Wideacre

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingMolyneuxwing of Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on 12/13/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 13, 2004
Historical novel set in the 18th Century.
Synopsis from Amazon
Wideacre Hall, set in the heart of the English countryside, is the ancestral home that Beatrice Lacey loves. But as a woman of the 18th century, she has no right of inheritance. Corrupted by a world that mistreats women, she sets out to corrupt others.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 15, 2005
I began to read it but it really did nothing for me and I didn't particularly like the author's style - it just isn't my kind of book I suppose!

So I'm going to release it in the hope that someone else will enjoy it more.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMolyneuxwing at on Saturday, January 15, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (1/17/2005 UTC) at

It will be found on the BookCrossing shelf above the fireplace on the right hand side as you enter the pub.

Journal Entry 4 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 25, 2005
What a great place for an OBCZ. It's a cold, dark and wet afternoon and I'm feeling bad because I should be going to the gym but don't want. I walk into the Cherry Tree to look at the books on the mantle piece and the real fire warmed my toes and legs up - lovely!

A friend lent me another book by Philippa Gregory (The other Boleyn girl) which I enjoyed so I'm interested to see if I like this one as well.

Unfortuntely the other book I was interested in had already gone. I'll have to be quicker next time :)

Journal Entry 5 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 28, 2005
I found this book difficult to get into at first, but after about 70 pages I was gripped. But then suddenly about half way through the book I realised I didn’t like the main character Beatrice Lacey and really didn’t care about what happened to her or the Wideacre estate that she was so concerned with so I stopped.

I sympathised with her situation, a woman who loves her home but which she can never own because it is entailed, but I can’t understand her choice of actions and the more extreme they were the more I disliked her. I was hopeful at the arrival of Dr MacAndrew who seemed to be a ‘normal’ with no extremes personality characteristics but that didn’t last long.

I am disappointed with this book because I really enjoyed ‘The other Boleyn girl’ and hoped that this would be a similar style. If I came across another Philippa Gregory book I think I would be willing to read them, but only if they were not part of this trilogy.

Journal Entry 6 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 28, 2005
I have passed this on to the work colleague who originally lent me 'the other boleyn girl' it will be interesting to see what she thinks about it.