The Jungle

by Upton Beall Sinclair | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Piper79 of Herndon, Virginia USA on 11/10/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Piper79 from Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 9, 2005
I was not too impressed with this book. The beginning really pulled me in. The plight of Jurgis seemed real enough to me, but then the book began to lack focus. The end was all out preaching about socialism. I didn't expect that at all and it detracted from the main story, however, I do understand the road Sinclair was attempting to have the reader follow. While I don't have a problem with socialism, I do not really want to read 30 pages of pure preaching with little to do with the main character. I found the Afterword interesting and it put everything in perspective. I especially found the last paragraph a good summation what Sinclair was trying to achieve...
"As long as poverty exists, the force of its frustrations and hopelessness will torment and crush the souls of many who endure it. The depiction of this tragic process gives The Jungle its lasting appeal and was Sinclair's best argument for his doctrines of Socialism."

Journal Entry 2 by Piper79 at - By Hand in Given To A Friend, Friend -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 17, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (6/15/2006 UTC) at - By Hand in Given To A Friend, Friend -- Controlled Releases

Given to a non-bookcrossing friend.