The Secret History

by Donna Tartt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 10/11/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, October 11, 2004
I bought this trade paperback at the Friends of the Library Used Bookstore in Wheaton, Maryland.

From the back cover of the book:
"When Richard Papen arrives at Hampden College in New England, he is quickly seduced by the rhythms of campus life--and in particular by an elite group of five students, Greek scholars, worldly, self-assured,and, at first glance, highly unapproachable. Yet as Richard is accepted and drawn into their inner circle, he learns a terrifying secret that binds them to one another; a secret about an incident in the woods in the dead of night when an ancient rite was brought to life..."

Since it was a New York Times Bestseller, I thought I'd offer it up as an international bookray. If you're interested in joining, please PM me with your mailing preferences. This bookray will remain open to new participants at all times. Be aware, however, that the order of the list is subject to change based on mailing preferences, geography, or originator's whim.

Begin International Bookray: (11/05/04)
SqueakyChu (Maryland) done
Tubereader (UK) done
ElHurricane (Portugal) done -- 4 years of travel
Supertalya (South Korea) done
jneni (Singapore) done
End International Bookray: (05/05/09)

This bookray was ended because it ran out of participants wanting to read this book. This book has travelled over four year, with 26 stops, to 10 countries including seven states within the United States. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, November 16, 2004
This book just blew me away! I was completely captivated by this dark, forboding tale of a college freshman trying to fit into a strange, tight-knit group of friends studying ancient Greek. It's an incredible page-turner and a magnificent story. The characters, the tension, the setting, the flow of the story, the ease of reading it---all, just fabulous!

To the others on this bookray, you're in for a treat...

I'll now be sending this book on to guinaveve in Ohio. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Saturday, November 20, 2004
Recieved today. I will start it this evening and give a summary when I am done. Thank you SqueakyChu for starting this ray.
edited to add-
I started this book and realized that I already read it a few years ago. I thought I would read it again anyway as I wasn't remembering it very well, but I got about 20 pages in and it was all coming back to me. I have so much to read, I don't want to reread stuff, so I am going to pass this on to the next person on the list.
As for my impressions of the book:
I remember being really caught up in the story. It was one of those books that keep you wondering what exactly is going on until the end.

Journal Entry 4 by guinaveve at USPS in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 02, 2004
Released on Friday, December 03, 2004 at about 9:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at USPS in postal mail, A Bookray Controlled Releases.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by ArizonaFyre from Superior, Arizona USA on Saturday, January 01, 2005
Received by mail on Dec. 23rd - set aside for the holidays. I'm back in reading mode & am looking forward to a few new novels. So far, I'm having difficulty getting into this book as it is very dark & full of mystery. Perhaps it's the time of year. I'll let you know how it goes.

Journal Entry 6 by ArizonaFyre from Superior, Arizona USA on Wednesday, February 23, 2005
This story holds its reader with an air of darkness & drama. Although it took me awhile to complete, the storyline kept me coming back with a need for "more".

The book is on its way to PaigeTurner124 in Texas. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by PaigeTurner124 from Cibolo, Texas USA on Thursday, March 03, 2005
I received this book today as a part of a bookring. I'm near the end of my current book and will start on this one next.

Journal Entry 8 by PaigeTurner124 from Cibolo, Texas USA on Thursday, April 07, 2005
I just finished this book last night. It is going to take me some time to figure out what I want to write about it in my journal entry, but wanted to make a note that I have sent this on to the next person today.

Journal Entry 9 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Received yesterday! Will start as soon as I finish the current book ring book I am reading.

Journal Entry 10 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, May 02, 2005
Awesome! Totally awesome! Like SqueakyChu said, it just blew me away! The horrible thing these students did, and yet you feel sympathy for them. Donna Tartt is a master! I definitely want to read The Little Friend now. Thanks for sharing Squeaky!

This is on it's way today to Silverstarry!

Journal Entry 11 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Just received this in the mail today - can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 12 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Wednesday, May 25, 2005
I have been meaning to read this book for a long time, so thank you to SqueakyChu for starting this bookray! As I read this book, I had a strange feeling of deja vu. At first I wondered if I, like guinaveve, had already read this book. I realized that the feeling of familiarity was due to the fact that many elements of the book have been used elsewhere: a poor kid trying to fit in with the rich kids, a murderous secret, a teacher highly esteemed by his students but not looked upon kindly by others outside the group, a rosy-hued period of comraderie, etc. That's not to say that the novel is derivative, just that there were several elements that reminded me of other things (among them: Dead Poets Society, The Rule of Four, School Ties, I Know What You Did Last Summer).

The book begins by telling the reader that the narrator participated in the murder of his friend. I read to find out the why and the how. Even when I knew what was coming next in the plot, I kept reading to watch it all unfold. Although there isn't much surprise in the plot, the author's storytelling and writing were enough to get me through the book in two days. The characters' utter conviction that they were brilliant was a little annoying (as was most of Julian's philosophizing) - it reminded me of some of the people I knew in college who I had the misfortune of having in my classes.

At the heart of this novel is a group of friends - their relationships with one another and their shifting loyalties are what really kept me interested. I found some of the reveals in that vein to be veering into soap opera territory, but it was nice to see that the characters didn't remain a static group of cheery "best friends forever" saccharine. They became bound to one another due to the decisions they made (or let other people make for them), sharing a horrible secret that they knew they could never tell anyone else.

Thanks again to SqueakyChu for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 13 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Friday, May 27, 2005
Mailed to Maddog1404 today!

DC# 0304 1070 0002 4158 9271

Journal Entry 14 by Maddog1404 from Savannah, Georgia USA on Friday, June 03, 2005
Just arrived a few minutes ago

Released 14 yrs ago (6/11/2005 UTC) at -- Mail, by hand, rings, RABCks, controlled release, swap, etc in Savannah, Georgia USA

On it's way to the next stop. Going to Canada, So no DC #

Journal Entry 16 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 24, 2005
I got this one in the mail today. Thanks for sending it!

I'm in the middle of midterm exams right now, but I'll get around to this as soon as I can.

(This book is ranked 76 on the BBC top 100)

Journal Entry 17 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, July 06, 2005
After the intro to this book, I was hooked! The narrative by Richard really
makes you feel like you are there and know the characters. The story is so dark
and each character had many different good and bad traits, which made it hard
for me to decide which characters I should like and which I shouldn't. Who
really was the "bad guy" in this whole thing? It seems like it changed from page
to page. The ending was not at all what I expected, but it made sense and fit
with the rest of the story.
The alcohol and drugs seemed to become a character in this story, which I
thought for the most part was rather unnecessary, and not a wholly accurate
portrayal of college students.

I wanted to read this book because it was part of my BBC Top 100 challenge.
After reading this book, I understand why it is on the list. The Secret History
was a great and dark story.

I'm waiting for the address of the next person on the list so that I can send
this along.

Journal Entry 18 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2005
Book was sent today to janetcarolina!
Let's hope it has a safe and quick journey!

Journal Entry 19 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Sunday, October 16, 2005
Yey, I got mail! Finally, some people were actually worring about this book never arriving, me being one of them, although i'm getting used to it, don't know why mail takes a long time to get here, anyway, i'm reading this other ring right now but this one is next so it might take some time, hope you do understand. Thank you!

Journal Entry 20 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Wednesday, February 15, 2006
THIS BOOK IS NOT STALLED!!! I'm so sorry it has taken me a while to get this going. I actually finished reading it this past sunday and will send it as soon as i get an address.

I must say though, this has been one of the best books i've ever read. I really liked the plot, the characters, everything, i'm definitively gonna look for other books by the same author.

Once again, i'm really sorry for keeping it for too long. I didn't mean to but i had to put it down quite a few times due to personal problems.

Thank you all for your patience and for letting me be a part of this.

Journal Entry 21 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Flagund asked to be skipped. Pming WhiteHorsy.

Journal Entry 22 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Wednesday, March 01, 2006
This book is on the go!!! On its way to Belgium. Enjoy WhiteHorsy!

Journal Entry 23 by whitehorsy from Hasselt, Limburg / Limbourg Belgium on Tuesday, March 14, 2006
This was fast, all the way from Peru! Thanks janetcarolina for sending it along. There's one ring in front of this one but I'll try to be quick. :-)

Journal Entry 24 by whitehorsy from Hasselt, Limburg / Limbourg Belgium on Sunday, March 26, 2006
This book is longer than it looks at first sight, with it's 560 pages. It took me a week and in a way it was a bit hard to get into... I wouldn't say it's a real pageturner but as the story unfolds I did have the urge to want to know what happened and what was going to happen next... it's a gripping and tragic story. The atmosphere and the description of the characters seemed a bit 'alien' to me... meaning, it was not so easy to sympathise with them, more like watching from a distance at what they were doing...

Thanks for sharing SqueakyChu, I'm glad I read this book! I've received the address of AbPh and will take the book to the postoffice tomorrow.

March 27th: on it's way to AbPh in the UK

Journal Entry 25 by AbPh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Received through bookring. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 26 by AbPh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 27, 2006
Finally got round to reviewing this. Sorry for the delay -have moved house recently and the book was buried amidst thousands of others...

Anyway, I really, really enjoyed this book. I loved the style it was written in (accessible without being patronisingly simple) and it had lots of twists and turns. I found myself wanting them to get away with it while at the same time knowing they were in the wrong.

A good, satisfying read.

I'd better hurry up and get this to the next person. Apologies again for holding things up.

Journal Entry 27 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Thanks SqueakyChu for starting the ray and to AbPh for sending “Secret History…” my way. You'll be pleased to hear that “Secret History…” arrived safe and sound last week, while I was away, and timing couldn't be more perfect as I had just finished Daniel Silva’s The Confessor and was wondering what on earth to read next.

Upon opening the novel and reading the words ”for Bret Easton Ellis, whose generosity will never cease to warm my heart” I got excited. [Ellis if you don’t know is one of my favourite authors] With familiar place settings such as Vermont, New England and Hampden College talked about constantly through the first chapter I felt safe in Donna Tartt’s words.

It also intrigued me as to why Tartt would dedicate part of this novel to Ellis so after a little research I found that they were classmates at Bennington College, if you already knew this I apologise for my ignorance!

I’m really looking forward to continuing the story of Richard Papen and will report back to you all soon.

Journal Entry 28 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, July 03, 2006
I loved it, finished reading this yesterday and I really enjoyed every chapter of this novel, I felt so much in touch with the characters and loved their personalities. A thoroughly enjoyable read full of suspense, love, mystery, betrayal, intrigue and murder… I’d heartily recommend this to anyone. I’m on my way to a Dionysiac now but before I go I’m going to pop this in the post to Katweeble.

Thanks so much to SqueakyChu for starting this ring, I’d probably not get round to reading it otherwise.

Journal Entry 29 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 09, 2006
Just received, and it will be the next one I read - thanks for sending it,

Journal Entry 30 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Just finished - I really enjoyed it, but, like others I found it longer than expected! I thought the twists interesting, even though we had been told about the murder right at the beginning. The college experience is an interesting read to someone who has been to university in this country. Will pm Anglers Rest to get it on its way.

Journal Entry 31 by Katweeble from Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 29, 2006
On its way to Anglers rest - posting today

Journal Entry 32 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Arrived this morning. I have two rings in front of this one and one of those has 1400 pages...yikes! Should though, get the book read and traveling within the month.

Journal Entry 33 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006
Fifty pages in and I was struggling. I did want to give up, PM the next person and get the book moving, but I kept feeling I'd read a page more just incase. The reality is I read the book, and I just had to keep turning the pages, and in a bizarre kind of way did enjoy it. Some of the characters I found infuriating.

I always feel that a good book is one that leaves you remembering it and pondering on it fo a while after. This is one of those books.

I'll PM dodau for an address, and will get this traveling again.

Journal Entry 34 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006
I've had an address from dodau; so in the post Friday 18th. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 35 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 21, 2006
Arrived this morning

Journal Entry 36 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 15, 2006
Almost finished and not enjoying it that much. The characters are annoying just like the ones in her other book. The best I can say about this is that it's ok. Pming Jenatleisure now for her address

I've pmed Jenatleisure twice now so moving onto KT-J. Pmed her/him today

Journal Entry 37 by dodau at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (11/22/2006 UTC) at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 38 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 05, 2006
This was waiting for me when I got home a week last Friday but I was on leave last week so couldn't journal it but thanks very much dodau for sending it to me and Squeakychu for adding me to the list.

I actually started it last week and am enjoying it so far!

Journal Entry 39 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2006
I finished this last week when i was off work and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The way it was written was really good, starting by telling you the end but then the plot unfolding all the way through as to how they got to that point, and the twists and turns kept me totally interested throughout.

As other people have mentioned, with all the characters being so complex with their good and bad qualities, I found my sympathies with each character changing page by page and by the end I wasn't sure who I liked or whether I wanted them to be found out or not!

This was a really excellent dark book exploring friendships, loyalties and morality. I've just bought Donna Tartt's second novel, The Little Friend, so I'll look forward to reading that at some point soon now that I've read The Secret History.

I've PMd navig8r for an address so will post this on once I receive that (although with the Christmas post it may not get there until well into 2007!).

Edit 03/01/2007: This got a bit delayed with the Christmas chaos so I've posted it today. Happy New Year!

Journal Entry 40 by Navig8r from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 09, 2007
The book arrived! I'm looking forward to getting started on it.

Journal Entry 41 by Navig8r from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Sorry for keeping hold of this book for a while. For some reason, it took me a long time to read. It is longer than it looks, and while the story was captivating I didn't find I could sit down and read for hours.

Something about the character of Richard bugged me: I think the literary device of giving the plot away at the start made me super-critical of the justifications advanced (by him) for Richard's actions. I felt that his narration went through a fairly convincing explanation, justification, denial, acceptance process, and there was growth there. As others have said, that's what gives the book its legs. For a large portion of the book I actively disliked all of the characters for a variety of reasons. Curiously, the only person I didn't actually dislike was Bunny. I found myself hoping they would all get found out towards the end of the book and we would learn that he was writing it from prison, or something. As it was, the ending did not displease me.

I have also read The Little Friend, and I am hard-pressed to say which I prefer. I like the style of both, though I think The Little Friend was in some ways more engrossing.

I will be mailing the book on to the next person tomorrow. Thanks to SqueakyChu for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 42 by gypsyrose02 from Byford, Western Australia Australia on Friday, March 02, 2007
has arrived. will read asap. cheers

Journal Entry 43 by gypsyrose02 from Byford, Western Australia Australia on Monday, March 26, 2007
sorry. time ran away from me. will pass it on asap.

Journal Entry 44 by gypsyrose02 from Byford, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, April 22, 2007
sorry. this was posted last week, so should arrive very soon.

Journal Entry 45 by xtrdnry from Parkdale, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 12, 2007
I think I know why the author took 10 years to write this book. Each word has been chosen with the utmost care. I feel guilty if I try to read faster, as I'm not doing justice to the prose. Consequently I feel as if it taking me 10 years to read.
It's Mother's Day in Australia today, so I insisted I be left alone to continue with the story. Almost done. What a great way to spend the day.

PM'd Moraelyn, next on the list, but there has been a recent bereavement in the family, and Moraelyn has requested no more books for the time being. So sorry to hear your news Moraelyn, make sure to put your name back on the list, won't you.
Next on the list is dospescados who is a very busy student and has asked to be skipped for now.
Have PM'd jennannej who is travelling in New Zealand. If jennannej is ready, the book will be heading over there, otherwise it is on to the next name on the list!

May 17
jennannej is unable to accept the book at this stage. Have PM'd mellonhead.

May 21
mailed to mellonhead in Texas

Journal Entry 46 by mellonhead from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2007
This arrived a week or so ago, but I haven't had a chance to journal it until now. I'll get started reading it immediately.
Thanks everyone!

Journal Entry 47 by mellonhead from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Well written and interesting book. The characters were facinating. I thought she did a wonderful job of bringing them to life and creating a bizarre, yet beliveable story. I just finished the book and I was so sad at the ending, both for the characters and for myself. I didn't want them to move on.

I've pm'd the next person to get their address. I'm sorry I held on to this book for so long. I lost track of time. Thank you SqueakyChu for organizing this bookray.

This turns out to be a boomerang book: I sent it out and it returned to me. The postal notice says "no such address." I've pm'd Gategypsy (BooksnJava asked to be skipped-if I remember correctly, I think he/she got it elsewhere) to recheck the address and I'll try again. I never heard back from Gategypsy, so I moved on to ritao.

2/19/08 update: Emailed with ritao in December-already had a copy. I've pm'd BabyFlylady for address. BabyFly has a copy, so I've pm'd beekeeper40. Sorry for the delays.

3/3/08 update: Received an email from beekeeper40. She has too many commitments at this time and would like to pass.

Journal Entry 48 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Received this book a couple of days ago but only just had time to journal it. I'd forgotten about this ring! I've already started reading it and am a quarter of the way through. Got a bit bogged down at first but now I'm racing along. So far, I love it!

Thank you mellonhead for sending it to me all that way and to SqueakyChu for including me in the ring.

Journal Entry 49 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 05, 2008
I can't believe I've had this book so long - over a month. Made a good start on it but found it quite disturbing in the end. Very well written - obviously, it's a bestseller! - but not really for me.

Thank you SqueakyChu though for including me in the ring and I'm PMing frangelle who is next in line.

11th May - still trying to contact frangelle. Sending another PM today.

Journal Entry 50 by frangelle on Monday, May 19, 2008
Received today, many thanks. Just have another bookring book to read then will crack on with this one, then will pass on :)

Journal Entry 51 by frangelle on Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Wow! It was only once I'd finished reading this book that I sat back and thought how brilliant the storyline and characters were. Whilst reading it, I often found it a chore to read in parts, maybe because the book is so long.

It reminded me alot of Lord of the flies, especially with the shifting loyalties, and I found a couple of the characters to be unlikeable. The twists and turns in the plot are what makes this book exceptionally good. My only issue with this book is that it does drag on in parts.

Off to Tubereader now! Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 52 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, August 01, 2008
This book was waiting for me when I returned from holidays today. I'll be picking it up when I finish the one that I am reading now.

Thanks SqueakyChu for sharing and frangelle for sending it through!

AUGUST 8TH UPDATE: I am well into reading this book, already more than half way through so I have PMed ElHurricane who is next in line for their address. I will make a new JE with my review of the book once I finish it.

Journal Entry 53 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, August 11, 2008
What a great book! This is one of the books that I have most enjoyed from the 1001 list. It's such a page turner! (reading 560 pages in a week is quite an achievement for me!).

Tartt is such a great writer. After revealing the most important part of the story in the prologue, she still manages to captivate the reader through such a long book. Most of the comments I have have already been mentioned in previous JEs. The main difference from previous postings is that I managed to remain quite "detached" from all the characters in the novel. I did not particularly like or dislike any of them, therefore, I did not change my mind about them at any point in the novel.

Another comment that I have is how "intemporal" the story is. I mean, there are some (very few) references in the book that help pin down approximately when the story is taking place. But the book is so well written that it would have almost worked out in any historical environment. And I thought it was also another proof of Tartt's writting skills to be able to write such a long book without framing it excesively in any particular historical period.

I'm not sure I quite liked the ending, although I cannot really say how I would have preferred it to finish otherwise, therefore it is probably the best one.

Thanks so much to SqueakyChu for organising this ray, I have very much enjoyed this book and I am really glad I participated!

Journal Entry 54 by Tubereader at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 11, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/11/2008 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This book has been posted to ElHurricane in Portugal who is next in line.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 55 by ElHurricane on Monday, August 18, 2008
And here it is!
Thanks Tubereader for the post it to me and SquekyChu for the oportunity.

Journal Entry 56 by ElHurricane on Thursday, January 01, 2009
Just to let you know that the book is OK.
I'm with him now, but my time to read isn't for the moment to much.
Sorry about the delay.

Journal Entry 57 by ElHurricane on Thursday, February 19, 2009
I've finished it a week ago, but only today I've got the time to make the JE.
First of all, I want to apologize for the huge amount of time it took me to read the book. My life is a mess right now and my time to read is almost none.
About the book, I want to say that I liked it very much. It an easy reading and the story, though sometimes it seems to be a little complicated, is well driven and full of wonderfull details.
Thanks SqueakyChu for the opportunity.

I've contacted Kolaskruv some days ago but got no answer. I'll ask SqueakyChu what to do.

22022009: without response from Kolaskruv I'm contacting Supertalya

Journal Entry 58 by ElHurricane on Sunday, March 15, 2009
And there it goes to supertalya

Journal Entry 59 by Supertalya on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
I just received this today! Another copy of this book is on its way to me from the UK so I am going to send it on to Singapore. I am glad it made it here!

Journal Entry 60 by Supertalya at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/3/2009 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Singapore!

Journal Entry 61 by jneni on Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Got the book today! I'll read this once I'm done with my current book! Thank you for including me!

Journal Entry 62 by jneni on Tuesday, May 05, 2009
Sorry I didn't journal this earlier as there's been a lot of chaos going on here due to the flu.

The story really made me feel sad. While I do enjoy the intriguing plots, the structure of the story and character development, I find that I don't like any of the characters at all, no, not even Camilla. While I do understand that the characters did undergo some kind of stress, struggle and they are growing throughout the book, they never grow to become likeable and I find them unrealistic. I do know people still study ancient Greek history now, but to actually stage a bacchanal and run around crazily doing drugs and dressing like the Greeks...? That is just so unbelievable. Also, I felt that the book can be shorter because it took me awhile to finish it (and to actually *feel* like finishing it). While I appreciate her for including some history crash-course, I can't seem to digest everything there.

Thanks for including me. Once I get the next person's address I'll mail this off!