Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon Mysteries)

by Nevada Barr | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingAnneliswing of Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 2/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 05, 2005
From Publishers Weekly:
The texture, scents and sounds of the West Texas wilderness permeate this forceful debut, in which the murder of a National Park Service ranger illuminates the conflicts between those who want to place our country's open spaces and wildlife under government protection and those who want to profit from them. Anna Pigeon has fled New York City after the accidental death of her husband, and she now works as a law enforcement ranger at Guadaloupe Mountains National Park. There she finds the remains of fellow ranger Sheila Drury, who apparently was clawed to death by a mountain lion. Although an autopsy confirms this judgment, Anna becomes convinced that the claw marks have been faked. Her superiors discourage her from probing further, but another supposedly accidental death goads her into investigating Sheila's activities before her death - her campaign to open up the park to the public and her relationships with a young divorcee and with a powerful rancher opposed to Park Service policies. Anna is sure that clues reside in the thousands of snapshots the dead woman took - photos that show signs of having been rifled through. A park ranger herself, Barr develops a complex, credible and capable heroine who believes in truth and justice while remaining conscious of the ambiguities of human existence.

Product Description:
The memory of violence and loss drove Anna Pigeon from the city to seek peace in the Southwestern wilderness. Now a ranger in America's national parks, Anna is at one with nature and its serene, unspoiled majesty. But the brutal death of a fellow ranger in the remote WestTexas backcountry - presumably by mountain lionattack - looks suspiciously like murder to Anna. And her unauthorized investigation into the tragedy is placing her squarely in harm's way. For a trail with few leads winds through dangerous territory - where Anna must confront the dark side of the desert ... and the human heart.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 12, 2005
I started reading this. Seems to be an interesting book. And again I found a new author through bookcrossing!
I offered this on Bookrelay already and Kislany accepted.

Edit March 8th
It is the International Women's Day. My DH bought three flowers in (in pot) as he has three women in the house. This happened never before!

Well, this book is about a very brave woman. The place where she works is unknown to me and probably I'll never see it. It was very interesting to read about these surroundings where the big cats live if people only let them. Interesting book!

Edit March 11th. The book was posted today. Have a nice read, Kislany!

Journal Entry 3 by Kislany on Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Thanks Annelis, received it yesterday (just forgot to journal, oups...)

Reserved for SpikesMom (relay)

Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 5 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, May 27, 2005
Arrived today and, sigh, off to Mt. TBR.

Journal Entry 6 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 05, 2007
This is the start of the well-received series and I must say, if I hadn't first read Blind Descent and seen what a great tale Barr can tell, I'd probably give up on further books by this author.

There's nothing WRONG with them, by any means. The settings are exotic and written with the sort of knowledge that only an insider can provide.

It's just that this wasn't as compelling a book as Blind Descent. I have a feeling that the more Barr I read, the more I'll watch her grow as a writer -- and be glad I stuck with her.