My Sister's Keeper

by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 034083546x Global Overview for this book
Registered by skribble of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 1/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 29, 2005
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, tranfusions and injections to help her sister, Kate, fight leukaemia. Anna was born for this purpose, her parents tell her, which is why they love her even more.

Journal Entry 2 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 07, 2005
Oooh - this is a juicy read. A powerful account of a family in crisis. As you get to know the characters you feel more and more conflicted about the moral issues and how you feel about motivations of the different characters.

The ending is very impactful but I feel a little cheated by it - I want to say more, but mustn't spoil it. I've heard that this is being billed as the new 'The Lovely Bones' (it's also one of the Richard & Judy bookclub reads) and I can see why. Personally, I enjoyed this a lot more.

I'd like it to get a few more readers so will set up a ring. So far we have:

tanis
akg
bookfrogster
daemonwolf
torialouise

Journal Entry 3 by wingGinPoodlewing from Fleet , Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 17, 2005
This arrived in the post today, I can't wait to get started on it, it looks like a fantastic read and the book I am currently reading is really disappointing. Thanks for lending it to me Skribble. That's a very cool postcard you stuck in there too.

Journal Entry 4 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 03, 2005
Got this in the post today, thanks tanis. I've got three other rings waiting, but because I'm the last on all of them and I'm between books at the moment this has just jumped to the top of my reading list. I recently finished The Pact by the same author which I really enjoyed so looking forward to this one as well.

Journal Entry 5 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 04, 2005
I forgot to say in my entry yesterday thanks Tanis for the ribbon and postcard. It was so pretty that I didn't undo it last night and instead brought it into work to show of to my colleagues who are thinking about joining. Hopefully it will convince them what lovely people you are and convince them to join.

Journal Entry 6 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 06, 2005
Oops, I was meant to be reading this slowly but I was so engrossed I read in two days. So much for concentrating on my dissertation! Thanks for including me on the ring.

I have only recently discovered Jodi Picoult, in fact the last book I read was The Pact written by her. I was so impressed by that book that I didn’t believe this book could be as good; it was good to be proved wrong. From just these two books I think Jodi Picoult has jumped to the top of my favourite authors list. Like The Pact, the writing style is one that I haven’t enjoyed in the past where each chapter is from the point of view of a different person or in a different time but which Jodi Picoult is proving is a useful tool to provide the full information for a story.

This story is also a gritty issue where the parents have a third child, genetically selected to be a donor for her sister with cancer. I’ve heard in the news about families who want to do this, but haven’t really thought what happens beyond the birth of the child. Whereas this books takes you through that journey where Anna is repeatedly in hospitable throughout her thirteen years to provide donations for her sister. Her sister now needs a kidney and Anna has had enough.

Having finished the book I still don’t know which side of the argument I stand on and when I think of the reactions of the characters they are so well written I honestly can’t say I would behave any differently if I was in their position.

Journal Entry 7 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 07, 2005
Posted to Bookfrogster 7th March 2005 - hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 8 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 09, 2005
This arrived safely today. Thanks akg and skribble.

Journal Entry 9 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 18, 2005
Another great book from Jodi Picoult. I think she deals with these ethical dilemmas very well. I also thought the ending was good. If she'd gone for the obvious ending it would have been too cheesy for words, but I didn't see this twist coming.

Released 15 yrs ago (3/18/2005 UTC) at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

On its way to Daemonwolf as the next person on the ray.

Journal Entry 11 by rem_DYI-991976 on Monday, March 21, 2005
Looking forward to reading this one over Easter. :)

Journal Entry 12 by rem_DYI-991976 on Thursday, March 31, 2005
This has been reviewed over on my book blog, all comments welcomed!

Released 15 yrs ago (5/14/2005 UTC) at book ring in a RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to the next reader, apologies for the delay folks.

Journal Entry 14 by torialouise from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 06, 2005
Arrived safely - will start right away!

Journal Entry 15 by torialouise from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
What fantastic read - i couldn't put this down - i really enjoyed it. This book had my laughing and reaching for the tissues, it was a real emotional read. I loved the character of Anna, and her lawyer Campbell - with his service dog Judge.

The book is written in chapters which give the perspective of each of the characters which gives so great angles to the situations that arise.

Thanks for sharing skribble - i think it is back to you now?

Released 15 yrs ago (8/19/2005 UTC) at Somewhere in the Village! in Tockwith, to a friend -- Controlled Releases

Passing on to Tracy to continue the journey - happy reading and happy travels