Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia

by Chris Stewart | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Koalabare of Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on 2/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 02, 2005
Chris Stewart, drummer for the band Genesis, left the world of rock 'n' roll just before the band became famous, to shear sheep and travel.

This is his account of his eventual move, with his wife and baby daughter, to a remote Spanish mountain farm with no running water or electricity, or, indeed, access road...

Funny, fascinating and makes you want to chuck it all in and grow olives and raise goats somewhere hot and laid back.

Journal Entry 2 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, February 05, 2005
This is off on a bookring!

OK - bookring order:

Soongsis2 (Singapore - Int)
icekween01 (US - Int)
barker-tx (US - US)
MaryZee (US - Int)
spaceystacey (US)
rhythmbiscuit (US) (skipped)
Mamikaem (US - Int)<-- Arrived with
bookreadera (US) - Int)

And back to me in the UK...

Please try not to keep the book for too long, and also please journal when you recieve the book and to let us know what you thought of it!

Hope everyone enjoys this!

Journal Entry 3 by Koalabare at on Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (2/9/2005 UTC) at

Off on its journey!

Journal Entry 4 by Soongsis2 on Friday, February 18, 2005
Came in the mail today! Thanks so much... Will journal my thoughts when done reading.

Updates: 12 March 2005
Had a slow start to the book, especially the first few chapters where the author narrated the conversations between his real estate agent, and with his wife. I thought then that the writing seems high school-ish.

But am pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. I enjoyed this book quite a lot. And the author's self-depreciating charm worked its magic as well. Thanks to koalabare for introducing such lovely book!

Received icekween01's address already and should be mailing this out by next Monday. Cheers!

Updates: 15 March 2005
Dropped it off in the mail today. It's via air mail so icekween01 should be able to get this within a week. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 5 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Tuesday, April 05, 2005
received today. will read asap and journal my thoughts.

thanks for sharing your book!

Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 6 by icekween01 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, April 24, 2005
This was a really neat book. Warm, enchanting, light and entertaining. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for sharing!

sending on to the next participant asap.

Happy Bookcrossing!!!

Released 14 yrs ago (4/25/2005 UTC) at -- By post or by hand-ie ring, trade, RABCK, meet in St. Louis, Missouri USA

sent on to the next bookcrosser on the list barker-tx.

Happy Bookcrossing!!

Journal Entry 8 by barker-tx from Katy, Texas USA on Saturday, May 14, 2005
Charming little book - quick read - I envy his being able to escape the hustle & bustle and live his dream

Journal Entry 9 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, May 21, 2005
This arrived safely in the mail today. I have several other bookrings here right now, but will start on this one as soon as I can, and will update here when I do.

6/10/05 - Just starting this today. I'm working this in with another book, so it'll probably be a week or so till I finish it, but I'll go ahead and pm Mamikaem for her address.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 16, 2005
Short, enjoyable memoir. I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. The book did start out slowly, but I quickly came to enjoy the unique characters and situations of living in Andalucia. Although it sounds like a beautiful unspoiled area, why anyone would want to move to such a remote area with so few comforts amazes me. But then I suppose it takes all kinds...
But Chris Stewart did write an amusing memoir, regardless.

Thanks for sharing this, KoalaBare. Sending this on to Mamikaem tomorrow, June 17th.

Journal Entry 11 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Received this in yesterday's mail. I have a few book rings in front of it, but will get to it as quickly as I can. Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Thursday, July 28, 2005
Well, I've had this book well over a month and still have not had a chance to start it yet. Mailed this to spacystacey on 08/01/05. Koalabare is kind enough to put me at the bottom of the list as I do want to read this! Thanks so much and looking forward to getting this book again! :o)

Journal Entry 13 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Thursday, August 04, 2005
Received in the post today. Will be reading just after Labor Day and sending on its way. Thank you for sharing. :-)

Great read. Very entertaining, I felt as though I was meeting the neighbors in this village. What courage it took to move house to this remote area.

10/23/05 Update: rhythmbiscuit already has her own copy of the book so I have contacted mamikaem to see if she is interested in receiving the book at this time.

Journal Entry 14 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Saturday, December 24, 2005
Received this in the mail today! This little book is well-traveled and on it's third trip to St. Louis! I have a few book rings in front of this, but will get to it as soon as possible.

UPDATE: 01/03/2005 - starting this today.

Journal Entry 15 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
This was an enjoyable read. I felt like I was in Andalucia by the decriptions (although it's not a life I would choose to lead!) Thanks for sharing this, Koalabare! Mailed to bookreadera on 01/12/05.

Journal Entry 16 by bookreadera from Pottstown, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, January 24, 2006
arrived yesterday. It is probably my imagination...but the book even smells like lemons, hmmm...

Journal Entry 17 by bookreadera from Pottstown, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, February 27, 2006
the descriptions of Adalucía were fabulous. I will look around for a used copy to add to my perm. coll. Proof again that bookcrossing promotes book sales : D

Thanks for sharing and I will post this out this week.

Journal Entry 18 by bookreadera from Pottstown, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 03, 2006
sent home today-thanks again for sharing : )

Journal Entry 19 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, April 20, 2006
This has come home!!

Thank-you to all who took part and added their thoughts to this journal - it's now returned to my bookshelf waiting to be re-read.