Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

by Philip K. Dick | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by PepperVL of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on 12/31/2004
Journal Entry 1 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, December 31, 2004
I thought this book was all right. It was confusing at times, and I didn't think that some of the stuff, particularly with Mercer, was necessary. The book had a very dream like quality to it.

Read my full review.

This book will be sent out to ukbrat as a trade. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 2 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 05, 2005
Mailed to ukbrat on 1/5/05

Journal Entry 3 by ukbrat from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 23, 2005
I am very much looking forward to reading this book. Since realizing that this was the book that influence blade runner, I have wanted to read it. Will read and pass along! Thanks for passing it on!

Journal Entry 4 by ukbrat from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 22, 2005
This book was very interesting. In true Philip K. Dick style, the reader was forced to examine their own beliefs about something. In the case of this book, it was what makes us human. Dick proposes that it is empathy that makes us such unique creatures. In addition to empathy, Dick proposes that it is dreams and aspirations that set us apart. I happen to agree with Dick, that these are important components of the human soul, that will never be replicated into AI.

Dick also makes some interesting proposals about religion in this book. By contrasting the androids and the human characters, Dick shows that religion is perhaps an essential component of humanity. It requires empathy in order to be a participant.
Definately worth reading if you are into philosophy of the human spirit and have any ideas on what it is that makes us human!