As the Crow Flies

by Jeffrey Archer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Plinius of Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 11/19/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, November 19, 2004
from a big stack of books I got from Binebal

Journal Entry 2 by Plinius at OBCZ Café Averechts in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, January 20, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (1/23/2005 UTC) at OBCZ Café Averechts in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Journal Entry 3 by sarana from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, January 23, 2005
My mother and I are big fans of Jeffrey Archer's novels and short story collections. At the BC-meeting in Utrecht today I found two Archer books that I haven't read yet. I'll try to pass them along to my mother also...
Thanks Plinius!

Journal Entry 4 by sarana from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, August 04, 2005
I read As the Crow Flies on my holiday. Another brilliant Archer book... Somehow his writing style appeals to me very much. He can make anything interesting and exciting, from British politics to American newspaper empires to this book's adventures of a London fruit-and-veg boy. Lots of great characters roll by, and I was really sorry to leave them behind when the last page had been read...

The "blurb" from the back says:
When Charlie Trumper inherits his grandfather's fruit and vegetable barrow, he inherits as well his enterprising spirit, which gives Charlie the drive to lift himself out of the poverty of Whitechapel, in London's East End. Success, however, does not come easily or quickly, particularly when World War I sends Charlie into combat and into an ongoing struggle with a vengeful enemy who will not rest until Charlie is destroyed.
As the crow flies, it is only a few short miles from Whitechapel to Chelsea Terrace where Trumper's, the world's largest department store, will have its beginnings. But for Charlie Trumper, following threads of love, amibition, and revenge, it will be an epic journey that carries him across three continents and through the triumphs and disasters of the twentieth century, all leading towards the fulfillment of his greatest dream.

Editted to add:
During a discussion on the bookcrossing forum about usage of first or third person, I thought about this book again and wrote:
"...One more thing: I think an author shouldn't switch back and forth between 1st and 3rd a lot. I recently read "As the crow flies" by Jeffrey Archer, and although I love his style of writing, I didn't like the constant switching he did in this book. As with most Archer books, the point of view changes every few chapters, which is fine of course, but with every new point of view Archer would write one chapter in 1st person, and then the rest in 3rd. I think I get why he did it, trying to get the reader into the new character as quick as possible. However, it felt a bit messy at times. I would have liked it better if he had stuck to one of the options all through the book."

Journal Entry 5 by sarana from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, December 18, 2005
During the Sinterklaas weekend I gave this book to my mother. I know she likes Archer too, so I hope she likes this one as much as I did.

Journal Entry 6 by sarana from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
As the Crow Flies is back with me again. My mother read it and really enjoyed it, as I had hoped.

Journal Entry 7 by steentje from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, February 27, 2009
Got this book from sarana. Thanks! For now it is going on my mount TBR but I hope to 'report' back soon!

Journal Entry 8 by steentje from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, May 30, 2009
I loved this book! :)

When I read a book by Archer I either love it or hate it, and 'As the crow flies' obviously fell into the first category!

The story is exciting, and all the different points of view make this novel into a great read.
I agree with sarana: it's sad to leave Charlie, Becky and all the others behind....