Peppermints in the Parlor

by Barbara Brooks Wallace | Children's Books |
ISBN: 068971680x Global Overview for this book
Registered by blurbren of Ipoh, not specified not specified on 10/11/2004
Journal Entry 1 by blurbren from Ipoh, not specified not specified on Monday, October 11, 2004
Newly-orphaned Emily Luccock is on her way to live with her aunt and uncle in Sugar Hill Hall. But why is nothing the way she remembers them? Who are all these sad elderly folk? What has happened to her uncle? Why is her aunt a shivering servant in her own house and who is this nasty-looking Mrs. Meeching? Be careful, she learns... for even the walls have ears...

Found this treasure in a second-hand bookstore - in very good condition and a cheery book cover (prettier than the one displayed here). Among all the books listed on my shelf, this is going to be the book I want to hang on to the longest. But it's such a good book that I figured it deserves to be in a bookring or something.

RESERVED FOR JULY CRAZY RELEASE (Meanwhile, Malaysian BCers may PM me to borrow)

#1. kucingkiut
#2. babyimran
#3. back to blurbren for release!

Journal Entry 2 by kucingkiut on Monday, February 07, 2005
The book arrived safely into my hands. I know I'm goingto be busy during Chinese New Year, I'll try to have a peek...

Journal Entry 3 by kucingkiut on Wednesday, March 02, 2005
This is pretty good, I finished it on one sitting. I like all those narrations of sounds - Whoo! Whoo! for train and Splash! Splash! at time of washing.

Sugar Hill Hall is a house own by Emily's Uncle. It then become a dull home for the elder people, which is run by Mrs. Meeching. While reading this book, I tried to make connection of the "Peppermints" with Sugar Hill Hall and these old people.

This book is simple, but it has an ability to keep me reading with all those mystery elements.

Sending to the next person, babyimran.

Journal Entry 4 by babyimran from Kajang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Tuesday, March 22, 2005
My colleague who collects the mail handed me the book. Shall try to get to the book by end next week. Bogged down by work that hinders me from reading the current book; Crime and Punishment.

April 14 - okay, finally able to start on this book. Should be a fast read. More from me later.

Journal Entry 5 by babyimran from Kajang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Thursday, December 08, 2005
As part of my quest to READ all my books and make way for new books, I have created a special relay BabyImran sending Books to new homes relay.

I am pleased to inform that loneflower has accepted the offer.

Journal Entry 6 by loneflower from Buhl, Idaho USA on Friday, December 30, 2005
Thanks so much for sending this book. I'm going to take it and read it to my niece, I've been telling her about this book, I enjoyed it when I was a child and she has been excited to get it read to her. Thanks so much again!

Journal Entry 7 by loneflower from Buhl, Idaho USA on Monday, January 16, 2006
Sending to Jare in Albequerque, New Mexico. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Monday, January 23, 2006
This came in the mail today, thank you SO VERY MUCH for sharing! I honestly don't remember much about this book other than when I think of what I read in childhood this title always pops up as something I liked a lot! Can't wait to read again and then pass on to some friends who I know will love it!

Oh, another really cool thing... the cover shown above is different from what I remember.. the book has the actual same cover art as the book I read as a child!

*** note, the picture above is compliments of www.bookcrossingmaps.com showing us where all the book has been.

Journal Entry 9 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Sunday, December 30, 2007
What fun! I enjoyed revisiting this story. It had been the first "chapter book" I had read growing up. All in all, it was a great children's mystery, I think I would have enjoyed it even without the "nostalgia" aspect I experienced. I am now mailing this to gillianne, who I think will absolutely love it!

Journal Entry 10 by Gillianne from Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2008
My best-bud Jarrod sent this to me in the mail...I plan to add it to the top of my TBR pile. :)