Lolita

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sandyundead of Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on 10/22/2004
Journal Entry 1 by sandyundead from Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Friday, October 22, 2004
This was a free book from the Independent and will join my Mount TBR.
Blurb
'Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.
My sin, my soul.'

Poet and pervert, Humbert Humbert becomes obsessed by twelve-year-old Lolita and seeks to possess her, first carnally and then artistically, out of love, 'to fix once for all the perilous magic of nymphets'. This seduction is one of many dimensions in Nabokov's dizzying masterpiece, which is suffused with a savage humour and rich, elaborate verbal textures.

Journal Entry 2 by sandyundead from Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Saturday, March 12, 2005
I am reserving this for Hellie after katweeble and I have read it.

Journal Entry 3 by sandyundead from Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Tuesday, February 26, 2008
I finally got around to reading this! The story was interesting, but the style of writing was often quite difficult to follow, not helped by the fact I was reading it before bed, so wasn't at my quickest! Will give it to Hellie if she still wants it!

Journal Entry 4 by sandyundead at Convention 2008 in London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 17, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (4/19/2008 UTC) at Convention 2008 in London, Greater London United Kingdom

Journal Entry 5 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Monday, April 21, 2008
Picked up despite my best intentions at the 2008 Bookcrossing Anniversary Convention in London.
I robbed 20 books in total. I am weak. WEAK!
Lovely to see you all – Microsquid the endlessly opinionated.

Journal Entry 6 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Saturday, August 22, 2009
This was a lot easier to read in some ways than I had expected... given the difficult subject matter and the recent past in Ireland I was expecting horrors. What I got was comedy for much of it... Humbert Humbert is acutely aware of the ridiculousness of his existence and makes the reader aware also. He is less of an anti~hero than I had expected, but the tragedy of Lolita is no less a tragedy for all that. An interesting read and it flew quite quickly despite the detailed descriptive passages... although not quickly enough for my hubby while we were at the beach and he expected the ire of our neighbours.
Passing it on at the next BC meet - not quite a book I would wild release!

Journal Entry 7 by microsquid at Tribes Cafe, Tuckey St. in Cork, Co. Cork Ireland on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/16/2009 UTC) at Tribes Cafe, Tuckey St. in Cork, Co. Cork Ireland

At OBCZ for the BCIE Cork monthly meet.

Thank you for catching this book! Please let us know that you've found the book and where you might re-release it when you're done. You don’t *have* to read it, though!
You may remain completely anonymous if you choose. The site is totally free, there are no strings and most importantly, no spam involved. If you choose to join up, I hope you will consider using me, microsquid, as the one who referred you.
After/If you've read the book; make another journal entry on the book called 'release notes' to let me know where you're letting it go to continue its journey. (You'll be part of it's journey from that point on, too).
I hope you have as much fun with BookCrossing as I do.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by aetm at Tralee Town Centre in Tralee, Co. Kerry Ireland on Saturday, October 03, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/2/2009 UTC) at Tralee Town Centre in Tralee, Co. Kerry Ireland

In front of a toy store in Tralee - safe journey little book!

You may remain completely anonymous if you choose. The site is totally free, there are no strings and most importantly, no spam involved. If you choose to join up, I hope you will consider using me, aetm, as the one who referred you.
After or if you've read the book; make another journal entry on the book called 'release notes' to let the previous owners know where you're letting it go to continue its journey. (You'll be part of it's journey from that point on, too).
I hope you have as much fun with BookCrossing as I do.
Happy reading!