A Round-Heeled Woman : My Late-Life Adventures in Sex and Romance

by Jane Juska | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 10/31/2004
Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Sunday, October 31, 2004
Heard great things about this book from a member of my bookclub so I picked it up at Barnes & Noble. Adding to my TBR pile.

**Update 2/1/05** Reserved for kristamd as part of the Lovers Leap relay on bookrelay.com

Journal Entry 2 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Friday, May 13, 2005
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was nice to see Jane take some initiative to change something about her life that she did not like. I was sorry to read about some of her pain but enjoyed watching how she grew from the experience.

Sending off to kristamd as promised. Sorry for the long wait!

Journal Entry 3 by Mountainwren from Bethesda, Maryland USA on Friday, May 20, 2005
Arrived today. Thank you for sending! I like the looks of this one.

Journal Entry 4 by Mountainwren from Bethesda, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 10, 2007
I also admire Jane Juska for her bravery, though if I were her friend or relative, I'd feel very nervous on her behalf as she flew across the country to meet strangers. Good for her for realizing that life doesn't stop at middle age or retirement, and for having the guts to put herself out there. She seems like a warm and funny person, not afraid to expose her own insecurities. I cringed at some of her actions, like repeatedly visiting the man who'd hurt and rejected her, but applauded when she came out strong on the other side.

Although I liked the writing style, I found that the narrative sagged at times. The connection between Jane's adventures in dating and the side stories she tells about other aspects of her life wasn't always apparent.

My coworker, who in her fifties suddenly lost her husband, took inspiration from Jane Juska after reading this book. She advertised on a website and has been having some interesting dates and adventures.

Thanks for the chance to read this book. I will pass it along or wild release (trying to think of a good spot to release!)

Journal Entry 5 by Mountainwren from Bethesda, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 19, 2008
Mailed to a fellow BookCrosser - enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by nicolesinger from Newport, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Whoo! Arrived today in the mail,a nd I'm looking forward to reading it! Thanks, kristamd and alsgal!

Journal Entry 7 by nicolesinger from Newport, North Carolina USA on Thursday, January 24, 2008
I liked Jane Juska, and I liked her book. She's a personable writer, and the book is a smooth read. It is certainly frank!

I had trouble every now and then keeping names straight, particularly when she'd start talking about someone she'd introduced in a previous chapter with no re-introduction and I couldn't locate the previous bit by flipping back through. I suppose I could re-read, but I probably won't.

I'm glad Juska found the courage to talk about (and participate in!) sex, even if it took her a while to arrive at that point. (It was hard for me to relate to her reticence at times - different generation, different experiences - and her stories about her early life helped me to get a feel for her perspective.) I think it's great that she was able to put herself out there, even though she did get knocked around a bit, and that she ended up with some wonderful memories and a stronger sense of self.

I think the part that bothered me most was her troubled relationship with her son. As my boys have become teenagers, I think losing them in a similar way has been one of my worst fears. I'm glad Juska and her son seem to have been able to forge an accord in the years since.

I have to say, if you read this book, be sure to read the last two pages. I detest the inane discussion questions publishers so often put in book club editions - Juska's "Non-Guide to Discussion" made me laugh out loud.

In her afterword, on the very last page, Juska mentions, "Now, too, I've begun talking about sex with my lovers." Sounds as though the adventure continues. You go, Jane!

Journal Entry 8 by nicolesinger from Newport, North Carolina USA on Sunday, June 29, 2008
I saw that luvsbooks had listed this on her wishlist. I have her address and will probably mail after Thursday 7/3 (payday).

Mailed from the Morehead City Post Office 7/3/08.

Journal Entry 9 by luvsbooks from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, July 08, 2008
How truly kind of nicolesinger to send this book to me as a RABCK! The book looks very interesting. Thanks again!