Peace Like a River

by Leif Enger | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CurvyZoneOBCZ of Lakewood, Colorado USA on 12/9/2004
Journal Entry 1 by CurvyZoneOBCZ from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, December 09, 2004
This book has been registered as a member of the bookshelf in the Hampden/Wadsworth Curves in Lakewood, Colorado. If you find this book, please write a journal and make any other relevant notes so all the previous and future readers can track this book’s journey. If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site; welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, Antof9, as the member who referred you.

Journal Entry 2 by CurvyZoneOBCZ from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Saturday, December 11, 2004
Reserving for another OBCZ.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMoemwing from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, January 28, 2005
Arrived by M-bag yesterday, all the way from Colorado! I intend to make this book travel the Netherlands. So I will either release it at an OBCZ, or hand it to another Bookcrosser. It might be read or lent to someone else first, though.
Thank you so much!

I love the cover on this one.

Journal Entry 4 by wingMoemwing at OBCZ A Priori, opgeheven in Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, February 14, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (2/14/2005 UTC) at OBCZ A Priori, opgeheven in Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands

In het kistje.

Journal Entry 5 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, February 27, 2005
I took this one home with me, judging it, true, by its cover. All the way from the States! Books Crossing the ocean!

Journal Entry 6 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, April 21, 2005
There's this eleven year old Reuben, asthmatic and just a tad selfish, who finds himself thrown into dramatic events, together with his family: his father - loving, pious and ever so forgiving, his eight year old sister Swede, a poetic genius and way too wise for her age, and sixteen year old brother Davy, whose protectiveness of the family gets the story to go, taking place in the winter of 1963 on the Great Plains.

My goodness, what a great book. It seems as if the previous readers have not read it at all - this is your loss! I finished it in five days, hungry for the development of the story and eager to feed myself with the beauty of those words. There is this review on the back cover, from a Tom Walker of 'the Denver Post' who describes it very accurately: "Once in a great while, a book comes along that has such wonderful characters and marvelous prose, that you read it as much for the pure joy it offers on every page as to find out how it ends." My experience exactly.
So, I found out how it ends. The ending was a bit disappointing, though.
And I do not need to be drawn into the story by being addressed directly, such as here: "Now, be warned. I must witness here against myself, and so, as a human brimful of vainglory, may attempt excuse. If so, pay me no mind. The fit will pass."
Other than that, it was a great read, very recommendable. Thank you, earlier bookcrossers, for making this available to me!

I will take this with me to our next bookcrossing meetup, it being of the category "too beautiful to let go".

Journal Entry 7 by biba89 at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, January 14, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/20/2011 UTC) at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands

Naar de OBCZ in het Meester Geertshuis.