Strawberry Girl

by Lois Lenski | Children's Books |
Registered by WintersQT4ever of Ypsilanti, Michigan USA on 2/6/2005
Journal Entry 1 by WintersQT4ever from Ypsilanti, Michigan USA on Sunday, February 06, 2005
I bought this book in a sale at the neighboring city's friends of the library bag sale. I hope someone out there enjoys it!
-Danielle

Journal Entry 2 by WintersQT4ever from Ypsilanti, Michigan USA on Tuesday, March 08, 2005
Reserved for spacedog.
-Danielle

Journal Entry 3 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 02, 2005
got as a RABCK. thanks!

---
6/30/05: finished this today. this book reminded me a lot of laura ingalls wilder's little house on the prairie books (inc. mouth-watering scenes of meals!). lenski does a great job of telling the stories about the life and times of these "backwoods" people without condescension and with a lot of affection, esp. for her young protagonist. lenski makes the dialect poetic rather than quaint, and the story is enjoyable, although the balance between educational episodes and actual plot and characterization is a bit off at times, particularly with the somewhat perfunctory resolution. but she does bring out some touching moments in the conflicts between the two families and how it mirrors the conflicts between the old and the new florida.

will be contributing this to the newbery bookrings round 2.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookhunter21wing from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
I've wanted to read this for a while, but kept forgetting to get it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookhunter21wing from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, October 12, 2005
Oh dear, I had high hopes for this, but it took me forever to read it. It was interesting to get a little familiar with the language of this dialect. I liked that there was no "translation" and the reader could pick up from the usage what the language meant. But I don't really like to read books in dialect. I also had a hard time getting past the idea that the people were "Crackers" and that was a good thing. From a standpoint of getting to know the history and lifestyle of a people of another region of the US at a certain period, it was very interesting to see the changes from open range to fruit and crop farming. I really liked Birdie's compassion, appreciation of the beauty of her world, and hard-working attitude. The book was more a series of vignettes than a real story, and I found Slater's conversion completely implausible and the choice of ending of the book very odd. I also found Birdie's father to be an oddly unsympathetic character. I mean!

Will be sending this on to dancing-dog tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Just rec'd with The Giver - will start it soon.

Journal Entry 7 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Thursday, October 27, 2005
Like bookhunter21, I had a little problem with the dialect - I actually had to think to try to figure out what they were saying until I got the hang of it. This book reminded me of The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings although I think that book was set in a later time period. Although it is historical I think it could be same the story of a lot of groups of people living in rural areas of the US at that time - they'd just have a different dialect and different local flora and fauna and crops. I did like this book's shadowy, almost cartoon-like at times illustrations. Pleasant reading - thanks for sharing it.

On it's way to yokaye ...

Journal Entry 8 by yokaye on Monday, October 31, 2005
Rec'd today with The Giver, looking forward to getting to this one. =)

Journal Entry 9 by yokaye on Tuesday, November 15, 2005
I enjoyed this one, but thought the ending was too easy. It seems (to me) like it's a condensed version - little pockets of stories instead of one long cohesive tale. The conversion of Slater was too sudden, as if the gradual working up to the climax was misplaced in this reader's digest version.

I did like the stories, sometimes amusing, sometimes touching. The dialect didn't bother me too much. I've been living in middle Tennessee for 12 years, and I still know people that get 'book larnin' and say 'iffen', 'that thar hog' and 'jest et sum more'. It's one of those dialects that make a lot more sense spoken aloud than it does written on a page.

It's a very worthwhile read, a good lesson in history and an honest look at a different kind of life.

On it's way to Rosaline... :) enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Rosalinde from Buffalo, Minnesota USA on Monday, November 21, 2005
Got this in the mail today along with the Giver!

Journal Entry 11 by Rosalinde from Buffalo, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2006
I wasn't so sure about this one when it came - it's such a different and dated topic. But I did enjoy it when I got into it. I felt sorry for the children of the neighbor family. The language must have been interesting to learn and write for this story.

Journal Entry 12 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Sunday, January 22, 2006
Received this Friday, started it already.

Journal Entry 13 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Monday, January 30, 2006
Cute book. This was the kind of book that I would've read when I was younger and then went outside and reinacted. I loved books that were about kids living a 'simple life' - not meaning without hardship, but without modern appliances, etc. I loved the vocabulary and I could hear the accents clearly while reading. Very interesting bit of history too. I suppose that somewhere deep in Florida there are still some 'crackers' around. Thanks for sharing! Sending this along with The Giver back to clar this week.

Journal Entry 14 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Eesh! Sorry for the delay, this will be going out today to clar.

Journal Entry 15 by clar from Las Piñas City, not specified not specified on Sunday, March 12, 2006
received this book last Monday March 6 =) have started reading it already.

Journal Entry 16 by spacedog from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, May 31, 2006
back home. thanks for participating.

Journal Entry 17 by wingTexasWrenwing from Hillsboro, Texas USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2006
This arrived safely today. I actually have a story about this book.

Back in the early 1950's, when I was in 1st grade, we had Library class each day. My seat faced the chapter book bookshelves, (although I think we called them 3rd grade books back then) and this book caught my imagination. I wasn't allowed to read books in that section that year. The next year, I started taking piano lessons during our Library class period. Knowing my love of reading, my teacher and the librarian arranged for me to have library class with the 3rd graders. The first book I checked out was Strawberry Girl. Truthfully, I don't remember if I liked it or not, but I still remember the thrill of my first "real book".

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. ;-)