Animal Farm

by George Orwell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sandyundead of Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on 10/20/2004
Journal Entry 1 by sandyundead from Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Wednesday, October 20, 2004
This will be one of the books I use to set up my OBCZ in Durham. I enjoyed this book, even with only the most basic knowledge of Stalin. It is very clear to understand, as Orwell intended.

Blurb
'It is the history of a revolution that went wrong - and of the excellent excuses that were forthcoming at every step for the perverion of the orginal doctrine,' wrote Orwell for the first edition of Animal Farm in 1945. Orwell wrote the novel at the end of 1943, but it almost remained unpublished. Its savage atack on Stalin, at that time Britain's ally, led to the book being refused by publisher after publisher. Orwell's simple, tragic fable, telling what happens when the animals drive out Mr Jones and attempt to run the farm themselves, has since become a world-famous classic.

Journal Entry 2 by RQY-967696 on Friday, February 11, 2005
This is such a good idea! My first book-crossing book. Good message although i don't have much of a clue about history. Couldn't help feeling sorry for Boxer! No seriously, it reflects the terrible injustice humans are capable of.

Journal Entry 3 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 10, 2005
arrived today, cheers bubbleonthebahn

Journal Entry 4 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 05, 2005
This is a great book very easy to follow and you don't need to know much about history to get it.

Journal Entry 5 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 02, 2006
This one's going on a bookray, here's the list
YeDrake (Bulgaria)
jax987654321 (UK)
hshah (India)
-Psyche- (US)

Bookray rules
When you recieve the book make a quick journal entry to say it arrived and PM the next person on the list for there address.
Read in 3-4 weeks-ish and forward to the next person on the list
Make another journal entry saying what you thought. This can be as long or as short as you like.

Sent on it's way 9/5/06

Journal Entry 6 by YeDrake from София / Sofia, Sofiya-Grad Bulgaria on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
I received the book and even managed to read it before I could journal it.
Very impressive book. The atrocities of the communistic regime are depicted very well.

Journal Entry 7 by nakupenda from Vicenza, Veneto Italy on Thursday, July 27, 2006
I just received it! I'm planning a trip to Lefkada and Santorini, two of the best greek islands, and as soon as I come back (18Aug.) I'll send it to the next person in the list. Have a beayutiful vacation!

Very good and smart ; I sent it to the next one in the line along with something else to remember...

Journal Entry 8 by French-girl on Friday, October 27, 2006
arrived yesterday! Thks Nakupenda!!!

Journal Entry 9 by French-girl on Monday, January 01, 2007
I am happy I got to read this classic! Thks everyone!
I think it is still a matter of present interest. Never take anything for granted, especially democracy...
I am glad Orwell's preface on freedom of speech was included in the edition. His quote of Voltaire ("I detest what you say; I will defend to the death your right to say it") reminded me of the Danish cartoon affair. A bit further, Orwell states "(these) people don't see, if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you"... Guantanamo bay...???
Sorry for the delay! Off to Niktu as soon as I get an address!

Journal Entry 10 by Nitku from Akaa, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Thank you, I received this today. It doesn't look very long so I'll start reading right away.

Journal Entry 11 by Nitku from Akaa, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
The book was as good as I remembered (I've read it once many years ago). Usually I get annoyed by too obvious analogies but here it was well made. I enjoyed especially the very last few lines.

I've sent the book onward to ababaigalit.

Journal Entry 12 by ababaigalit from Modi'in, Israel Israel on Sunday, February 18, 2007
Well it arrived today to my mail box. Thanks Nitku for sending it to me and thanks shimy crazy for allowing to take part in these bookring. I' ll start it right away so I can send it as fast as I can to the next person.

27.02.07:
---------
"Animal farm" is to this day one of the best attempts to criticize a totalitarian regime through the means that literature provides: the power of words. George Orwell (1903- 1950) wanted to help others to realize things that for him were evident, and attempted to do so by writing a fable that can easily be read as a satire of the Russian Revolution. Orwell said in an article that "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it. It seems to me nonsense, in a period like our own, to think that one can avoid writing of such subjects. It is simply a question of which side one takes and what approach one follows".
When I' ll have CaterinAnna's address so I can send it to her and continue the bookray.

Journal Entry 13 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Mea culpa! This arrived about a week ago, but I have been a bad Bookcrosser and am not up to date with my Journal Entries.
It is at the top of Mount Toobie and will be started tonight & completed tomorrow ...

Journal Entry 14 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, March 30, 2007
I enjoyed this book far more this time than when I read it in my teens: probably because I know a bit more about the regime that is being described through the analogy.

Released 12 yrs ago (3/30/2007 UTC) at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

In the post to jax987654321 today.

Journal Entry 16 by wingjax987654321wing from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 02, 2007
Part of a book ring/ray as it is on the BBC Top 100 books and I am trying to read all of them (not all at one time!) I have heard a lot about this book, so am looking forward to reading it. It comes at a gap in my reading and does not look very long, so should be on its merry way again fairly soon.
Thanks for sending it.

Journal Entry 17 by wingjax987654321wing from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 03, 2007
I started reading this last night and as it was such a short book, I finished it in a couple of hours. Now I know what all the fuss was/is about. A very clever book, using animals to show what humans also do. The changes in the "rules" and the clever way of hiding this and praying on peoples uncertainty, lack of education, intelligence or opportunities is something that is played out in probably every country of the world in some guise or other, some countries having more "protection" for the vulnerable than others.
Glad I read this, it was light relief from some of the emotionally heavy (and long) books I have read recently.
Thanks for sharing it.
As soon as I get the address off the next person, it shall be off on it's merry way!

Journal Entry 18 by wingjax987654321wing from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 03, 2007
hshah has asked to be skipped, so PMing next person

Journal Entry 19 by wingjax987654321wing from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 24, 2007
This book has been on a virtual travelling trip! It has been claimed by someone else, while still sitting on my bookshelf!
I've recaught it!

Released 12 yrs ago (6/3/2007 UTC) at Natural Cafe, 216-218 Chiswick High Road in Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom

On the window sill next to the door, along with about 10 other books. While you are there, check out the wonderful food! I had museli and it certainly beat the usual muffin I usually have in a cafe and filled me up for ages!

Journal Entry 21 by ivorw from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, June 21, 2007
Picked up from the Natural Cafe.

Journal Entry 22 by ivorw at University Hilton in Houston, Texas USA on Thursday, June 28, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (6/29/2007 UTC) at University Hilton in Houston, Texas USA