Book of Ruth, The

by Jane Hamilton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by SthrnRdr of Destin, Florida USA on 8/27/2002
Journal Entry 1 by SthrnRdr from Destin, Florida USA on Tuesday, August 27, 2002
I couldn't get into this book. (I think it was one of Oprah's Book Club books.) Hope someone else enjoys it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFancyHorsewing from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Friday, September 20, 2002
I just received it from SthrnRdr in exchange for one of mine. Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by wingFancyHorsewing from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004
I found The Book of Ruth disturbing, depressing, and haunting, but I couldn't put it down. Just had to keep reading, to find out what happens next. The horriying climax is indescribable.

Journal Entry 4 by wingFancyHorsewing from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Thursday, May 27, 2004
Sending it to a bookcrosser in Kentucky today or tomorrow.

Before I send it, I want to add a few words about it. This book has remained in my mind like few others. It was disturbing, yes, and I didn't enjoy reading it, but it has made me think, and consider in a new way people I might not have given a second thought. The main character in The Book of Ruth was so unlike me that I had trouble relating to her, but I was able to see that people like her aren't just "poor white trash." They have feelings, emotions, dreams, hopes, and maybe make poor decisions for lack of perceiving better choices.

I won't just dismiss such people when I see them around town, or read about them in the newspaper. I will try to remember that they are real people with real lives, and problems that I can't imagine.

Journal Entry 5 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Thursday, June 03, 2004
arrived today. Thanks FancyHorse!

Journal Entry 6 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, November 23, 2007
I had a hard time getting into this book. At first, it was difficult to figure out where the book was going. At some point, the story picked up, and then I couldn't put it down. I knew it was heading toward something big, but the climax both surprised and horrified me. As others have mentioned, the book is sad and haunting. The characters are complex, and I was left, at the end, not knowing quite how I felt about the characters.

Released 11 yrs ago (11/23/2007 UTC) at Started by Jenptcfan in X Chromosome Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Adding to the X Chromosome Bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by jnpert from Ridgefield, Connecticut USA on Monday, December 17, 2007
Grabbed this from the Bookbox. Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by jnpert at River Edge, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, February 09, 2011
As others have said before me, I can't say that I "enjoyed" this book although the writing was beautiful and the characters so distinct. But it was haunting and you can't help being caught up in the story.

Journal Entry 10 by jnpert at River Edge, New Jersey USA on Saturday, June 11, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/11/2011 UTC) at River Edge, New Jersey USA

Sending to dutch-book as part of my Trade PB VBB.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, June 18, 2011
Arrived today in the mail. Thank you jnpert! I haven't heard anything of this author before, I wonder if she publishes books here in the Netherlands. I just read the different journal entries and thus am very curious about it, since the journal entries are mixed.