The Republic of Love

by Carol Shields | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 10/11/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, October 11, 2004
The latest 99p book with The Times. Another great choice, I have read a couple of Carol Shield's books, and I would have got around to this one day...honest

Journal Entry 2 by Ghianda on Thursday, February 15, 2007
My father found it: he does not understand english and believed someone lost it! IHIHIH ^____^
Now I have it at home and I am starting to read it. Will release it as soon as I finished it. Maybe in a train? Trains can go far......

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, February 15, 2007
Hi 'Ghianda' - I released this book yesterday on a vaporeto in Venice (San Zaccaria) and obviously had not written the 'release notes' as is normal. Congratulations to you - your father(!) - for finding the book so soon. I will write a review soon and hope to hear what you think of it?

Welcome to BookCrossing :-))

Ciaio, BookGroupMan

Journal Entry 4 by Ghianda on Thursday, February 15, 2007
HEHEHEHEH! My father found it so soon, because he was the driver of that "vaporetto"! When he finished to work, he must clean it and so it found the book!
I will need more time to read it, than a english man: that is because english is really not my native language. But I am happy because this is my first time in "bookcrossing" and so THANK YOU to give me this opportunity. (Twice good: a new book to read and the possibility to practice english!)

I want to start with my books, also in italian. Bookcrossing is rare in Italy expecially because we are not good in english. It seems that the average book possession at home in Italy is "less than 10" (...!!!)
I love to read and want to help others to fall in love with books!

Isn't incredible and romantic, to think that a book can travel 1000 chilometers and be read from 100 different persons, in different countries? Different lives from different persons meet for some time. The time for a book. And all of this, for the good heart of someone that want to share books with strangers. A beautiful gift, beautiful exemple of politeness and humanity... so... THANK YOU.

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, March 02, 2007
My review, at last!

*includes spoiler*

This book probably fits into one of the formulaic categories of books, something like, ‘boy finds girl, boys loses girl, boy finds girl again and they live happily ever after’. But this simple precis is to deny the quality, depth and humanity of Carol Shield’s writing. If I have to criticise anything, I found the build up to Fay McLeod meeting Tom Avery to be a bit protracted, although when it came, on page 175 it is with a beautiful simplicity, and shocking sense of the randomness of fate. The image of Fay walking down a pathway to a children’s party holding, ‘on to the strings of a dozen rainbow-colored baloons’ is used on the cover of a new version of the book.

Then there is a lovely section as the 2 lonely spirits find each other, including the ‘I love you’ and ‘I love you too’ chapters, which made my scalp tingle. After that it all went a bit more, erm, complicated and less predictable...but I won’t give away any more clues ;)

I enjoyed the linked story of Fay’s parents and the way that even old love can change, but I found the allegorical back story of Fay’s exploration of mermaid myth (she’s a folklorist writing a book on the subject) a bit confusing – I think I need an idiot’s guide! There was something about the tendency of individuals and societies to believe myths and portents; causing Fay to break up with Tom? And then there are mermaids as sirens seeking love and companionship and then wrecking their suitors on the rocks; Fay again?!

And lastly, as the book is all about love in its many forms; the title quote, ‘Almost everyone gets a chance to say it – I love you. And to hear it said to them. Love is, after all, a republic, not a kingdom.’