Beauty

by Sheri S. Tepper | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Kyrissaean of Littleton, New Hampshire USA on 1/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, January 01, 2005
I think perhaps I am not the biggest fan of Sheri S. Tepper. I'd think I'd like to be--her stuff always sounds interesting to me--but then somehow I always end up thinking that her stories are a little off. I mean, I like all the sorts of stories this review lists as being contained within this book! Fantasies of manners, dystopian sci-fi, time-travel, eco-morality...those are all way up there on my lists of likely reads. *And* I like fairy tale reworkings! But this story just left me thinking, well that was kind of weird, and maybe a little slow. Mind you, "A Plague of Angels" was really weird, and not that slow. Maybe it's more that her characters never seem very sympathetic to me.... Oh well!

Here's Publishers' Weekly's blurb on the pb version (my copy is actually a book club hardback):
"The latest from the talented Tepper ( The Gate to Women's Country ) is many things: a fantasy of manners, a dystopian science fiction tale, a time-travel story and an eco-morality play. Still more impressive is the evolution of the narrator and title character, whom we follow for a century of life (ages 16 to 116) as she matures gradually and subtly from a pouty, slightly spoiled daughter of a duke to a wise old woman. Retelling various fairy tales, Tepper strips away each story's gloss. Sleeping Beauty's sleep continues endlessly, prince notwithstanding; Cinderella is as heartless and nasty to her ugly stepsisters as they are to her; and Snow White is a blond bimbo, while the dwarfs are a querulous collection of Basque brothers. Tepper manages to maintain interest, style and theme throughout these disparate elements, and she consistently sniffs out the ugly (e.g., the storybook land of Chinanga, which has all the facets of a fairyland but is an extremely boring place to live). Despite an often depressing worldview, this is a beautiful book from one of the genre's best writers."
____________________________________________________

Reserving for appaloosatb.

Journal Entry 2 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 12, 2005
This was mailed to appaloosatb today along with "The Dragonbone Chair." Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Saturday, January 22, 2005
This has arrived safe and sound in southern Minnesota amidst huge drifts of snow! Thank you

Journal Entry 4 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Thursday, May 26, 2005
Mailed to drommie1810, as I now have another copy of this book. I will post my thoughts in this journal entry after reading that additional copy.