The Kalahari Typing School for Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 140003180x Global Overview for this book
Registered by pkboo of Archer, Florida USA on 10/21/2004
Journal Entry 1 by pkboo from Archer, Florida USA on Thursday, October 21, 2004
gave to my mom

Journal Entry 2 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Thursday, October 21, 2004
sent to Fire-Dragon - Merry Christmas!

Journal Entry 3 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 25, 2004
Early Christmas present - yay! Thank you, Carlissa.

Journal Entry 4 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 28, 2004
This arrived as a Secret Santa gift from Carlissa, who is far more organised than me - I am yet to buy let alone send my Secret Santa gifts! I am sorry if I was meant to save the package until Christmas - I didn't know what it was until I opened it.

The book follows the tale of Precious Ramotswe, a Botswana lady detective, begun in No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Tears of the Giraffe and Morality for Beautiful Girls. It's more of the same charming reflections on Botswana morality and Precious dealing with life's little dilemmas in her inimitable way.

I enjoyed it very much - indeed I managed to finish it in the space of day, reading it on the tube and train on the way to work and in my lunch hour. However, I don't feel it's quite as good as the previous books. It doesn't have as many interesting mysteries for Precious to solve and there is a fair degree of repetition. It feels like McCall Smith is starting to lose interest in his creation. There is one more book after this one, The Full Cupboard of Life, which I shall certainly read, and then he begins a new series based on a lady detective in Edinburgh by the name of Isabel Dalhousie. I'm looking forward to starting the new series as I imagine McCall Smith will be enjoying the fun and challenge of a new creation and the writing will be quite fresh and exciting.

That said, it's still a charming book - a definite cut above the rest - and I certainly appreciate the gift.

I shall pass the book onto Kuju.

Journal Entry 5 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 05, 2004
Passed on to Kuju. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by kuju from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, December 05, 2004
Received from Fire-Dragon today as we headed out to the London National Portrait Gallery! Great afternoon! Thanks. Will read this in the next couple of weeks as I have a few bookrings to read first.

Journal Entry 7 by kuju from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 14, 2004
Another lovely read from Mr McCall Smith. The books are starting to lose their charm as the stories are becoming more and more predictable but it was still a good read. I'll most likely release this at the London meetup tonight.

Journal Entry 8 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, June 29, 2005
I have siphoned this from kuju's shelf - I am hanging to read the rest of this series! I have been left hanging after 'Morality...'.
I know that a few BXers in Aus who were on the same list for this book as I was, would also be keen to read this.
I will read, and send it on it's way!

Journal Entry 9 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Another cute installment in this series, although besides some character studies, the story on the whole hasn't moved on a great deal.

The focus is more on Mma Matutsi this time, with her thoughts, ambitions and needs explored.

Finished this just in time to take it to a mini-Meet-Up of the Melbourne gang, held in my honour, and in my hometown! How cool is that!! Hee, hee!

Journal Entry 10 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Hawkette passed this on to me at dinner last night in Ballarat. I had completely forgotten about this series and look forward to reading this and the final instalment.

I will start an AUS/NZ ray with this book when I am done.

Ok, I actually finished this book a couple of weeks ago but what with everything else going on (illness followed by illness) I forgot to journal it. I quite enjoyed this final book in the series but I didn't think that it finished (unless I've forgotten since I read it) but I felt like I still wanted closure on the characters. Mme Ramotswe is not married, the kids are not fully settled, and Mma Matutsi has not found a husband. But maybe that is just me wanting a happy ending!

Journal Entry 11 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, July 20, 2005
Bookray List of participants:

Meganh - Gisborne, VIC
KKslibrary - Melbourne, VIC
Angela43 - Burwood East, VIC
bookworm-BNE - Brisbane, QLD
Fushmush - Sydney, NSW
Littlemave - Sydney, NSW (asked to be skipped)
Rarsberry - NZ
Cathietay - NZ <<currently here

Journal Entry 12 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, August 09, 2005
This book started its journey last night when I handed it to MeganH while at meetup!

Journal Entry 13 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Thursday, August 11, 2005
Just when I was boasting that I was all caught up with bookrings - along came two at the meetup! This one looks like an easy read which I can hand on at the next meetup. Thanks for bringing it downunder hawkette - it was great to see you in Ballarat on your brief sojourn home, and thanks for including me in the ray tramgirl.

Journal Entry 14 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Friday, October 07, 2005
An easy read. Like tramgirl, I felt it was not finished though - are you sure this is the end of the series? I have only read Tears of the Giraffe previously but was able to follow the story quite easily. McCall Smith fills in the background very well. I have PMed the next reader.

Journal Entry 15 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 09, 2005
It's not the end of the series. I believe The Full Cupboard of Life is next. I'm not aware of any others after that but he has started writing a series set in Edinburgh with new characters, starting with The Sunday Philosophy Club.

Journal Entry 16 by KKslibrary from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, October 17, 2005
Received this in the mail last week from meganh. Started reading today and will send it to the next person on the list when finished. I loved the others in this series that I have read so I am looking forward to this one.
Enjoyed this, but as a couple of others have said it feels like it needed a bit more to finish it off. Will post to the next person on the list today.

Journal Entry 17 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, October 29, 2005
Picked up from post office yesterday - thanks. There is only one bookring before this book so should get to it soon.

Journal Entry 18 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Oh I do like his style. Took me a while to get back into it but it says so much more than just the words. Very enjoyable and quick read.
I have PMed fushmush to send on but have not heard back yet. Will try one more time.

Journal Entry 19 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, November 03, 2005
Sent in the mail to fushmush today - enjoy :)

Journal Entry 20 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 04, 2005
*ooops* I've got into a bad habit of not journaling books when I receive them. Anyway, this arrived a while ago and I've now read it.

It was all a bit ho-hum for me. Yes the story and characters are charming but nothing really happens in the book! Before you know it, the novel is over. It was very unsatisfying experience. Like eating broth instead of a thick and hearty minestrone!

I'm not sure that I will bother with the next. (I guess I should if it's truly the last in the series. Can somebody promise me this?)

Update (6/12/05): Littlemave asked to be skipped. PMed Raspberry. She is moving on the 18th and would like me to post it to her closer to that date.

Update (5/01/06): Posted.

Journal Entry 21 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, January 08, 2006
This book arrived in the mail today.
I am reading another in the series so this will get read after it.
I will make sure that I have it read by the time of our NZ Convention in late February to give to Cathietay.
Thank you fushmush for posting it to me. :o)

Journal Entry 22 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, February 01, 2006
I started reading this book last night.
I finished #2 in the series yesterday afternoon, but don't have the time to read #3 at the moment.
I will read this quickly to pass it on to the next person in 2 weeks time.

Journal Entry 23 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
I gave this to Cathietay on the Friday night Meet and Greet of our convention.

It was a great book, like the others in the series, I enjoyed reading it.
I will know have to find a copy of #3 as I have missed reading it and need to know what happenend.

Journal Entry 24 by Cathietay from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, February 24, 2006
Thanks Rars for passing this on. Looking forward to reading this the second last installment.

Journal Entry 25 by Cathietay from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, February 25, 2006
I have just finished reading this from cover to cover; a fantastic way to spend a sunny saturday afternoon. Much better way to spend the afternoon than washing laundry or windows. I do enjoy the authors style, these are such light hearted feel good books.

PM'd Littlemave.

Journal Entry 26 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, February 02, 2009
Cathietay was clearing out her bookshelves, so dropped off a few boxes of books to me. Found this book lurking in one of the boxes.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 27 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, February 02, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (2/2/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Added to the book collection for the convention.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 28 by Chch2009-Con from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, February 02, 2009
Reserved for the 2009 Bookcrossing Convention.

Journal Entry 29 by wingalkaline-kiwiwing from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Picked up from the convention. Have read the first book in the series so am trying to get hold of the others so I can read them in order.