The Physics of Star Trek

Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 1/31/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, January 31, 2005
…yes it is. To coin a phrase from a UK commercial, ‘It does exactly what it says on the tin’. A lot of this went over my head, and would probably also confound anyone who’s not a quantum physicist, a cosmologist or a hardcore Star Trek fan(!); but it was still fun in small chunks. Unfortunately a lot less of the science stuff; like warp speed (multiples of the speed of light), impulse drives (less than light speed, but still impossibly fast), the holodeck, the transporter, to name but a few, is as feasible as one imagines, despite the trappings of real science that the writers have aimed for over the years. But that’s not the point, as Krauss says, the writers were more interested in the plot possibilities of new civilisations, ‘first’ contact, and a new other-worldly background for the same age-old earthbound storytelling themes. Krauss also rues that science is somehow divorced from popular culture, although it should be just as important & influential as, say, literature, painting and music, in its ability to unite us in celebrating the human intellect, at the cornerstone of civilisations past achievements, and the inspiration for our future existence & prosperity.

I will leave the last word to Captain Kirk, to Dr McCoy, "Bones, I want the impossible checked out too"

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at on Thursday, March 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (3/2/2005 UTC) at

Passed on to a non-BC friend at my book group last night