corner corner Stories for Children

Stories for Children
by Isaac Bashevis Singer | Literature & Fiction
Registered by brideofmessiah of Hillsboro, Missouri USA on 9/20/2002

status (set by robert-n-kate):

Journal Entry 1 by brideofmessiah from Hillsboro, Missouri USA on Friday, September 20, 2002

Mailed to robert-n-kate 11/2/02

Journal Entry 2 by brideofmessiah from Hillsboro, Missouri USA on Tuesday, November 12, 2002

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 3 by brideofmessiah from Hillsboro, Missouri USA on Monday, November 18, 2002

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 4 by robert-n-kate from Baltimore, Maryland USA on Monday, November 18, 2002

We got this book from Brideofmessiah (Thank You!) for Kate. But, upon browsing through it, I think it will surely be for both of us. I'm going to rate it an 8 for the moment, but I suspect that will rise as we have time to read, and re-read, it completely. Yep, there’s a reason Singer won the Nobel Prize (in Literature, 1978; "for his impassioned narrative art which, with roots in a Polish-Jewish cultural tradition, brings universal human conditions to life").

From the introductory "Author's Note":
"I still think that the power of the word is the best medium to inform and entertain the minds of our youngsters." (pg x)

A sampling:

"After a while, Trufa dozed off. This wasn't sleep but a strange languor. Trufa awoke and to her amazement found that she was no longer hanging on the tree. The wind had blown her down while she slept. This was different from the way she used to feel when she awoke on the tree with the sunrise. All her fears and anxieties had now vanished. The awakening also brought with it an awareness she had never felt before. She knew now that she wasn't just a leaf that depended on every whim of the wind, but that she was part of the universe. She was no longer small or weak or transient, but part of eternity."
['Ole & Trufa: A Story of Two Leaves' (pg 253)]