Durable Goods

by Elizabeth Berg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ryanreader of St. Petersburg, Florida USA on 10/23/2004
Journal Entry 1 by ryanreader from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Saturday, October 23, 2004
In Berg's understated and promising fiction debut, a 12-year-old "army brat" comes to epitomize the quality that her father prizes: emotional durability. Narrator Katie lives on a Texas Army base with her 18-year-old sister and volatile father, an officer of unidentified rank. The girls' mother has died of cancer, although Katie never discusses how much time has passed since the loss. Accustomed to a military lifestyle, suspecting that her home will be only a temporary one, Katie leads a fairly ordinary existence. She and her best friend go swimming, talk about puberty and meet boys. When the inevitable happens and the family learns they're being transferred to Missouri, Katie tries to accept the impending change, but her sister, who can no longer tolerate her father's abuse, rebels. Direct, matter-of-fact sentences convey resilient Katie's point of view; the absence of a maternal figure is acutely felt, particularly in the vulnerable but violent father's frightening temper. Overall, however, this subdued tale of a troubled family is more modest than memorable, insinuating rather than fully examining its characters' motives.

Journal Entry 2 by ryanreader from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, April 02, 2006
read this in a day.........I've not read a Berg book I haven't enjoyed!

mailing this one off tommorrow as part of a ALS

Journal Entry 3 by KarinAlyssa on Friday, April 28, 2006
I went home for summer and this was here. I love wishlist books, thanks RyanReader for mailing it ! I love the fact that you leave in Saint-Petersburg, but in Florida !

Journal Entry 4 by KarinAlyssa on Monday, November 06, 2006
Elizabeth Berg's debut novel showed great promises and I can see that she has evolved as a writer. However, this story was touching and slightly distubring at some levels especially the relations the girls had with their father which could have easily veered to incest. The characters wree so alive that they seemed to burst through pages and this one of Berg's talents that I admire tremendously. Of course, some characters were less developped, but most were brilliant especially Kate, so mature for her 12 lived years.All in all, a great book promising even better novels. Thank you for sharing RyanReader !

Journal Entry 5 by KarinAlyssa at by Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 06, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (11/6/2006 UTC) at by Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Noumena12 who stole that book out of the game at one of the first ALS on bookswaplive. Enjoy Ann !

Journal Entry 6 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Monday, November 13, 2006
Thanks KarinAlyssa!!!

Journal Entry 7 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Saturday, April 21, 2007
Received from noumena12 at the 2007 Convention. How generous of you to find this for me from my wishlist! I'm just discovering Berg and looking forward to reading more of her work. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Monday, February 11, 2008
I'm falling in love with Berg's books the more of them I read. This one certainly didn't disappoint. Wonderful characters and a plot that help me interested without stressing me out too much - what more could I ask for? This was a quick easy read but the characters will stay with me for a long time, I'm sure.

Journal Entry 9 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Gave this to a friend to read & release.