My Loose Thread

by Dennis Cooper | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1841954128 Global Overview for this book
Registered by jenm of Waterbury, Connecticut USA on 12/20/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jenm from Waterbury, Connecticut USA on Monday, December 20, 2004
Dennis Cooper is not for the squeamish. Due to the "adult" nature of his books I'll only offer them for trade to BXers 21 and over. Sorry, but I'd like to minimize the chances of them floating around a high school...

From Amazon.com:
Cooper's latest, after a loosely intertwined series of novels ending with Period, stays firmly rooted in the same bleak, volatile landscape as his past works involving neglected, gay teenaged boys. Perpetually distraught teenager Larry, whose mantra is "I'm really confused," joins forces with a friend who has been approached at school by older classmate Gilman Crowe, leader of a Nazi-style teen group, and hired to kill a student for $500 and destroy his notebook, basically a diary containing the boys' personal secrets. The deed is done, but not exactly according to plan, and the violence continues. Larry and his 13-year-old brother habitually sneak into bed with each other, though Larry continues to be at war with his burgeoning homosexuality. An alcoholic mother and cancer-stricken father offer little supervision, and Larry's brutal rages escalate. When another of Larry's friends, Rand, tells him his incestuous relationship is "sick," Larry punches him; Rand dies soon afterward, apparently of natural causes, but Larry is crushed by guilt and haunted by the death. Cooper's bleak, potent tale wraps up in a Columbine-style climax, complete with smirking, self-righteous students watching the bloodbath with amusement. Cooper doesn't cover much new territory with this latest ultraviolent tale of boys gone wrong, but Larry's first-person narration is mesmerizing and believable. Those new to Cooper may be better off starting elsewhere in his oeuvre, especially since it can be hard to follow the sequence of events in this spare, dialogue-driven tale. Still, Cooper fans will likely eat this up.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Friday, December 31, 2004
Arrived safe and sound today. Thank you so much! Thank you also for the very cute and clever bookmark!! Happy New Year!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Powerful stuff. I had heard that Cooper was one of those writers who tends to shock readers... that was definitely the case with this book. Very well written, but not the type of book or story that makes you feel "good". That being said, I did really enjoy it and will have to find more of Cooper. I can relate, in some ways, to a lot of the confusion, frustration, and anger Larry feels, having gone through my own coming out so many years ago.

I will be sending this off to firegirl this week.

Journal Entry 4 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, December 27, 2007
Caught today in a direct hand-off from the wonderful Jare. Thanks so much for coming to visit while I was in your neck of the woods! Hope I didn't talk you ear off too much....

Journal Entry 5 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Hmmm. I'm not sure what I thought of this. I found it very chaotic and confusion and while I can understand that as insight into the main character's thought processes, I found it distracting. It also took me much longer to read this slim volume than it should have, though I've no idea why. Perhaps my own life is a little too chaotic at this time to appriciate this. I will say that, while it may not have grabbed me like it did Jare, it did make me more curious about Cooper's work. I'll have to keep an eye out for more by him.

I've been wild releasing a great deal lately, but the only places I think this would be really appriciated are too far away for me to get to with my busy schedule these days. I've offered it up as a RABCK, though, so it should be moving on soon. Thanks, Jare!

Journal Entry 6 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2008
And there's a taker already! I'll be posting this out as a RABCK tomorrow, off to cold Ohio. No worries, though, it's got a whole mess of $.01 stamps on it to keep it warm. (RABCKed as part of the Keep Them Moving challenge.)

Journal Entry 7 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, March 03, 2008
Thanks for the RABCK, Firegirl! I look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 8 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Sunday, March 09, 2008
This novel was definitely original. I don't think I've ever read anything like it, and am not sure I entirely understood it.

Was Larry gay? Was his brother? Was he molesting his brother, or was his brother seducing him? Was everyone molesting Jim? Were all of Larry's friends gay? Or none of them? Did any of them even think about whether Larry was gay? Or was Larry just insane? Did it matter whether any of them were gay, or had sex, or did anything?

The writing was difficult to follow, but I don't know that it could have been otherwise. Larry was clearly disturbed. And I think all of them were, though it's hard to say since our narrator was so demented and indecipherable. Many parts of the book were just painful to read about, but more than that, I just couldn't make sense of it all. Did he kill the people he thought he killed, or didn't he? What was the fascination with the Columbine killers? It seems like we were dealing with mental illness, substance abuse, sexual abuse, and psychosis, and we were trying to make sense of it.

In the end, I didn't make sense of any of it. Maybe I was't supposed to. Maybe that was the whole point of the book.

Journal Entry 9 by mrsjones at Towne Mall in Middletown, Ohio USA on Saturday, March 15, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (3/15/2008 UTC) at Towne Mall in Middletown, Ohio USA

I hesitate to leave this book just *anywhere*, so I am donating it to the American Association of University Women's Used Book Sale. I go every year. They have tables and tables of books for sale today, and I'll leave the book among them. Tonight, books are 1/2 price, and then tomorrow it's Fill A Bag for $5. I'll be going tomorrow, too.