Swallows and Amazons

by Arthur Ransome | Children's Books |
Registered by winglytteltonwitchwing of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 10/30/2004
Journal Entry 1 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, October 30, 2004
This is one of the author's most famous books and I really enjoyed it.Much better than Famous Five more believable.

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, October 30, 2004
I'm in the odd position of having read a lot *about* this book, but I've never actually read it. Lyttletonwitch has promised it to someone in Sydney, so I'll try and get it read before we go over there (in one week and 5 days - not that I'm counting or anything!)

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, November 5, 2004
I agree with Lytteltonwitch - it's much better than the Famous Five books - even though it's superficially similar (middle-class children off on an adventure), it manages to avoid most of the smugness of those books. Just a fun adventure story nicely told. And I learnt lots about sailing!

Can't remember who it was in Sydney that Lytteltonwitch said she'd promised this too, but I'll pack it in my bag and ask her when we get there.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 4 by eyeofhorus from Sydney CBD, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 21, 2007
Two and a half years later I'm finally entering this book! I'm so sorry - it got lost in the chaos of my bedroom and now I've moved house and been able to sort things out. I love Arthur Ransome's books. They are part of my childhood - a legacy from my English Father. This book filled me with the same warmth a cup of tea or a hot, buttered crumpet might.

Thank you so much for sharing. A relative who knows I love Ransome's books coincidentally also gave me a copy of this a few months ago. I plan to release this one as soon as I've finished settling in to the new house.