily defer and catch it later.

***

Just finished--a month on the button.

***

Excellent story impressively told. This is the first I've read of Dostoyevsky. Surprisingly bleak, amazingly rich. Wonderful interweaving of stories & characters. And what characters! Raskolnikov, Razumihin, Svidrigailov--they're all fascinating in their own ways. This is one to reread--I'll have to get a copy for myself at some point. Thanks for setting up this ring, I really enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 7 by Rico-Verde from Leesburg, Florida USA on Thursday, May 26, 2005
Sent to kitiarablue--enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by kitiarablue from Jersey City, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Seems as though I'm the last one on the list! I have another bookring book started at the moment, so I will be getting to this one next! Thanks DJgib!

Journal Entry 9 by kitiarablue from Jersey City, New Jersey USA on Sunday, November 02, 2008
I finally got around to reading this one! I agree with the above comments, but I have to say it was a little hard for me to get through this book. Like Aramena said, it was a little taxing the way the names are used and I couldn't get a grasp on the whereabouts of the book, which contributed to it taking so long to finish. I also just saw that Sunshinedreem was moved to be after me, so i'm going to pm her on the off chance that she still wants to read it... Thanks again DJgib!