Eiger Dreams : Ventures Among Men and Mountains

by Jon Krakauer | Nonfiction |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 10/30/2004
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 30, 2004
I've read some of Krakauer's books before, and enjoyed this so I figured I would pick it up.

From Chapters:
In this collection of his finest essays and reporting, Jon Krakauer, best-selling author of Into the Wild, writes of mountains and the daredevils, athletes and misfits who climb them, from the memorable perspective of one who has himself struggled with "risk addiction." Eiger Dreams watches men hurl their sanity to the harshest peaks in the world, dying for another adrenaline rush, another metaphor for triumph. This account spans the globe, from Alaska to the Alps to find the recurrent theme that bonds these thrill-seekers: danger.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 26, 2008
Krakauer has summited some of the highest peaks in the world. He has a lot of stories of heroism and tragedy. This book is a compilation of articles that Krakauer has written about his experiences (mostly in Alaska) and the tales of others in the climbing world. Not all of these pieces are incredibly interesting, however there were two that I really enjoyed.

The first was about ice climbing and specifically climbing waterfalls in Alaska that have frozen for the winter. Putting your trust in ice to hold your weight and travelling a thousand feet straight up is something else. There is a yearly expedition in Alaska for ice climbers where they attempt to climb different frozen waterfalls. Krakauer participated in this and explains what it was like.

The other interesting article was about canyoneering in the south western states. This involves hiking, rock climbing, and wading through water. Krakauer's guide tells him that there are many places in the south western states that haven't been set foot on by people at all. It sounds like it would be an amazing experience.

That being said, I felt kind of ripped off by this book. Krakauer didn't take time out to write anything specifically for this book, but rather just took magazine articles that he's already written, put them into book format, and re-sold it to make more money. Sure it reaches a different market (like me, I don't buy the type of magazines that he writes in), but it would have been nice for some original content.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 16, 2008
Sent off today in my boxing day partner's parcel!