Girl In Hyacinth Blue

by Susan Vreeland | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by hchurch of Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on 9/8/2002
Journal Entry 1 by hchurch from Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on Sunday, September 08, 2002
Anyone interested in art history and painting should enjoy this little novel. It traces the ownership and journey of a mythical painting by the great Dutch master, Vermeer. The twists and turns and different lives the painting passes through are quite interesting ? perhaps similar to the travels of some of the books on Bookcrossing. Not as well done and "The Girl with the Pearl Earring," but still worth a read I think.

Journal Entry 2 by hchurch at Tate Street Coffee near UNCG in Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Sunday, September 08, 2002
Release planned for Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at Tate Street Coffee near UNCG in Greensboro, North Carolina USA.

At one of the tables in the back.

Journal Entry 3 by bstanford from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Friday, January 03, 2003
The owners of the coffee house where the book was left were in the process of collecting books for a booksale. In October I pulled the book out of the sale box with the intention of reading and passing it on. I finally picked it up again over Christmas and had planned to leave it in Chicago, but I had not finished it at the end of my stay so brought it back to NC. Now I plan to pass it on to a friend.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I did Girl With a Pearl Earring. Vermeer was an amazing painter, and there is always room for another book about him. This story traces the history of a Vermeer painting through its various owners, and I especially liked the author's reverse chronology. I plan to buy a copy, for it is a book I would enjoy reading again.