Dancing with the Devil (Vampire Series #1) (BOOKRING)
8 journalers for this copy...
Product Description from Amazon.com:
Private Investigator Nikki James grew up on the tough streets of Lyndhurst and believes there's nothing left to surprise her. All that changes the night she follows teenager Monica Trevgard into the shadows-and becomes a pawn caught in a war between two very different men. One fills her mind with his madness, the other pushes his way into her life-and her heart. Nikki knows how dangerous love can be, but if she wants to survive, she must place her trust in a man who could easily destroy her.
Michael Kelly has come to Lyndhurst determined to end the war between himself and another brother of the night. For 300 years he has existed in life's shadows, gradually learning to control the life from death cravings of a vampire. Nikki not only breaches his formidable barriers with her psychic abilities, but makes Michael believe he may finally have found a woman strong enough to walk by his side and ease the loneliness in his heart. But will his love be enough to protect her from a madman hell-bent on revenge? Or will it drive her into his enemy's deadly trap?
Only together can they overcome the evil threatening to destroy them both. But the secrets they keep from each other might prove to be the greatest threat of all.
The story takes place in Ontario. Nikki is a psychic Private Investigator who is introduced to the world of vampires because of a case she's working regarding a missing girl. Michael is a 300 year old vampire, an ally who offers to help her track down the vampire Jasper, who's wreaking havoc on the city and has turned the missing girl, Monica Trevgard, as a pawn in his dangerous game. But Nikki, with a past full of hurt, is afraid to trust Michael, and is even more afraid of her feelings for him, even before finding out he's a vampire.
On her site, Keri calls this book a vampire romance, but it actually fits better into the mystery or horror genre, which is where Amazon classified it, since the romance side of things is more of a side story than the main theme.
Ring Participants (last modified 14-Mar-2008)
(current reader in bold)
· Morgaine77, Switzerland (ship pref Europe)
· Rianonne, Austria (ship pref Europe)
· NeedSun, Ontario, Canada (ship Int'l)
· SandDanz, IN, USA (ship pref US)
· explorer1118m, NJ, USA (ship pref US/CAN)
· Kyrissaean, NH, USA (ship pref US)
· MaplesFlowers, TN, USA (ship Int'l)
· Amberkatze, Austria (ship pref Europe)
· Kislany, Cyprus (ship Int'l)
· CandyDarling, Finland (ship Int'l)
· Lemonitsa, Canada (ship Int'l)
· CheriePie, Massachusetts, USA (back home to me)
- The above list order may be modified at any time to accomodate new participants or those who withdraw from the ring. So you should always refer to the list included in this journal entry before mailing the book after you've finished with it.
- After messaging the next person in the list for their address, you should allow at least a week for a reply, to allow for vacations, etc. You may also want to send more than one PM if they don't reply the first time since BookCrossing PMs sometimes get lost in transit. In Search Of (ISO) posts in the Bookring Forum also work well. And of course, remember to check their profile page in case they've posted news of their whereabouts, or an email address that is more reliable than BookCrossing PMs. If you still haven't heard from them after 1-1/2 to 2 weeks, skip them and move on to the next person in the list. (Also note this in the journal entry so I don't think that person was accidentally overlooked.)
- Please post a journal entry here (1) when you first receive the book so we all know it has arrived safely, and (2) after you've finished reading it and are ready to send it along. Of course, please include your thoughts and opinions on the book itself too. :)
- For courtesy sake, please try not to keep this book for more than 6 to 8 weeks as others are also waiting to read it. If you don't think you can get to the book in that time frame, you can request to be skipped over and/or added to the end of the ring instead. I don't mind if you need to keep it a little bit longer, but just use your best judgment so as not to hold up the ring for all the participants waiting behind you.
- Late participants are welcome—PM me if you'd like to join. Be sure to specify your shipping preferences, and I'll accommodate them if I can. If you're joining the ring after it's already begun shipping, know that your place in the list will be determined based on your geographic location in conjunction with what is best for the other participants. And it may not always be possible to honor requests to ship only within a particular region.
- Please do not ask to join any of my rings if you're not a responsible and reliable BookCrosser. If you happen to see someone in the list who you believe is questionable, please let me know immediately. I do research names I don't recognize and use a number of methods for spotting bad Crossers, but I certainly appreciate any additional info.
- Remember that at the end of the list, THIS BOOK SHOULD BE RETURNED TO ME, not released into the wild. I enjoy rereading my favorite books over time, and lend them out to other people in my life too, who are not necessarily members of BookCrossing.
- Finally, I like to ask the US participants of my rings who are shipping overseas to consider all shipping options in addition to surface mail. Particularly with lightweight books weighing less than 16 ounces, Air Mail or Global Priority Mail (GPM) is sometimes a more efficient shipping option for certain countries, and certainly worth it to cut the shipping time down by a month or two.
THANKS AND HAPPY READING!
Will pass it on to Rianonne once I get home from the States.
Oh well, I can't like all the vampy books out there, can I? ;-)
Thanks for sharing Cherie, the book will travel back to Europe with me and continue its travels from there.
WILD RELEASE NOTES:
Travelling to Vienna... :-)
There are some Rings before it but I promise to hurry and it may even sneak itself inbetween ;)
The story is in a contemporary setting with traditional vampire lore and a kind of detective tale which made it a very comfortable read today. The lines of good and evil are clear and the violence as the two adversaries battle would not offend most romance readers.
True, there isn't that much action as in the Anita Blake books! Still I like both main characters and their paranormal realm to speculate about the future relationship of Nikki and Michael after that ending ... and to wonder which other groups (shapeshifter, weres, witches and so on) Keri Arthur may introduce in her sequel.
CheriePie, thanks for sharing!
I just PMed SandDanz to see if she is still interested in getting it next. I'll pass it on as soon as I hear back.
Thanks Cherie for sharing this book. Any chance you will be sharing the next one soon? (please?)
Edit July 11: Sent by air today to SandDanz
Other than that thank you! ;)
So I will keep hold of this until I send something else to Kislany. It most likely won't take long...I seem to be sending her books every other week or so ;)