The Color Purple

by Alice Walker | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by harmaja of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 2/12/2005
Journal Entry 1 by harmaja from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 12, 2005
I've read The Color Purple in Finnish, and I quite liked it. I know CandyDarling wants to read it in English, so I'll pass this copy on to her first.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCandyDarlingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 07, 2005
Got this at the Helsinki BC-meeting, thank you!

Book description:
The Color Purple is the story of two sisters—one a missionary to Africa and the other a child wife living in the South—who remain loyal to one another across time, distance, and silence. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, this classic of American literature is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life.

From Wikipedia:
The Color Purple is an acclaimed 1982 epistolary novel by American author Alice Walker. It received the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award. It was later adapted into a film and musical of the same name.

Taking place mostly in rural Georgia, the story focuses on female African American life during the 1930s in the Southern United States, addressing the numerous issues in the black female life, including their exceedingly low position in American social culture. Because of the novel's sometimes explicit content, particularly in terms of violence, it has been the frequent target of censors and appears on the American Library Association list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000 at number eighteen.