We

by Yevgeny Zamyatin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Dunzy of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 12/20/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Dunzy from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, December 20, 2004
A must-read for dystopia-lovers. This bleakly powerful novel helped to inspire "1984".

Journal Entry 2 by Dunzy at on Friday, July 29, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (7/29/2005 UTC) at

On its way to a fellow-BXer who is alphabetically challenged!

Journal Entry 3 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 04, 2005
Received this RABCK in the mail today - it will be my "Z" author entry for the ABC Challenge. Thanks Dunzy!!! :)

Journal Entry 4 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 01, 2005
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Scary premise, human beings reduced to only numbers, their lives organized - to the minute - according to "tables."

It's easy to see how this book inspired the George Orwell's 1984. The glass walls of the homes in Zamiatin's United State are mirrored in Orwell's "Big Brother" in 1984. "We" was first published in 1924, and yet concerns over personal privacy versus security remain a very real concern.

The writing is a bit choppy and disjointed in places, but I put that down to its being translated from Russian. But overall, I thought it was a great read!

Thanks to Dunzy for passing it on.

If there's enough interest I think I'll start a ring for it.

Journal Entry 5 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 02, 2005
Bookring Guidelines:

*Please DO journal when you receive the book, so we know it's arrived safe and
sound.

*Please try to finish the book within a month. I'm fairly flexible about this, but this book will be going to a lot of people, so keep that in mind if something on Mt. TBR happens to look more interesting when this arrives - we can always move you down the list if you KNOW you won't get to it right away. ~ And if you don't like it, don't feel obligated to finish it before sending it on its way.

*Please PM the next person for confirmation of their address before sending it on, even if you've mailed to them in the past. This makes sure they haven't moved or gone on an extended vacation, and reduces the chances of the book getting lost in the mail. ~ I usually send this PM when I receive a book, so as soon as I'm done I can send it on.

*Please feel free to add a journal entry with your rating of the book, and any comments it inspired. It's always nice to hear what other readers think!

*Please DO journal when you mail it (don't do a release - just add a new journal entry), and set its status to traveling, so we know it's on its way again.

Most of all - Happy Reading!

10/05/05 - Final shipping order:

CatharinaL...Finland (shipping prefs not indicated)
Libahunt...Finland (int'l shipping ok)
pelikanol...Denmark (int'l shipping ok)
Mickymicky...Italy (no shipping prefs)
-JAFFA-...UK (Pref UK, int'l if nec)
Xanthe-pup...UK (int'l shipping ok)
catsalive...Australia (prefer shipping within Aus, int'l if nec)
hunnyb...Australia (int'l shipping ok)
littleacorn...MI, US (US only) - joined another bookring for it
efs300...NH, US (pref US, int'l if nec)
PokPok...US (pref US)
bossmare...WY, US (will ship int'l if nec)
funsour...ON, Canada (pref's not idicated)
Earthdance...MB, Canada (no shipping pref's)
OCcinderella...CA, USA (ship anywhere) <-- It's HERE! 4/10/08
and then back to me,
BrooklinBrat...ON, Canada

Journal Entry 6 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, October 26, 2005
The book arrived this morning - thanks a bunch for organizing & sending, Susan! I'll start reading asap.

Journal Entry 7 by CatharinaL from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 30, 2005
I enjoyed this book a great deal, although everything in it reminded me of Huxley & Orwell and suggested further comparison. The language was brilliant and the themes apparently arose from the same sources as the work of the two better-known dystopians... the book could very well have been an English original. The classic minor weakness in all of these three is the structure, present here particularly around the second quarter of the book where the narrator dwells on his 'soul' and feelings towards his newly-acquainted, 'dissipated' She-number. Maybe something more concise would've been more effective (but then again, it's only my personal opinion arising from not of the literary tastes and conventions of the 1920s but those of the 2000s). - I also enjoyed the frequent self-references to the narration and the process of writing itself, and the mention of a potential mix-up in the order of pages (maybe that was to blame for the disjointed and choppy feel?): they must've been considered avant-garde techniques in Zamiatin's day.

[1/11] The book has been sent to Libahunt. Hauskoja lukuhetkiä!

Journal Entry 8 by Libahunt from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, November 10, 2005
I love the scent of this book.

Journal Entry 9 by Libahunt from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 18, 2006
This was amazing to read. At the moment I can't think up too much to say about this because it all seems to be said already but it's indeed easy to see how this was an inspiration for 1984 and it was great to sutdy from this perspective. Althoguh the story in itself worked great and didn't give any peace of mind until it was finished even though it was clear how it would end.

Journal Entry 10 by pelikanol from Treherbert, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, August 28, 2006
I've been really looking foreward to reading this. Will get started right away.

Journal Entry 11 by pelikanol from Treherbert, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
I really enjoyed this book. As a matter of fact I'd say that "We" is the best dystopian novel I've read so far. The first half of the book I found to be a bit slow, but then things got deeper. The story has really rooted itself in my mind now. Thank you for sending this book out, BrooklinBrat!

Sent on to Mickymicky on 3 October. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by mickymicky from Alba Adriatica, Abruzzo Italy on Thursday, October 05, 2006
The book is here now, thanks

Journal Entry 13 by mickymicky from Alba Adriatica, Abruzzo Italy on Wednesday, December 27, 2006
Sorry to have taken so long for the reading... thanks for sharing. After I read 1984, I was curious to read this book. It was amazing to read. The book is ready for the next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by Xanthe-pup from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Received on Saturday - thanks. I have one to read before getting to this.

Journal Entry 15 by Xanthe-pup from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 23, 2007
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand - loved the story. The vision of an extreme 'Utopia' where all free will is removed, and people are convinced this will bring them happiness. The undercurrent of the idea that people will never accept total domination is a powerful one, which celebrates our differences. Some very disturbing images, such as the buildings made entirely of glass so each person in their identical rooms can see all the other people chewing each mouthful of food 50 times...

However, the unnecessary pauses (...) the half finished sentences (I think I... What I meant was...) grated after a while. Perhaps it was the translation, and I understand that suggestion can be a very effective tool, but there was too much of it. By the end it felt like no one could get thought a sentence (or paragraph of narration) withouth several open ended comments. If it weren't for this irritating little thing, I would have scored the book higher.

Will PM catsalive for an address to send this on.

Journal Entry 16 by Xanthe-pup from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, February 05, 2007
Sending to catsalive today.

Journal Entry 17 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Thankyou, Xanthe-pup.

Journal Entry 18 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, April 30, 2007
I've made two stabs at this book & life is too short to try again. I just can't get into it, and I really wanted to, & I keep falling asleep half way through a sentence. It's not meant to be, even after 60 pages.

Thanks BrooklinBrat, it'll be off to hunnyb ASAP.

Journal Entry 19 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 03, 2007
Sent to hunnyb this morning.

Journal Entry 20 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 07, 2007
Thanks for passing this on. Looks great :) Will get started right away.

Journal Entry 21 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 14, 2007
Very frightening. A great read for anyone who enjoyed Brave New World/ 1984/ Handmaid's Tale. The writing style was a bit confusing at times but I suppose that depicted the narrator's inner turmoil well. Thanks for sharing this, I'll send it onto efs3000 now.

Journal Entry 22 by efs300 from Hardeeville, South Carolina USA on Thursday, May 24, 2007
This book arrived yesterday in New Hampshire. I have one bookring book ahead of it so I should get to start reading it soon.

Journal Entry 23 by efs300 from Hardeeville, South Carolina USA on Friday, June 15, 2007
I am not sure what to make of this book, you can see how it inspired 1984. I must agree with Xanthe-pup that the unfinished sentences were distracting. But it was a very powerful book although somewhat difficult to read. Before I read the last 20 pages of this book I finished the audio book "Faith of the Fallen", book 6 in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, where at the end of the book the people break the bonds of "The Order", a similar group that rules the lives of people with complete domination. An interesting contrast between the two endings. Thanks to BrooklinBrat for sharing this very intriguing book. I will get this in the mail to PokPok as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 24 by efs300 from Hardeeville, South Carolina USA on Monday, June 18, 2007
Mailed this book to PokPok today via USPS Media Mail.

Journal Entry 25 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Thursday, June 28, 2007
This book was waiting for me when I came back from holiday. I *just* started another book last night, so I'll start this one in a week or so.

Journal Entry 26 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Sunday, July 08, 2007
4 star: An "okay" book, possibly draggy or too light, not my thing

-----------------

I was the opposite of some readers... I found the first half of the book much easier to get through than the second. At some point, either I missed a key plot point, or the half finished sentences became more than I can follow. I got lost on the plot. I couldn't follow what was going on (even understanding while I wouldn't get *all* of it). I skim read the last 30 pages or so.

Like others, I definitely see how it inspired Orwell. I've been wanting to reread 1984 for awhile; this will likely move it up the priority list. The absolutely scheduled day and the glass houses were eerie. The people choosing who to be intimate with-- however it never seemed truly intimate. There were definitely good points about this book, I just found it to be poorly executed.

I am grateful for the opportunity to have read it. Thank you Dunzy and BrooklinBrat, for letting this book go, especially because I have no heard of it in any other context.

I have bossmare's address, so I should get it in the mail this week.

Released 12 yrs ago (7/21/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Getting this in the mail. I apologise for the delay.

Journal Entry 28 by bossmare from Casper, Wyoming USA on Monday, December 03, 2007
I simply could not get into this book so I am sending it on to the next person.

Journal Entry 29 by bossmare from Casper, Wyoming USA on Sunday, December 16, 2007
Popped this in the mail yesterday. It's on it's way to funsour.

Journal Entry 30 by funsour from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 31, 2007
it came in the mail today
i will start it in the new year
thanks for including me in the bookring

Journal Entry 31 by funsour from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 21, 2008
an excellent read
read it in silent reading classes(my excuse is that I am inspiring the student to read by role modelling)
this book is so well written and descriptive it was like a (mostly black&white) movie playing in my head

i have written Earthdance for their address as they are next on the list for the bookring

Journal Entry 32 by funsour at n/a in n/a, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 28, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (1/28/2008 UTC) at n/a in n/a, By Post -- Controlled Releases

dropped in the mail today at recess

Journal Entry 33 by Earthdance from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, February 04, 2008
I have some library books to read before getting to this one - but I hope to read it and send it back home by the end of the month.

Thanks everyone who's sent it along and got it to me- and thanks BrooklinBrat for offering it to us all in the first place!

Released 12 yrs ago (3/20/2008 UTC) at To Fellow BookCrosser in in the mail, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Mailing this out right after lunch - there is certainitly some memorable imagery in this book - but I did find it confusing at times (probably, as others have suggested, due to translation) and I found the ending dissapointing!

Journal Entry 35 by ElleHeartsRocco from Newport Beach, California USA on Thursday, April 10, 2008
I got it :)

Journal Entry 36 by ElleHeartsRocco from Newport Beach, California USA on Saturday, July 19, 2008
sent off today.