^ The Nanny Diaries: A Novel

by Emma McLaughlin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Mokona of Clinton Township, Michigan USA on 12/27/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Mokona from Clinton Township, Michigan USA on Monday, December 27, 2004
"Wanted:
One young woman to take care of four-year-old boy. Must be cheerful, enthusiastic and selfless—bordering on masochistic. Must relish sixteen-hour shifts with a deliberately nap-deprived preschooler. Must love getting thrown up on, literally and figuratively, by everyone in his family. Must enjoy the delicious anticipation of ridiculously erratic pay. Mostly, must love being treated like fungus found growing out of employers Hermès bag. Those who take it personally need not apply.

Who wouldn’t want this job? Struggling to graduate from NYU and afford her microscopic studio apartment, Nanny takes a position caring for the only son of the wealthy X family. She rapidly learns the insane amount of juggling involved to ensure that a Park Avenue wife who doesn’t work, cook, clean, or raise her own child has a smooth day.

When the Xs marriage begins to disintegrate, Nanny ends up involved way beyond the bounds of human decency or good taste. Her tenure with the X family becomes a nearly impossible mission to maintain the mental health of their four-year-old, her own integrity and, most importantly, her sense of humor. Over nine tense months, Mrs. X and Nanny perform the age-old dance of decorum and power as they test the limits of modern-day servitude."

Released 14 yrs ago (3/11/2005 UTC) at For a fellow Book Crosser in to fulfill a wish, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to airyaa because it was on her wishlist! I hope you enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 3 by airyaa on Wednesday, August 03, 2005
The second book from Mokona-the-great. I don't know how to thank you. :)
---
(may 14 07)
I was going to stop reading after 150 pages but gave it another try and finished it in 2-3 days. Good book after getting into it... but I had to give it time.

Journal Entry 4 by airyaa at Planegg, Bayern Germany on Monday, September 29, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/29/2008 UTC) at Planegg, Bayern Germany

RABCK for Qantaqa

Journal Entry 5 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Thanks so much for this generous RABCK! I'm really looking foward to reading this book!

Journal Entry 6 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Thursday, February 18, 2010
I finally managed to read the book - took me long enough! Even though I expected something quite different, I really enjoyed reading it. Being a mother myself I really couldn't relate to Greyer's mom - what a horrible, selfish and stupid person! But I found myself being quite angry at Nanny as well - she was just too willing to be exploited. The ending was pretty sad...

Sent to Berlinbookworm; this book is on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 7 by BerlinBookworm from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, February 21, 2010
Thank you so much for this RABCK! I can't believe this book has been to Tehran! Wow, I'll have to think about how to pass on this book.
I put this book on my wishlist after watching the movie. I thought that the movie was going to be funny but on the contrary - it was very depressing! As a mother I really suffered with all these poor children. I'm curious to read the book and get a closer look at the story (and what's behind it).

Journal Entry 8 by BerlinBookworm at Amman, Amman Jordan on Saturday, June 10, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (6/10/2017 UTC) at Amman, Amman Jordan

Passed on to a prospective bookcrosser. Enjoy! Hope you join the community!