The Virgin's Lover

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wordfiendca of Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada on 12/30/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wordfiendca from Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada on Thursday, December 30, 2004
Another treat to buy on hardcover based on brother's generosity. I hope this is as good as The Other Boleyn Girl.

Journal Entry 2 by wordfiendca from Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 05, 2005
This was an interesting take on Elizabeth's and Robert Dudley's odd relationship. It has been speculated that they had a romance, but no one actually knows. Though Dudley was thought to be ambitious, this book made him out to be the most avaricious. Based on what I've read of Elizabeth, I did not think that some of the weaknesses she displayed were consistent. However, I have only read other author's interpretations of the correspondence and the facts.

I did like the spin that the author put on Amy Dudley's veyr convenient murder. Given the political importance of her death, it is shocking that her murderer was never found. That also seems too convenient.

A nice, light story. Good vacation reading.