Mirror Mirror BOOKRAY

by Gregory Maguire | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Abbynormal92243 of El Centro, California USA on 1/14/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Abbynormal92243 from El Centro, California USA on Friday, January 14, 2005
goin' on a bookray around the world cha cha cha

Journal Entry 2 by Abbynormal92243 from El Centro, California USA on Thursday, January 20, 2005
sent to jennyscott via media mail

Journal Entry 3 by jennyscott from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Saturday, January 29, 2005
Got this in the mail yesterday. This will go to the top of the heap and I will start it in a few days. I will get Chocolatefishy right on it as well. Thanks for the chance to read this one.

2-2-2005--- This is my current read and am liking it better than Wicked so far.

2-09-2005-- Okay I have given it my best shot and I have to say I am not a Gregory Maguire fan no matter how popular his writing is. I thought this book was better than Wicked, which I thought was among the worst books ever, but like in Wicked I felt like large portions of the story were left to be assumed. The story was not given enough depth to really draw the reader in leaving the characters undeveloped, and flat.
The dwarves were great characters and more finely drawn than the others. The use of the Borgia family and times was interesting but contributed to my problems with characterization, I felt that an assumption of prior knowledge was relied on too heavily.
Won't go on, just didn't really like it.

I will add that I don't find it fit reading for Chocolatefishy but she usually has fair judgement about those things so will let her decide for herself.

Journal Entry 4 by chocolatefishy from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Saturday, February 26, 2005
Wow. I seem to have had this book for a while, and I have yet to finish it. I would like to send it on to the next person, just to keep it moving.

Journal Entry 5 by Czersk from Roscoe, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, April 05, 2005
I'm not quite sure when this book arrived in the mail; I have been on vacation and it was waiting for me when I got home. I just started reading it, and hope to finish it soon. (Hope is the key word there)

Journal Entry 6 by Czersk from Roscoe, Minnesota USA on Saturday, April 23, 2005
My apologies for delaying writing my journal entry. My computer has been comatose for the past week and my internet access is limited.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I never tired of it, which is saying a lot for me lately; my time is so scarce that usually, no matter the book, I'm counting how many pages there is to go. Not so for this one. I enjoyed reading about Bianca, Lucrezia, Don Vicente, and the rest of the crew at Montefiore. I especially found the dwarves interesting. I have never read anything described quite like them. I had to shed all past images of dwarves that I kept stored in my head and make way for an entirely different picture. I appreciate it when an author is able to do that, to take a well known and told fairy tale and give it a twist of his/her own.

On to the next as soon as address is received.

Journal Entry 7 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, May 02, 2005
The book arrived today. Thank you! I'm almost finished with the book I'm reading now and will read this one next.

UPDATE May 13: I've been really busy lately (going to a conference and then moving back to Texas for the summer), so I haven't been able to read as much as usual. As a result, I'm only a little over halfway through this book. I should be more settled now and should get the book finished soon. Sorry about the delay.

Journal Entry 8 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, May 15, 2005
Well, I have 100 pages left to read in the book and I'm going to leave them unread. I just can't seem to want to pick up this book and read more of it. Perhaps it was the timing with the upheaval at the end of the semester and moving back to Texas, but even the fact that this is a bookray book is not giving me the push to read it. Since I already have the next person's address, I'll just be sending this one on uncompleted tomorrow. Thanks for giving me a chance to try it out.

Journal Entry 9 by karendawn at on Monday, May 16, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (5/16/2005 UTC) at

off to CandyDarling in Finland via surface mail

Journal Entry 10 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Thank you Abbynormal92243 for organizing the bookring! This is the first book by Gregory Maguire I'm going to read.

Journal Entry 11 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 11, 2005
I started reading this, but I wasn't in the right mood for this type of book. I'm sending Mirror Mirror to blaisezabini12 tomorrow because I don't want to hold up the ring.

Journal Entry 12 by blaisezabini12 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 26, 2005
Picked up today from the post office. Thank you Abbynormal92243 for organising the ring and thank you CandyDarling for mailing the book to Romania:)

27 September 05: this was my first Maguire novel and I enjoyed reading it. As a child I used to read all the fairy-tales I managed to get my hands on and I think that Mirror Mirror succeeds in recreating such a world (even though at the end of the book it is clearly underlined that the author didn't want to be "known as the writer who retells children's stories for adults"). For me, one of the most interesting aspects was the effect mercury had, the way in which it increased Lucrezia's paranoia.
The dwarfs were presented in a trully original way (at least for me) - especially when you think about the way in which they were conected.

I'll pm the next reader on the list for the address.

7 october 05: I finally managed to mail this. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 13 by YowlYY on Monday, October 17, 2005
Ooohhh...I am so excited! After reading Wicked I have now in my hands another work of Maguire, and I cannot wait to start reading it, but... the bookring plague has taken over my home and this is now Book No.6 in order of arrival to be read. I have to be very fast with the other 5 to get to read this one...
Thanks so much to blaisezabini12 for shipping it all the way from Romania! I will make another JE once I've read it.

Smileys courtesy of © Camilla Eriksson

Journal Entry 14 by YowlYY on Wednesday, January 25, 2006
The story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs couldn't have been more interesting!
Without giving away the plot to the next readers, I shall say that I loved the setting - Italy in the Renaissance - and the interpretation of the characters of the traditional fairy tale. The idea of the mirror - poisonous for the body, but especially for the soul - and the dwarfs, part of nature like the stones, and their evolution within the story is quite phantastic. And what to say of the 8th dwarf, the more vocally challenged (and probably more interested in the humans) than his brothers?
Another book that I am going to get for my personal collection at some stage...thanks to Abbynormal92243 for sharing!

Photo courtesy of litmuse.

Journal Entry 15 by YowlYY on Thursday, January 26, 2006
As promised to the raymaster, I am extending the ray for this novel. The next readers are:

United Kingdom
redjanet, Fire-Dragon, Minx2012(London),Shelbycat (Llanelly), Jaycee1972 (Alfreton), Scotsbookie (Peebles), Spiderchic (Rochdale), RuAnderson (Stevenage), Flajol (Preston)

Europe
Bilbi (savoie, France – ships Europe)<---the book is here!
Cheeky42 (Milano Marittima, Italy)
Introoder (Roma, Italy)
Shandy (somewhere in Italy)
mickey81 (Lurago d’erba, Milano, Italy)
sarina79 (Ferrara, Italy)
Lizzyblack (Milano, Italy)
lupurk (Milano, Italy)
Leggiona (Milano Saronno, Italy)
xeyra (Palmela, Portugal)

Canada
Lauraloo29 (Alberta)
nwpassage (British Columbia)
jinxy22 (Ontario - ships Canada)
Stickerooni (Ontario - ships USA and CA)
Breeze144 (Ontario - ships CA and USA, intern. if necessary)

USA
rubyjules (Vermont - ships USA only)
explorer1118m (New Jersey - ships USA and CA)
Herbwench (Massachusetts – ships USA and CA)
Aisling78 (Massachusetts – ships USA only)
CheriePie (Massachusetts - can ship intl.)
Butternut (Massachusetts – ships USA)
calicocollie (New York – can ship intl.)
Hobbit (New York – can ship intl.)
Batty14 (New York – ships USA only)
Stagecrafty (Washington – ships USA and CA only)
Gomboggit (Oregon – ships anywhere)
Suebo (Pennsylvania – ships USA)
Wiccania (Colorado - ships US only)
cowgirl-up (Ohio – ships USA only)
Katt66 (Missouri - ships USA)
TheLitGroup (Arkansas – ships USA only)
Thewhich (Tennessee – ships USA only)
Ramson (Louisiana – ships USA)
mskdm20 (Texas - shipss USA only)
Asuzachan (California – ships USA and CA only)
Andersor (California – prefers US but can ship anywhere)
gr8eyessmile (North Charleston, South Carolina)
jherusalem (Virginia - ships intern.)

Australia
Lisagt (New South Wales)
bandm (Queensland - ships Australia only)

Journal Entry 16 by redjanet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 06, 2006
I received this book in the post the other day. I am really looking forward to reading it so thank you again very much for including me in this ray!

Journal Entry 17 by redjanet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 01, 2006
I liked this book but didn't love it. Although he hates to be called "the author who re-writes fairy-tales" G. Maguire is definitely mainly just that and some work better than others. I like how he gave the story of Snow White a historical setting as he did with Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister (which I found to be far better), but I did not find any emotional connection with any of the characters. This was a disappointment for me. There were things I liked, aside from the setting, such as how he portrayed the dwarves, but it wasn't enough for this to be as enjoyable as I was hoping it would be.

I have contacted the next person on the list and will be sending it out once I receive the address.

Released 13 yrs ago (3/6/2006 UTC) at mailed to the next participant in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The book was posted today to Fire-Dragon who is next on the list.

Journal Entry 19 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 08, 2006
Omigod, that is an ENORMOUS planned journey for this book! I will try to read quickly so I can send it on my way. Unfortunately two other bookring books have arrived this week and I am still finishing a library book so this is number four in order to be read. I'm really looking forward to it though so it might jump up that list!

Journal Entry 20 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 01, 2006
I had to clear a couple of other bookring books first but once I started reading this it only took a couple of days. It was an enjoyable read but not quite up to the standard of Wicked or Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and I feel I've probably done my dash with Gregory Maguire for a while. I really enjoyed the setting of Renaissance Italy and the twists with the dwarves and the back story of the apple made it quite different. I thought the ending was quite weak.

PM-ing Minx2012 now and hopefully will get this and another book in the post early next week.

Journal Entry 21 by minx2012 on Saturday, April 08, 2006
You go away for a week, not worrying about the amount of post that'll be stuck in your mailbox when you get back because you never get anything. Then when you come back, there's loads of stuff jammed in there, including the latest delivery from the Chocolate Tasting Club and this novel!
Since I've just finished another book, I'll get cracking on this straight away.

Journal Entry 22 by minx2012 on Sunday, April 23, 2006
I actually finished this over a week ago, so apologies for the delay in journalling!
There's some fairy-tale-based literature where setting the story in a real place spoils it somewhat - Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Christobel goes seriously downhill in the second part, when he brings in the lakes and hills of Cumbria, trying to suggest she lived near his patron of the time - but here, the use of Renaissance Italy works brilliantly. I also like the inclusion of the Borgias. They actually add to the fairy-tale aspect of the story for me: "Once upon a time, in a place far, far, away..."
Add in the contrasting fantasy element of the rock-based dwarves, and it's like you've stepped through another looking glass, into a world that looks much like this one, but isn't quite ours.

I have Shelbycat's address, and will be posting this to her this week.

Journal Entry 23 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, May 04, 2006
Just received in the post this morning and i'm going to start asap.

Journal Entry 24 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 31, 2006
I've finished this book, and have to say i did enjoy it, but was glad it wasn't any bigger or i probably would have given up.
I now need to find more books about the Borgia's because it has piqued my interest in them :)
This is now off to Jaycee1972 in the post today.

Journal Entry 25 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 01, 2006
Received with thanks. This will be my first experience of Maguire and I notice the responses to this book are very mixed. I am looking forward to it. I have a couple or three other rings to read too but will get to this as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 26 by Jaycee1972 from Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 08, 2006
I have to say this was not my cup of tea. Although I would describe it as well written, there is not enough of a story there. I liked what the author was trying to do and the descriptions of the dwarves were great! However, I shall not be seeking out this author but I am glad I had the chance to read this book so thanks for sharing.

I will be sending on to scots bookie this week all being well.

Edit - 15th July - In the post today - sorry for delay!

Journal Entry 27 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 19, 2006
This well travelled book has just landed safely in my lap, thank you Jaycee1972. I have a couple of other rings/rays ahead of it, this is #3 on Mount Toobee. Will get to it asap.

Journal Entry 28 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 10, 2006
Although I enjoyed this book, I felt it wasn't nearly as good as Wicked, which I really loved. The stand out characters of this book for me were the dwarves. I think Maguires characterization of them was inspired & it was reading more about them that really made me keep reading.

Have PM'd Spiderchic for her details.

Journal Entry 29 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, August 14, 2006
Popped in to the post to Spiderchic today.

Journal Entry 30 by spiderchic from Droylsden, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, August 18, 2006
Received earlier this week and have started reading it.

Journal Entry 31 by spiderchic from Droylsden, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, August 18, 2006
Have just finished reading this book and I really can't decide whether i enjoyed it or not. I have read Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister which tell the story from the point of view of the villain as such. In this one though it was a more of a re-telling of the original fairy story. It's certainly different anyhow.
Thank you for sharing - shall PM RuAnderson for their address.

Journal Entry 32 by spiderchic from Droylsden, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, August 21, 2006
Sent to RuAnderson today

Journal Entry 33 by RuAnderson from Stevenage, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 26, 2006
recieved from spider chic a while ago and just finished reading it now
Loved the language in the book a rich Choclate mouse
this is fun rather than literature - except in as much as fairtails are both.

Its a quirky interesting take on Snow white and one i enjoyed.

The themes for discussion at the end were a nice touch and happy to blog them if people are interested ? An easy improvement would be to have yet another section with the authors own reactions to the questions.

Will PM Flajol for address today

Journal Entry 34 by flajol from Carterton, Wairarapa New Zealand on Thursday, November 02, 2006
The book has arrived safely in Preston. Thanks for sharing, YowlYY, and thank you to RuAnderson for the tree seeds. :o)

I love reworkings of old tales, and I'm really looking forward to reading this.

14/02/07 Edited to add:

I'm sorry I missed journalling this before posting it. My brother posted this for me as I'm out of the counry, and only finished the book just before leaving.

I enjoyed Mirror, Mirror, especially the way Maguire portrays the dwarves. I also think the 16th Century setting worked well. However, I found the ending disappointing, as it just seemed to fall flat. I still like his treatments of classic tales, and look forward to reading more of his books.

Journal Entry 35 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
The chocolate was good, thank flajol. Will the book be as good ? ;-)

I loved "Wicked" so I'm looking to reading this new adventure.

Two books to read before starting with this one !

Thanks for sharing !

BC rocks !

Journal Entry 36 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, February 17, 2007
I like the world that Gregory Maguire (re)creates. Generally speaking, I don't like it when writers "rewrite" tales for example. But in Maguire's books I can do with it because there's such an interesting atmosphere that I can't find anything to blame him with ;-)

Let the book travel to Italy now...

Happy BC :*

Journal Entry 37 by YowlYY on Friday, June 13, 2008
Unfortunately, this book was lost somewhere between France and Italy...I blame the high mountains!! ;-)
Luckily, bilbi, who is a real book angel, decided that this ray could not be stopped and got a new copy of the book. The journey continues here...good luck!