Oranges are Not the Only Fruit

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by loobygraham of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 12/16/2004
Journal Entry 1 by loobygraham from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 16, 2004
I picked this book up at the Leeds meetup. I've wanted to read it for a while, so I look forward to it.

Journal Entry 2 by loobygraham from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 25, 2005
I really enjoyed this book. I expected it to be a much tougher book than it actually was. It's narrated my a girl from a Pennine mill town. Her mother is a fanatical methodist and intends that her daughter should be a missionary as soon as she is old enough. At first the girl has no problems with this and is devoted to the church almost as much as her mother. However, the girl falls in love with another girl and her life plan is derailed. The story continues by showing how the church and her mother and other members of the congregation respond to this development when the truth emerges. The aftermath is heartbreaking and sometimes brutal. I highly recommend this as a study of love, loss, sect mentality, rejection, family life and courage. The girl's determination and need to be true to herself is inspiring. There is an interesting into by the author, too, although the tone is a little smug, I think.

Journal Entry 3 by loobygraham from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 02, 2005
I've passed this book onto a friend. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.