Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings (Today Show Book Club #25)

by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 006056668x Global Overview for this book
Registered by allysther of Makakilo, Hawaii USA on 2/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by allysther from Makakilo, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, February 2, 2005
Amazon.com
In his entertaining adventure-in-whale-researching, Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings, Nathan Quinn, a prominent marine biologist, has been conducting studies in Hawaii for years trying to unravel the secret of why humpback whales sing. During a typical day of data gathering, Nate believes his mind is failing: the subject whale has "Bite Me" scrawled across its tail. Events become even stranger as the self-proclaimed "action nerds," Nate, photographer Clay, their research assistant Amy, and Kona, a white Rasta (a Jewish kid from New Jersey), encounter sabotage to their data and equipment. They also observe increasingly bizarre whale behavior, including a phone call from the whale to their wealthy sponsor to ask that Nate bring it a hot pastrami and Swiss on rye, and discover both a thriving underwater city and the secret to what happened to Amelia Earhart.
Thoughtful, irreverent, and often hilarious, Moore has crafted a tale that contains a bit of the saga of declining whale populations due to hunting and habitat destruction, as well as his over-the-top, decadent wit as applied to scientific methodology and professional jealousies. Moore notes a pasty, rival scientist "looked like Death out for his after-dinner stroll before a busy night of e-mailing heart attacks and tumors to a few million lucky winners," and that killer whales (which are all named Kevin), are "just four tons of doofus dressed up like a police car." Smart, sincere, and a whale of a story, Fluke is terrific. --Michael Ferch

Journal Entry 2 by SiniMeri from Alameda, California USA on Friday, February 11, 2005
from allysther...

Journal Entry 3 by SiniMeri from Alameda, California USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005
Loved, loved, loved it!!! My favorite character, without a doubt, was Kona. Perhaps he'll appear later, in another Moore story. One can only hope. For some reason, this one reminded me of Lamb...funny, ja?

Journal Entry 4 by Zanla from Vilseck, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, March 22, 2005
My lovely lady has lead me to yet another Christopher Moore tale. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Zanla from Vilseck, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, March 30, 2005
This was a really good book. Not at the Lamb level, but still really good.