Father Frank

by Paul Burke | Humor |
Registered by KatColorado of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 10/26/2004
Journal Entry 1 by KatColorado from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Francis Dempsey rutscht mehr per Zufall in den Priesterberuf, er glaubt nämlich eigentlich gar nicht an Gott, was ja wohl eine Voraussetzung für einen römisch-katholischen Priester wäre. Trotzdem ist er sehr gut in seinem Beruf. Er kann die Kirchgänger begeistern und animiert sie zu richtigen Spendenorgien für gute Zwecke.

Bei einer Taxifahrt - mit dem Taxi sammelt er ebenfalls Spenden für seine Gemeinde - trifft er Sarah Marschall. Plötzlich ist nichts mehr einfach für ihn, denn diese Frau interessiert ihn so sehr, dass sein Zölibatsgelöbnis zur Belastung wird.

"This is a story about a Roman Catholic priest who runs his North London parish whilst harbouring an almighty secret: he doesn't believe in God. This doesn't stop him from being hugely successful, if a little unconventional in his work. He raises money by driving a London taxi and everything is going well until Sarah hops into his cab and into his life." (Amazon)

Ich fand das Buch sehr spannend. Es ist witzig und schnell geschrieben und irgendwie auch sehr glaubhaft. Ich habe es in einem Tag gelesen. Ein wirklich guter Fang aus dem Bücherbrocki ;-))

Journal Entry 2 by KatColorado from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, December 29, 2004
Father Frank is going on a journey now, not by cab but by post as a bookring... If you would like him to stop near you, just pm me ;-))

1. KatColorado
2. elhamisabel (Germany)
3. coco7 (Germany)
4. pam99 (Great Britain)
5. Icila (France)
6. arturogrande (Great Britain)
7. zazou (Switzerland)
8. nice-cup-of-tea (Switzerland)
9. sun-beetle (Switzerland)
10. Sunneschii (Switzerland)
11. high-flyer (Switzerland)<------ the book is here

• JohnSteed hätte auch noch Interesse an dem Buch...

... in the end back to Zürich and KatColorado

Journal Entry 3 by KatColorado at on Thursday, December 30, 2004
Released on Friday, December 31, 2004 at about 2:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Postal release in Zürich, Zürich Controlled Releases.

Der Bookring kann beginnen... Er hat zwar erst eine Teilnehmerin, aber was nicht ist, kann ja noch werden hoffentlich ;-))

Viel Spass beim Lesen Elhamisabel...

Journal Entry 4 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, January 07, 2005
Arrived today. I have started reading it and so far it's good.

Journal Entry 5 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Monday, January 10, 2005
I really, really liked this story. It's written very well, not superficial or anything. Some wit, some insights and a good story. Besides, Father Frank's parish is in London. My all time favourite city! And plus, I'm not unfamiliar with Wealdstone...:)))
I'll definitely have a look on this author.

Thanks so much KatColorado for introducing me to Paul Burke.

I've already send coco7 a pm.

----------------------------------------
26.1.05
I ordered this one and his two other books. They arrived today and it's great to be introduced to him through BC!

Journal Entry 6 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Send it out to coco7 today. Enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingcoco7wing from Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, January 14, 2005
The book already arrived on Tuesday (I took it to work yesterday to journal it, but then forgot it).
I've read one third so far and am enjoying it very much.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcoco7wing from Sprendlingen, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Thursday, January 20, 2005
What a wonderful book! It is written in a warm, funny, witty and honest manner. Some passages I had to read over and over again, because I liked them so much.
I'm going to buy a copy for my husband to read.

I'm going to send the book to pam tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by pam99 from Ochiltree, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 02, 2005
received from coco7 as part of a bookring, thank you! I'm halfway through a book that I'm sending on as a trade, but this will be next.

Journal Entry 10 by pam99 from Ochiltree, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 03, 2005
cheated and read this one first, I was 'just having a little look' last night and then by tonight I'd finished it! A lovely book, very funny and touching. Just waiting for the address of the next person on the list and then it'll be on its way.

Journal Entry 11 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, February 10, 2005
I got it yesterday. I'll rush on.

Journal Entry 12 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, February 22, 2005
Me too I very enjoyed this book and I'm sad to leave Father Frank !

Thanks KatColorado for your ring.

I send it to Arturogrande.

Journal Entry 13 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 26, 2005
I'm looking forward to reading this one - thanks very much.

Journal Entry 14 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 19, 2005
Oh dear, I'm obviously out of step with everyone else, because I didn't rate this book much at all. I read in on the strength of Paul Burke's other novel - Untorn Tickets - which was wonderful.
But I just found this a huge disappointment. Burke writes in a witty, funny manner, but I just didn't like the story.
There were too many things which were hard to believe - for example, I'm not sure that anyone with A Level grades of D E and O (which is not even an A Level, just an O Level pass) could get into Oxford to read ANYTHING, not even an undersubscribed course like theology.
The whole cab driving and picking up an attractive passenger thing also seemed a bit too contrived - and as for the ending.... well, I'm not going to spoil it for you, but I can't believe the Catholic Church would be quite that understanding and accommodating.

Thanks anyway to KatColorado for putting me on this ring - it just wasn't my thing.

Now on its way to zazou. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 15 by zazou from Saint-Prex, Vaud Switzerland on Monday, April 04, 2005
Arrived safely!

Thanks arturogrande and katecolorado!

Journal Entry 16 by zazou from Saint-Prex, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Sent to nice-cup-of-tea.

All my apologies to the next in line for having kept this book for so long.

Journal Entry 17 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Father Frank was found in my postbox today (along with one other bookring book and a late birthday present, also a book!) and he will be read asap and passed on!
Many thanks Zazou for sending this (and KatColorado of course!) and thanks Zazou for the lovely postcard :-)

Journal Entry 18 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, May 19, 2005
Started the book last night and finished it with breakfast this morning :-)

I really enjoyed it, although I agree with Arturogrande that the plot is a little bit "too" convenient at points. Having said that, Paul Burke has a really nice writing style. I liked his development of all the other characters who played a peripheral role, ie Danny, Paul, and the other parishioners. Sorry, can't seem to spell today! I loved the Buzzword Bingo, I played that many, many times at work, although I never met anyone who used as many buzz words as the Mike McCabe character. Although I did have a boss (actually also called Mike!) who was very fond of using the phase "ballpark figure" which used to annoy me intensely :-)

Just off to Amazon to see what else he has written....
I will contact Sun-Beetle, and may pass the book in person at the Zurich bookgroup meeting next week.

---

Yep, will hand this to sun-beetle at the reading group on May 26th

Journal Entry 19 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, May 27, 2005
Handed this to sun-beetle at our reading group last night!

Journal Entry 20 by sun-beetle from Stäfa, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, May 27, 2005
given to me by nice-cup-of-tea at the Zurich bookgroup. Thanks!
(And of course I already started reading it on my way home...)

Journal Entry 21 by sun-beetle from Stäfa, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, May 28, 2005
I really, really liked this book. Exspecially the extraordinary character of Father Frank and his life. An easy read (gulped it down in a day...) which has a cute story and does shed some different light on priesthood.
Definitely one of the best books I've read recently - thanks for this bookring! Really enjoyed it.

Father Frank will soon find his way back to CatKolorado.

Journal Entry 22 by Sunneschii from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, June 09, 2005
This book will do an extra loop at my home... and I have don't have to hurry with reading!:-)))

Journal Entry 23 by Sunneschii from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Francis only really believed in the things he had seen, which was why he no longer believed in monsters, ghosts or Father Christmas. There was, of course, one ghost in whom he was still supposed to believe: the Holy Ghost, recently rebranded as the Holy Spirit, as if making him sound less like a ghoul and more like a bottle of whiskey would give him more credibility

I really liked the book, thank you, KatColorado! It's easy written and a fas read without beeing superficial or stupid! It's a great little book with a nice story and very well written!:-)

And I love the tape he did: Now That's What I Call Music That Hits The Right Note When Giving A Lift Home To A Girl You Fancy Like Mad Even Though You're Not Supposed To Because You're A Catholic Priest

I'll give it back to KatColorado on 5th July.

Journal Entry 24 by Sunneschii at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, July 02, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (7/5/2005 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Das Buch darf wieder nach Hause zu KatColorado reisen!:-)

Journal Entry 25 by highflyer from Vitznau, Luzern Switzerland on Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Am heutigen bookcrossing-Meeting in Zürich mitgenommen.

Journal Entry 26 by highflyer from Vitznau, Luzern Switzerland on Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Ich bin so frei und werde auf Deutsch schreiben: Zwar lese ich sehr gerne englisch, aber mit dem Schreiben haperts etwas ...
Mir hat Father Franks Geschichte gute Unterhaltung gebracht; als ich endlich dazu kam, es zu lesen, hab ichs in einem Zug durchgelesen und mich am witzigen Stil erfreut. Auch wenn die Geschichte unterhaltend und manchmal spannend ist und man Frank Dempsey gerne bekommt, kann die Story nicht recht überzeugen. Aber ich finde das nicht so schlimm. Ich schaue mir ja auch viele Filme an, weil sie mich gut unterhalten - auch wenn sie eher unglaubhaft sind. Geschichten dürfen das sein.
Danke, KatColorado! Wie abgemacht, wird das Buch jetzt noch einen Abstecher zu Rosarot machen und dann wieder zu dir zurückkehren.

Released 13 yrs ago (9/1/2005 UTC) at Briefkasten (Langnau am Albis) in -- controlled release --, Zürich Switzerland

Das Buch geht weiter an meine bc-Bekanntschaft Rosarot. Vielleicht geht es mit in die bevorstehenden Ferien!