The Bingo Palace

by Louise Erdrich | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Atlanta, Georgia USA on 10/18/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Monday, October 18, 2004
I just somehow couldn't read this one, though at times I've admired Erdrich.

From Library Journal:

Immediately upon returning to his North Dakota Chippewa reservation, Lipsha Morrissey--having failed in the outside world--falls head over heels in love with the beautiful Shawnee Ray. She is the fierce and ambitious mother of the illegitimate son of Lyman Lamartine, owner of the Bingo Palace and a powerful force on the reservation. Lyman is determined to marry Shawnee Ray, who is just as determined to elude him and go to college. When Lipsha goes to work for Lyman, he also enters into a battle for Shawnee Ray's affections, calling first on the magic of tribal elder Fleur Pillager, then on luck, and finally on traditional tribal religion. Erdrich's fourth novel is at once comic and moving, magical and realistic, and filled with evidence of her awesome descriptive powers. The affecting ending makes the reader hungry for more; those who haven't already read Erdrich's previous novels will want to begin with Love Medicine, Erdrich's first novel of her reservation series.
- Patricia Ross, Westerville P.L., Ohio
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
This one will be set free soon, perhaps this evening.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 30, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/30/2009 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

I'm sorry that this bookcrossing journey was delayed. I'm happy to have found this book, a resident of my bookshelf for many years now, a welcoming new home with Tarna in lovely Tampere.

Journal Entry 4 by Tarna from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, May 14, 2009
I’m so sorry! I’ve no idea when your package actually arrived—a week or two ago, perhaps—because I don’t think I ever got the first notification. Unless, of course, it looked like the one I accidently found today... Usually, if you’re not home when the mail arrives, the post delivery person leaves a kind of a postcard telling when and where you can pick up your mail. And if you don’t, the second postcard comes later. This time there was no postcard but a small piece of paper saying there was a package waiting and all the other info was on the first notification I’ve got. — Our postal service is saving money where ever they can.
But you don’t, sending all these books to me. I’m overwhelmed, totally overwhelmed.
The Bingo Palace... Ever since I first read something by Louise Erdrich, I wanted to read this particular book too. And now I can. I’m happy. :D
THANK YOU, CORDELIA-ANNE! THANK YOU! I just had to shout it out loud.
It was also nice to learn a bit about your family’s heritage. And the picture on the postcard is lovely!

Edited to add (on Dec. 28, 2010) that this book is now reserved for AspenYard.

Journal Entry 5 by Tarna at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Changing the book's status doesn't seem to go through, so I need to make a new entry. This book is now reserved for AspenYard. I'll just read the book first. May take some time though. AspenYard said that she won't have time for pleasure reading until summer anyway.

Journal Entry 6 by Tarna at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, March 24, 2011
It's easy to believe Louise Erdrich writes also poetry. She creates really beautiful sentences, I truly enjoy them. I didn't, however, get a grip on the characters—there were so many of them!—or the story (or maybe I should say 'stories'—there were, actually, quite a few of them, too). I probably should have read Love Medicine before this novel. I just didn't realize it until I was in the middle of The Bingo Palace and didn't want to leave it unfinished for the moment. Ah well, I'll have to get to know Lipsha and others a bit better some time later, I do have both Love Medicine and the Finnish translation Anna meille siivet waiting to be read someday.
Louise Erdrich is a great writer. It's always a pleasure to read her texts. I must admit, though, that out of her four novels I've read so far (The Beet Queen, Tracks, The Crown of Columbus. and The Bingo Palace, I still like Tracks most.
Thank you so much for this reading experience, cordelia-anne!
The Bingo Place is reserved for AspenYard. I hope Kemppu will take it to Turku with her in early April.

Journal Entry 7 by Tarna at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/29/2011 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

At the local meet-up, Kemppu kindly took the book and promised to carry it to Turku next week-end. Thanks, Kemppu! Enjoy, AspenYard!

Journal Entry 8 by AspenYard at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Thank you very much for this wish list book. Louise Erdrich is one of my favourite writers - I enjoy her observations of the life of native americans. I've already read Love Medicine, and Beet Queen is waiting on the shelf.

And thank you Tarna for the add-ons, too, really cute :-)