The Other Boleyn Girl

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LoveTeaAndBooks of Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on 11/1/2004
Journal Entry 1 by LoveTeaAndBooks from Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Monday, November 01, 2004
Another book on my ever-expanding "to read" list. I need to read faster or buy books slower! :)

Released 16 yrs ago (11/30/2004 UTC) at RABCK to fellow Bookcrossing member in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

sent through mail to LennyB in England

Journal Entry 3 by LennyB from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 22, 2005
Received in the post yesterday from Love Tea and Books.

Journal Entry 4 by LennyB from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 13, 2005
I really enjoyed this book. It's long, 661 pages, but is totally engrossing, and even though you know what's going to happen, because Mary the narrator doesn't, the tension is almost unbearable.
Beautifully written, very well researched, you always sympathise with Mary, and sometimes with Anne, especially when she loses her babies.
Thank you so much Love Tea and Books for letting me have this book. I am going to put it out as a BookRay, and maybe it will eventually find it's way back to you. :0)

Journal Entry 5 by LennyB from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 20, 2005
Posted today on the start of it's International BookRay.
The participants are
blaizezabini12 Romania
Irishajo Indiana USA
jillmari3 Florida USA
Love Tea And Books Tennessee USA

Love Tea and Books if you would like to go on the end let me know.

Please journal the book as soon as you receive it, and try to send it on within a month.

02/06/05
Have heard from Love Tea and Books who kindly sent the book to me, and she would like it back. I have added her to the end of the ray.

Journal Entry 6 by rem_VPX-482879 on Friday, April 22, 2005
Received in the post today from LennyB. Looking forward to getting down to read this one. Oddly enough, above my computer in my home office is a photo of my brother-in-law with a court jester (reproduced left) at Hampton Court Palace, one of Henry's Royal Palaces.

Journal Entry 7 by rem_VPX-482879 on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A mix of fiction and fact that works very well in my opinion. My enjoyment was helped by knowing many of the locations in the book.

Dropped off this lunchtime at pennywhistler's address.

Journal Entry 8 by rem_STP-921375 on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
I'm reading The Virgin's Lover at the moment so I'm looking forward to this. It was also great to see what the new bookcrossing release bags look like - I shall go and place my order now!

Journal Entry 9 by rem_STP-921375 on Monday, July 04, 2005
I wasn't sure whether I was going to like this or not. Philippa Gregory's books are all in the Saga section of the library and I'm no Saga reader! I'm glad to say that I did really enjoy it. The writing was very vivid and I did find the story engrossing. I like this period of history anyway and it lends itself well to fiction. I think I might venture into the Saga section and check out her other books!

Journal Entry 10 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 09, 2005
Just arrived - what a heavy book. I am really looking forward to reading this, butit was pipped to the post by another ray. I will read after that one - thanks

Journal Entry 11 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 31, 2005
I love this period, and found this description written from the viewpoint of the Boleyn girl who is mainly ignored in the books about the period fascinating and quite moving. Will pm Iggi1812 to get this moving now

Journal Entry 12 by LennyB from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, July 31, 2005
I am so pleased this is going so well.
Keep it going folks :0)

Journal Entry 13 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 02, 2005
On its way to Iggi1812 - posted today

Journal Entry 14 by iggi1812 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 18, 2005
Picked this up from the post office yesterday. Its next on my TBR pile.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 15 by iggi1812 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 24, 2005
This is now on its way to irishajo.

I enjoyed this book in the end. I had no idea Anne Boleyn had a sister who had been Henry's lover before her. I am now tempted to find a less fictional account of the time! I have to say I was on the point of giving up when William Stafford arrived on the scene. I think at this point Anne is eaten up by her ambition and becomes quite disagreeable while Mary pursues her own goals in a quieter, more considerate - but equally determined - way.

Anyway - if I say much more I'll spoil it for everyone else!

Enjoy reading it!

Journal Entry 16 by irishajo from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Sunday, November 27, 2005
I received this a while ago, but forgot to journal it...apologies! I will get to this one as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 17 by irishajo from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Finally got this one finished...it was quite a fast read, given it's length. I too was clueless that Anne had a sister. I enjoyed the novel, though do wish Anne had been a little more likeable...oh well. I'll send this on as soon as I get an addy.

Update - jillmari3 asked to be skipped. LoveTeaAndBooks does not want book back.

Journal Entry 18 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Friday, December 23, 2005
This arrived today from bookrelay. I'm really looking forward to reading this. It might have to come on my holiday travels with me. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Journal Entry 19 by LennyB from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, December 24, 2005
And so my first bookray has ended it's journey successfully.
It has taken eight months to find it's way back over to The States, and to a new home there, and it is just under a year since I first received it from Love Tea and Books. Hopefully it will keep on travelling.
I just want to say thankyou to everyone who took part and well done for keeping it moving so prompltly.
I have three other Phillippa Gregory books TBR, now I've discovered her I want to read more, and I will definetly consider Raying them as well.
Merry Christmas everybody.
LennyB
x :0)

Journal Entry 20 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Interesting historical fiction. I confess that I had never heard of Mary Boleyn. I didn't even know Anne had a sister. Though while I was reading the book, my mom asked about it and I told her it was about Anne Boleyn's sister. "Didn't she have an affair with the king, too?" she asked. Whoops! Where have I been?

While I appreciated much of this book, and the view it showed of life at court during Henry VIII's reign, I was a little put off by the scheming and plotting of ALL of the characters. There wasn't a single likeable character in the book. I know we're probably supposed to be sympathetic to Mary, but I just couldn't do it. Shameless, deceptive and crude.

I know this book is really enjoyed by some, and tomorrow it will be off in the post to DoveiLibri.

Journal Entry 21 by wingDove-i-Libriwing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, January 19, 2006
Received this in the mail today! Now, I'm just verifying that this is not a ring or a ray. I read the last journal entries and it looks like I don't have to pass it along to anyone soon. Is that right???? Thank you in advance for getting back to me about that!!! Thank you again for sending the book!
Place Your Pin On My GUEST MAP! Click Here!

OK, remember I have a HUGE "To Be Read" Mountain, and a lot of promises to keep (rays/rings/trades) before I can start reading the books I want to! So, don't be disappointed if you don't hear from this book very soon. But I promise to journal as soon as I've read it, and then pass it along in true BookCrossing fashion! PS: Stamps are on their way!