Something Rotten

by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by estherase on 12/12/2004
Journal Entry 1 by estherase on Sunday, December 12, 2004
Better than the second, not as good as the first and third. The Thursday Next series seems to be the opposite of Star Trek movies... the odder the better in this case.

Journal Entry 2 by chancer1967 from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 01, 2005
nice cover

Journal Entry 3 by finde-fuchs from Holloway, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 12, 2005
got it as RABACK from chancer1967. Thank you to chancer1967 and esterhase!

It has travelled with me through nearly entire Germany and a part of Austria and Switzerland (Stuttgart Münster Hannover Dornbirn St Gallen etc) the previous weeks.
I read it once and I am about to read it the second time now.

I'd love to pass it on to anyone interested.

Journal Entry 4 by finde-fuchs from Holloway, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 30, 2005
I read the book for the 2nd time and enjoyed it a lot.
It's not really possible to write a review without spoiling the book for future readers.
So instead of a review I pass on a few of my favourite quotes of the book.

_________________________

"Joffy", said Joffy, "brother of Thursday."
"Hamlet", said Hamlet, "Prince of Denmark"
Page 24
_________________________

" ...'Espresso, Mocha, Latte, White Mocha, Hot Chocolate, Decaff, Recaff, Nocaff, Somecaff, Extracaff, GoliachinoTM...what's the matter?'
Hamlet had started to tremble, a look of pain and hopelessness on his face as he stared wild-eyed at the huge choice laid out in front of him.
'To espresso or to latte, that is the question,'...... 'Whether 'tis tastier on the palette to choose white mocha over plain'.....'or take a cup to go. Or a mug to stay, or extra cream, or have nothing, and by opposing the endless choice, and end one's heartache -'..."
Page 77
_________________________

The book is now on its way to "nice-cup-of-tea" in Switzerland. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, June 09, 2005
Received this book in the post today from Finde-Fuchs. Can't wait to read it! Will journal as soon as I have finished reading :-)

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, January 09, 2006
re-read 20/7/7 in Poland

Again a truly marvellous book from Fforde. Set back in the 'real world' it neatly ties up all the ends of story lines from previous books, but then you realise that there a few threads and hints that you missed along the way, which makes you want to go back and re-read the whole series!

12 Jan
It's no good, I had to go back and read it again to pick up on all the hints along the way! A couple of quotes I found particularly nice...

page 22
" 'So,' replied the Dane, thinking hard, 'what you're saying is that the more complex and apparently contradictory the character, the greater the possible interpretations?'
'Yes. In fact, I'd argue that every time a book is read by the same person it is different again - because the reader's experiences are changed, or they are in a different frame of mind.' "

page 26
" 'Goodness!' replied my mother. 'You must be simply dying for a cup of tea.'
'Please. The BookWorld might be the cat's pyjamas for characterisation and explosive narrative, but you can't get a decent cup of tea for all the bourbon in Hemingway.' "

Penguin Website
With her Lorem Ipsum-spouting son, Friday, in tow, Thursday returns to her Swindon home to resume her quest to reactualize her husband, Landen Parke-Laine. As a final favor to her Jurisfiction colleagues, Thursday also escorts Shakespeare's Hamlet on a public relations field trip to the real world so he can ponder why he has been misrepresented as a "ditherer."

Much has changed in Swindon since she left—the Goliath Corporation has branched out from corporate domination into religious domination, rogue book character Yorrick Kaine has mysteriously risen to power as right-wing chancellor of England, and thirteenth-century saints are resurrecting themselves all over the country. Swindon's very own patron saint, the foulmouthed St. Zvlkx, returns to Swindon in front of a shopping center just as he predicted in his Book of Revealments. St. Zvlkx's uncannily precise Revealments also predict that the downfall of the mighty Goliath corporation is inextricably linked to a seemingly impossible Swindon Mallets win at the upcoming SuperHoop championship.

Upon her return, Thursday finds herself at the wrong end of a sniper's rifle. Her would-be assassin turns out to be a deadly hitwoman who goes by the name the Windowmaker and also happens to be her good friend Spike's wife. Thursday suspects that Yorrick Kaine has contracted for the Windowmaker's services, because Thursday is one of the few people in the real world who can reveal his true identity and deport him back to the BookWorld. Kaine seems to have the entire country under his spell, and even Thursday finds herself being charmed into confusion by his unnatural charisma. Kaine and his conniving pals at Goliath will stop at nothing to make sure St. Zvlkx's prediction doesn't come true. As the octogenarian President of England's death draws near, Thursday must find a way to take Yorrick Kaine back to fiction before the Windowmaker takes her out of action.